Author Topic: Lights on, please.  (Read 2121 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Lights on, please.
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
Am I the only one hearing Linus's voice with this thread title?

Now that you mention it, yes!  :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 10:50:40 AM »
I'm trying to put this out as a Public Service Announcement.  Perhaps a "pet peeve".  I recognize that it also comes across as a rant, but it does involve safety on the highway.

In my state, the law requires you to have your lights on if your windshield wipers are on.  This is not for your benefit, but for the benefit of other drivers being able to see you in decreased visibility situations. 

This means to turn on your lights!  This does not mean that if you have daytime running lights, you're okay because the people behinds you can't easily see you.  Besides the precipitation that is coming down (rain, snow, sleet, etc.) there is also the spray coming from your tires off the road which makes it harder to see someone from behind and more so if they do not have their tail lights on. 

Just saying..... a lot of people simply do not think about it.

I have never heard of a law requiring lights when the wipers are on.  I wonder if it is a case of people not knowing.

I do find it a pita when people dont' have their lights on in poor weather.

It's the law in NJ.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »
I'm trying to put this out as a Public Service Announcement.  Perhaps a "pet peeve".  I recognize that it also comes across as a rant, but it does involve safety on the highway.

In my state, the law requires you to have your lights on if your windshield wipers are on.  This is not for your benefit, but for the benefit of other drivers being able to see you in decreased visibility situations. 

This means to turn on your lights!  This does not mean that if you have daytime running lights, you're okay because the people behinds you can't easily see you.  Besides the precipitation that is coming down (rain, snow, sleet, etc.) there is also the spray coming from your tires off the road which makes it harder to see someone from behind and more so if they do not have their tail lights on. 

Just saying..... a lot of people simply do not think about it.

I have never heard of a law requiring lights when the wipers are on.  I wonder if it is a case of people not knowing.

I do find it a pita when people dont' have their lights on in poor weather.
Many states have signs along the interstate highways reminding people. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

suzieQ

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »
This makes me glad my car doesn't have automatic lights. I am used to them in my old car, so I just turn my lights on in my new car. I leave them in the "on" position because when I remove the keys from the ignition *everything* powers down (I don't even have a "hot" cigarette plug - car has to be on to power it).

Arila

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »
I only ever had cars with off, yellow/parking lights, and on as options.

Now, my new car has at least three different settings (Plus high beams) for lights on!! I just discovered the other day that the DRL (daytime running lights) only turns on the front lights, and not the rear. Here I had been using them around twilight because they didn't dim the inner display (it was light enough outside that I wanted the stronger display, but dark enough outside that I wanted more visibility to other cars).

I think that probably some people are like me, and just don't realize that the running lights don't turn on the rear lights like the other, higher headlight settings.

baritone108

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »

It's definitely the law in my state and they made a dramatic effort to let people know about it.  There was a phase in period of a couple of months before people would get ticketed, it was on the news everysingle day during that time, and it was the newspaper headline at least once a week during that time.  Some people just don't care.

baritone108

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
I have heard that in some Scandinavian countries, the law is that the headlights must be on all the time.  Even in broad daylight and good weather, the headlights must be on if the vehicle is in motion.

It's the law in Canada (unless something's changed recently).  When I rented a car there it was not possible to turn the lights off so cars that are made to be sold there must have that feature.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »
I have heard that in some Scandinavian countries, the law is that the headlights must be on all the time.  Even in broad daylight and good weather, the headlights must be on if the vehicle is in motion.

It's the law in Canada (unless something's changed recently).  When I rented a car there it was not possible to turn the lights off so cars that are made to be sold there must have that feature.

Daytime running lights are the law.  You can't turn them off.  But those don't put your tail lights on, nor are they as bright as you need after dark.  It used to be that the dash wouldn't light up when you only had your DRL on but now, a lot of people have vehicles where the dash lights come on with a light sensor and they forget to put on their headlights.  I've come up behind a lot of people, well after sunset, with no tail lights.  Drives me bonkers.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MrTango

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 03:47:24 PM »
I tend to be of the opinion that there should be no such thing as "daytime running lights"

Cars should also not have switches to turn their headlights on or off.  Any time the car is in gear, the lights should just automatically come on.

(Exceptions could, of course, be made for certain emergency vehicles).

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
When I first learned how to drive my neighbour came out one morning and said:  "Hurricane. Please. For me.  Always turn your lights on. It makes it easier to see you from the back, especially on bright sunny days like this."  That was 4 years ago and I automatically turn on my headlights every time I start my vehicle.

Runningstar

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 05:46:09 AM »
And, speaking of lights - where I live if you cannot maintain at least 40 mph on the highway you need to put your hazard lights on also.  Truckers do this a lot, but cars/small trucks are also required to put on the hazard lights under 40 mph.  The other day during another snow shower, it was a white out on the highway and 30 mph was the speed of most vehicles.  Other than the truckers, I was the only car with the hazards on.  They help tremendously for other drivers to be able to see you.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
Am I the only one hearing Linus's voice with this thread title?

Now that you mention it, yes!  :)

Linus was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the title. :-)

Wipers on, lights on, is the law on my state, too. I've seen police cars that don't follow it!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!