News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 25, 2016, 02:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blogging: How do I start?  (Read 260 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Blogging: How do I start?
« on: Yesterday at 09:32:31 AM »
I do a gaming stream on Twitch. It's not hugely popular, but it's a hobby I do. I want to start a blog for the channel (and a personal one as well), but I must confess, the options are leaving me confused and both over and underwhelmed. Does anyone have any advice? Suggestions? Are the free blogging options worth it? Are the premium blogging options a waste of money? Help me ehell.com, you're my only hope!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
Re: Blogging: How do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:58:16 AM »
I'd recommend the free WordPress system as a way to get your feet wet and see how you like it. It's pretty flexible and is fairly easy to get started with (it gets more complicated the more you want to do with it, obviously!). And, if you do get on well with it/enjoy it you can upgrade

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:59:54 AM »
I'd recommend the free WordPress system as a way to get your feet wet and see how you like it. It's pretty flexible and is fairly easy to get started with (it gets more complicated the more you want to do with it, obviously!). And, if you do get on well with it/enjoy it you can upgrade

The problem I have with the free Wordpress is that I can't seem to figure out how to access more than five of the color palettes. Unless that's all there are. In which case, my problem is there's only five color palettes!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:07:25 AM »

The problem I have with the free Wordpress is that I can't seem to figure out how to access more than five of the color palettes. Unless that's all there are. In which case, my problem is there's only five color palettes!

WordPress' formatting options are fairly limited in the free version, so probably five is all you get. That said, I've worked with paid-for WordPress as well and there aren't stacks more options then, unless you really know what you're doing - and I freely admit I don't! For me, it works because it lets me do the blogging part quite easily. Once I found a basic theme I liked, I pretty much left the formatting alone.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:07:47 AM »
I had to use WordPress recently for a class.  I don't recall having access to only five color palettes (or themes, anyway) but, really, does it matter all that much?  You said you want to get started; I'd get started with what is available for free that'll best fit your needs , unless you want to pay for a website (WordPress, Blogspot, etc.).  Have you tried Googling for how to get started with WordPress?  I just did, and there are tutorials available, including on YouTube.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:16:39 AM »
I'll admit to being a little picky... but again, part of this is a tie in to my Twitch channel, and I'd like the theme to at least somewhat match up, for consistency's sake. I may just have to go with one of their five options, which seems a little *too* limited. I know they really want to push their Premium option, but if I don't like the free at all, that's not going to make me want to throw money at them.

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:16:54 AM »
I recently started a Wordpress site (not my first) and there are tons of theme and color options! Lots more than 5.

I also like Wix for a site generator that can include a blog.

I suggest googling 'how to customize wordpress' or 'free wordpress themes' to start.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:09:41 PM »
Wordpress is the simplest to get started with, although I used to use blogspot.

I've started playing with medium.com recently which is Twitter-based and also pretty simple, but its better for articles than a blog.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:10:35 PM »
I recommend weebly

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 12:12:21 PM »
I recently started a Wordpress site (not my first) and there are tons of theme and color options! Lots more than 5.

I suggest googling 'how to customize wordpress' or 'free wordpress themes' to start.

Apparently, custom designs are a premium feature.

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 12:23:14 PM »

popular/

There are 2,130 themes on their site: https://wordpress.org/themes/browse/

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 12:53:10 PM »

popular/

There are 2,130 themes on their site: https://wordpress.org/themes/browse/

Okay, I have found the communication disconnect! I've been looking at wordpress.com. Remember, I have no prior blogging knowledge. Okay, so you don't need wordpress.com if you're doing a wordpress blog? I'm now more confused.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:13:29 AM »
I just went to BlogSpot.com and started my blog.  It's easy to use and cost me nothing. 
sewingatlarge.blogspot.com