Author Topic: How do I remove a smell from a glass container?  (Read 2490 times)

Trisha

• Super Hero!
How do I remove a smell from a glass container?
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »
I have a peppercorn grinder. So, I buy the refills in those cork stopped jars. They're very pretty, I've washed it in the dishwasher, but it still smells strongly of pepper. Any advice on how to get rid of it? How about the cork? Will it even be possible?

I'm not sure what I'm going to put in it yet, if the smell is impossible to come out, I'll probably opt for some pretty pasta and just use it as decoration.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: How do I remove a smell from a glass container?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:43:52 PM »
Fill it with vinegar?

I honestly have no idea, but I know that vinegar absorbs odors if you leave bowls of it out.  So maybe filling it and letting it sit for a while, and doing that a few times will take care of it?
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:55:34 PM »
Fill it with vinegar?

I honestly have no idea, but I know that vinegar absorbs odors if you leave bowls of it out.  So maybe filling it and letting it sit for a while, and doing that a few times will take care of it?

But then wouldn't it smell like vinegar? I have pickle jars that's I'm trying to air out as well, but the scent isn't as strong.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »
Fill it with vinegar?

But then wouldn't it smell like vinegar? I have pickle jars that's I'm trying to air out as well, but the scent isn't as strong.

It's possible, but I bet the vinegar will wash out.  I dont mean to put it in there for weeks either - just maybe a day or two to give it some time to absorb the odor. 

Alternatively you could try a baking soda mixture and soak and scrub a bit. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:38:48 PM »
Ground coffee will also remove odors. I've also used crumpled newspaper in jars to remove smells.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
I usually use a solution of bicarb to get rid of smells. Vinegar is also good (except when you want to get rid of vinegar smells...)
NE England

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 10:21:29 AM »
Have you tried a drop or two of bleach?  Sometimes this works.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 11:55:58 AM »
Have you tried a drop or two of bleach?  Sometimes this works.
She stole my suggestion!!!  ;)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 01:05:03 AM »

White vinegar - fill it up and let it sit overnight.

Baking soda and water - ditto, but not at the same time as the vinegar.

A drop of bleach it water.

Are you sure the odor isn't lingering in the cork?  Glass is usually pretty good about not keeping odors, but cork will suck it up.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 01:12:49 AM »
Well, I opened the jar and let it air over night. The jar smells considerably better, but the cork is still strong. Any ideas on the cork? Will soaking it make it fall apart? I thought I'd try soaking it in bleach, but the cork is what makes the jar.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »
I'd avoid anything which would leave another, worse smell, so personally I'd give the bleach a miss.
NE England

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »
Maybe you could just buy new corks....?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 01:24:43 AM »

With the cork, I would try leaving it in a fresh area for a few weeks, but you may need to buy a new cork, as it's like a sponge for odours.

GinaH

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »
I'd just buy new corks. They really cheap, and you can get them in all kinds of different sizes.
You can find them at just about any hardware store.
Good luck!

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:42:00 AM »
So I can find the replacement at a hardware store? DH put the cork back on the jar for all of 5 minutes, and now it smells again.