Author Topic: this isn't a request... but a brag!!  (Read 1199 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
this isn't a request... but a brag!!
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:57:23 AM »
I MADE BAGELS!!

(hope that isn't a racist remark ;D ;D ;D)

first time ever, they came out great, i am so proud of myself!! did the whole thing, the dough, the rising, the boiling water....

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Elle

Re: this isn't a request... but a brag!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:56:58 AM »
Mmmmmm, fresh bagels

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:57:36 AM »
I've neveer tried to make them was it hard

Shay

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »
I've neveer tried to make them was it hard

Shay

well, it's not any more difficult than making any other type of yeast bread, so if you can do that - you can make bagels. the only additional step is that you have to boil the shaped bagel in sweetened water before yo bake them. apparently that's what gives them that crunchy outside and chewy inside.

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:23:55 PM »
Will you please share your recipe and tips?  I've been wanting to try itand too scared but if I go off someone who has done it sucessfully maybe I'll have the courage.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »
Will you please share your recipe and tips?  I've been wanting to try itand too scared but if I go off someone who has done it sucessfully maybe I'll have the courage.

LLL:I used a recipe from a hebrew newspaper. I think that all the recipes are the same. the only thing is that you have to boil a big pot of water with a little sugar or honey. after the dough has risen, and then you shape the bagels, you have to boil them for no more than 90 seconds in the water. then bake.

the recipe that i used suggested that after the first rising and shaping the bagels, then transfter them to the fridge for overnight rising. that was the only recipe that i saw with this second rising.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 12:21:38 PM »

LLL:I used a recipe from a hebrew newspaper. I think that all the recipes are the same. the only thing is that you have to boil a big pot of water with a little sugar or honey. after the dough has risen, and then you shape the bagels, you have to boil them for no more than 90 seconds in the water. then bake.

the recipe that i used suggested that after the first rising and shaping the bagels, then transfter them to the fridge for overnight rising. that was the only recipe that i saw with this second rising.

The recipe that I use (from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice) uses a second rise.  You prepare the dough the first day and form the bagels.  Let them rise for a time, then test one in some (non-boiling) water.  If it floats, then they are ready to refrigerate.  Refrigerate overnight and then boil and bake the next day.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain