News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 02, 2015, 12:29:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cruising Questions  (Read 1759 times)

HannahGrace

Re: Cruising Questions
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 05:39:19 PM »
Check your cruise line's website regarding bringing water or other beverages on board, limits, etc. also as a fellow attorney what kind of training program can I sign on for that takes place on a ship?!?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 06:32:38 PM »
Tap water on a ship is perfectly good to drink.  Most ships these days desalinate sea water so the water aboard is much less likely to cause digestive disturbances than the tap water in many US cities.  If you come from an area where the water tends to be hard, tap water on a ship will be a pleasant surprise. 

Don't fall for the push to buy bottled water. We bring our own water bottles and fill them with ice before going ashore. It's always worked well for us.

Again I hope you can relax,enjoy and get good information from your business meetings. 

Please, give us a recap when you get back.

NFPwife

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 01:05:28 AM »
I think the process for global entry will take longer than a week. Here's the FAQ for it - https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/common/FAQ.html

I'll second the Cruise Critic recommendation. Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Some people are never happy.

If the bride is happy if you "make an effort" be ready in the morning, carry your luggage off, and walk off. In my mind that's reasonable effort.

I wouldn't go as far as to condense to carry-ons only. That would be too stressful to me.  I'm not sure of Delta's restrictions, at FLL I have to check bags 45 minutes before the flight with USAir. You might also consider using a service that ships your bags home. I know ppl who've used them for flights. My bags fly free because I have status, so I've never looked into it. The cruise line might offer the service.

For pop restrictions - you should be able to find that at the cruise ship's page or cruise critic. I vetoed the soda card for my husband because he would be so determined to "get his money's worth" that he'd end up with caffeine intoxication. And/ or he'd be irritated that he wasn't getting adequate service to get enough sodas. (When I told him that, he laughed and agreed. No soda card :)  )

jolyan

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 06:39:38 PM »
Its usually a 12 pack of pop you are allowed to bring. If you drink a lot look into their soda card. It can be expensive but cans are usually $2 a piece on board.

kikikins

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »
I am going to see what I can do to get everything down to a carry-on suitcase, but I'm not sure if that's feasible.  The cruise is actually only part vacation -- the rest is a training program for work.  I will be required to wear a business suit for one portion, business casual for some other portions, and a suit or cocktail dress for two of the dinners.    :-\ 

Could you ship the business clothes back before you get on the cruise?  I have family members who do that a lot when they travel.  Or could you ship things from the ship?

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 08:15:21 PM »
I am going to see what I can do to get everything down to a carry-on suitcase, but I'm not sure if that's feasible.  The cruise is actually only part vacation -- the rest is a training program for work.  I will be required to wear a business suit for one portion, business casual for some other portions, and a suit or cocktail dress for two of the dinners.    :-\ 

Could you ship the business clothes back before you get on the cruise?  I have family members who do that a lot when they travel.  Or could you ship things from the ship?

Oh, no, the business clothing will be worn on the cruise.  I'm only down there one night before boarding the ship.  Then everything, both the work portion and the fun portion, will be on the ship (and in the ports). 

The good news is that my formal dresses are that stretchy knit material, so they can be packed in very snug and still not turn into wrinkled messes.  And the best news is that I found an old one that fits again, so I don't have to go shopping yet another time!   :D

Also, it looks like Royal Caribbean won't let any beverages be brought aboard, except up to 2 750ml bottles of wine.  I think I'm going to grab a couple of 20 oz bottles at the Walgreens near my hotel and bring them in my carry-on bag -- it sounds like they only x-ray and confiscate from the actual suitcase baggage.  Otherwise, I'll just do without for most of the week and pay the exorbitant prices once or twice.  I can do that. 

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 11:15:41 PM »
Update re: Global Entry -- I got conditionally approved today!  And was able to set up my interview for tomorrow!  When I talked to someone at that office last Friday, she said that you can get official approval the day of the interview, so I'd get my Known Traveler Number to get TSA pre-check.  The actual card, for customs use, might take longer.

But either way, got at least part of the miracle I've been asking everyone to pray for.   ;D

And got a new bathing suit and new shorts and am starting to get really excited.   8)

NFPwife

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 11:52:31 PM »
Update re: Global Entry -- I got conditionally approved today!  And was able to set up my interview for tomorrow!  When I talked to someone at that office last Friday, she said that you can get official approval the day of the interview, so I'd get my Known Traveler Number to get TSA pre-check.  The actual card, for customs use, might take longer.

But either way, got at least part of the miracle I've been asking everyone to pray for.   ;D

And got a new bathing suit and new shorts and am starting to get really excited.   8)

That's awesome! You'll save a ton of time with the TSA pre-check alone. When I connect at DCA, I walk through security again instead of taking the shuttle between gates because, with pre-check, it's less hassle.

It's going to be tight, but you just might pull this off.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
Hurray! Speak to the manager of the service desk and ask when you should be waiting to disembark.

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »
I MADE MY FLIGHT!!!!

And the wedding.   ;D  With three whole minutes to spare.   >:D

I did the Global Entry thing and got approved before I left -- applied Thursday, got conditionally approved on Monday, did the interview on Tuesday, got approved and received my known traveller number that same day.  Did not get the card before I left, but it turns out that customs at 6:30 am took about 30 seconds.   :P

I got in line on the boat around 5:30 -- and there were already people lined up!  They started disembarking at 6:15, so I got to the front of the line by about 6:20. 

The taxi line was pretty short, so I was able to get to the airport in plenty of time to check my bag.  That line was crazy long, however.  By the time I got the bag checked, got through security (yay TSA pre-check!), stopped by the bathroom, got to the gate, it was about 7 minutes before boarding.  Way closer than I generally like to cut it, but absolutely doable to get on that plane.

I stopped at a Target to change into my dress and this little girl kept trying to open my stall door!  Her mom stopped her and she asked why.  The mom's answer was "We already went potty."  I was like, um, and because it's locked which means there's a person in here?!?

When I finished and exited the stall, she primly said, "Thank you."  Like my entire purpose in leaving was at her request to get in.  :P

At the end of the ceremony, when the bride and groom dismissed people by row and greeted them individually, I managed to hide behind a really tall guy until it was time to actually hug her.   Her face lit up and she exclaimed, "You made it!"   ;D  All the stress was totally worth it.

(And the cruise was great, too.)

NFPwife

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
I MADE MY FLIGHT!!!!

And the wedding.   ;D  With three whole minutes to spare.   >:D

I did the Global Entry thing and got approved before I left -- applied Thursday, got conditionally approved on Monday, did the interview on Tuesday, got approved and received my known traveller number that same day.  Did not get the card before I left, but it turns out that customs at 6:30 am took about 30 seconds.   :P

I got in line on the boat around 5:30 -- and there were already people lined up!  They started disembarking at 6:15, so I got to the front of the line by about 6:20. 

The taxi line was pretty short, so I was able to get to the airport in plenty of time to check my bag.  That line was crazy long, however.  By the time I got the bag checked, got through security (yay TSA pre-check!), stopped by the bathroom, got to the gate, it was about 7 minutes before boarding.  Way closer than I generally like to cut it, but absolutely doable to get on that plane.

I stopped at a Target to change into my dress and this little girl kept trying to open my stall door!  Her mom stopped her and she asked why.  The mom's answer was "We already went potty."  I was like, um, and because it's locked which means there's a person in here?!?

When I finished and exited the stall, she primly said, "Thank you."  Like my entire purpose in leaving was at her request to get in.  :P

At the end of the ceremony, when the bride and groom dismissed people by row and greeted them individually, I managed to hide behind a really tall guy until it was time to actually hug her.   Her face lit up and she exclaimed, "You made it!"   ;D  All the stress was totally worth it.

(And the cruise was great, too.)

GREAT NEWS! I thought you had a chance of pulling it off, you are an awesome friend for even trying.  I'm glad you had a nice cruise.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 12:00:22 PM »
Terrific! What was your favorite part of the cruise?