Author Topic: On-line shopping/shipping funnies  (Read 1709 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: On-line shopping/shipping funnies
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »
The consumerist blog blames it on the "Stupid Shipping Gang"  So whenever I see threads like this I just go, yup the SSG strikes again

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »
I just ordered five pounds of loose tea off eBay.

The box was about the size that I expected.  It had a very large plastic ziplock bag in it (full of dried red bush/rooibos tea), a packing slip, and a single sheet of packing paper (plain cheap off white paper) folded to take up what little spare space was in the box.

I also ordered swimsuits - one came in a plastic bag, heat sealed.  The others came in a box with the bottle of chlorine remover wrapped in bubble wrap.  All the swimsuits were sealed in plastic bags, some were flat and one was not.  But swimwear...wrinkles...not really an issue.  Packing lists included, no other packing materials used.

Then there were two sealed plastic bags from the mail order pharmacy (90 day supply instead of 30 day supply) - no packing on the round amber plastic bottles at all.  There were the shipping list and an envelope addressed to the mail order pharmacy. 

But that was this month.

Last month?  More packing material in some packages (eBay) and less packing material in others.  Rather like Forrest Gump's mother said, "you never know what you're going to get".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »
A LONG time ago - back when the internet was shiny and new and MIDI was the height of electronic music - I had my very first electronic keyboard and I splurged with some of my babysitting money to buy a program that would let me write music on the computer.  In addition to the program, I had to buy a little doohickey which plugged my keyboard into my computer and translated the notes into something my composition program would understand.  It came with software (on CD!) to set up the drivers.

Except my CD arrived with something written on it.  In permanent marker.  On the shiny side.  I was still a teenager at the time, but my dad made me be the one to call the company in California to get it straightened out  ::)  After quite a bit of back-and-forth (they couldn't quite understand that no, it really did come like this, yes, it looks like someone's initials or whatnot, and no, I didn't do it myself for some crazy reason), the guy on the phone finally said something like "I guess Mike did that when he was packing the boxes" and promised to send me a new CD.

I initially assumed this was a big professional company, but now I'm wondering (given that it was a somewhat specialized market at the time) whether it was just a couple of guys selling widgets out of their garage on the sparkly new internet thingy  :P

menley

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 04:44:43 AM »
I once ordered a lamp online - the entire lamp base was glass, and it was quite large, maybe 2 feet tall? So when the box arrived and it was bashed in on all sides, I took several pictures of the box and the process of opening the box, as I suspected the lamp inside would be damaged. I was correct - when I got the box open, thousands of shards of glass showered over my floor. Luckily I had thought to put a tarp down.

I contacted the store, attaching the photos, and they made arrangements to send me a new lamp. When they did, I asked them what they wanted me to do with the broken lamp's shade (which was shipped in a separate box and was undamaged), and I also asked whether they needed me to give UPS the shattered lamp and the damaged box for some sort of evidence. They responded that I should just keep the 2nd lampshade and throw away the shattered lamp and box.

So I did. And then two weeks later, I got an e-mail from UPS stating that they needed to come pick up the shattered lamp and the damaged box so they could "determine who was at-fault for the damages". This after I had already received my free replacement and the garbagemen had long ago picked up the damaged box! I told them as much and copied them on my previous correspondence where the company had told me to dispose of the damaged goods. They then asked whether I could contact my city garbage service and attempt to retrieve the box. Um, after two weeks? What state do you think it will be in, if it can be found at all, and how will that give you any sort of "evidence" as to the state it was in when I received it?! I gave them my best "that won't be possible".

nayberry

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 07:04:07 AM »
as you can do grocery shopping online and have it delivered or pick it up yourself, UK, the best substitution of an item that i ever heard of,  a lady had ordered rainbow trout and was delivered...... rainbow skittles!!

knowing where the store that this happened at is and that a lot of the pickers for the orders don't have english as a first language, you'd almost understand, if the store didn't have suggested subs on the orders and the picker must have ignored all the fish ideas and gone straight to the sweeties

eta

my own story,  i ordered some mugs from cafepress and 3 out of 4 were broken upon arrival,  all still sturdily wrapped but handles hadn't made it,  one email to them later and i had a full set resent and all were perfect and they even sent an extra discount for my next order.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:06:14 AM by nayberry »

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 07:27:58 AM »
A friend of mine ordered her groceries online. When they arrived, she found her order entirely complete and correct, apart from one thing: they had randomly sent her a pair of leopard-print knickers/panties. She was...perplexed. So she called the supermarket, who were also...perplexed. I'm not sure if she ended up returning them or binning them, but neither she nor the supermarket could figure out why this item of underwear was sent in addition to her regular groceries!

Meanwhile, my brother ordered a pair of sneakers and got sent a (very expensive) saucepan. The packing slip, said it was his pair of sneakers. After several abortive phone conversations trying to sort out what went wrong, brother gave up, bought his sneakers from somewhere else and donated the saucepan to us (as a Christmas present).

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »
I  once ordered a sample pack of six or eight torani syrups. They were supposed to be the little Itty bottles that are 150 ml each . Imagine my surprise when I receive this huge heavy box.   I was sent the large bottles  that are 750 ml each by mistake. I did call the company and was told to keep them as it would cost more on shipping to return them to correct my order.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 09:51:44 AM »
I once ordered some pajamas from a well known women's lingerie company. The one with secret in the name. Not only did I not receive any notice the items I ordered were no longer available, but the box I did get had in it a bra, so small, if I put it together, it might have fit over one b**b, and a small cosmetic case shaped like a shopping bag! with lipstick and perfume. The only thing in common with my order was that it contained 2 items and I had ordered two items. I couldn't understand how someone could mess up that badly, esp when my correct items weren't even available! And they had supposedly cancelled my order.

I had equally difficult time with them,explaining I had not received what I ordered, and that they would be sending me a prepaid label to send it back, as well as refunding my shipping on the initial order. And the cost of the items I was supposed to receive. I finally got through to them that this was their mistake, and they agreed, but really? You send me items I didn't order, that's on you.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »
Inter Library Loan packing. 

In the old days of RLIN there were certain rules about packing books for ILL.  The package had to be almost armor plated because RLIN libraries were often quite specialized and the material going out on loan was likely to not be available in the average library.  On a sense, any material requested through RLIN was somewhat rare. 

We once sent out a book to an Ivy League University with which we had a long-standing relationship.  That ended when we received the book back.  It was packed in a rather large box but there was no packing material at all.  There was only the book with a rubber band around it and inches of empty space. 

We took that institution off our preferred list.     

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »
Today, when I came home, there was a box at my door. Now I knew that I had ordered something but the box was huge! 2-1/2 ft. long, 1 foot high and 1-1/2 foot wide.

What did I order? A bra. :o Now I know I'm pretty well endowed, but a box that size for my bra? There was no other packing material, just the bra in a plastic bag.

Why do they do that? I'm pretty sure that there must have been a smaller box somewhere.

Consumerist.com has an occasional feature "The Stupid Shipping Gang" that highlights examples like this.  Use this link to see some of the examples.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
Oh my,  I forgot about Newegg.  My Dh ordered some cables,  a keyboard, and motherboard (might have been a video card).  They sent the cables and keyboard in a box big enough to fit everything, but shipped the $300 delicate computer component by slapping a shipping label on it and dropping it in the mail. Needless to say it arrived damaged.

When he called to make a claim the guy couldn't believe it was shipped like that. He sent them pictures.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
<off-topic, sort of>

artk2002.... I read that article at consumerist.com, and lots of other articles in the 2 hours since reading your message.

<back to the topic at hand>

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
<off-topic, sort of>

artk2002.... I read that article at consumerist.com, and lots of other articles in the 2 hours since reading your message.

<back to the topic at hand>

You're welcome!  >:D

Addictive, isn't it. It's actually a good resource because they highlight important consumer-related issues.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »
^
Yeah, definitely addictive. Art, you are an evil man.