Author Topic: Are you giving up something for Lent?  (Read 1510 times)

scotcat60

Re: Are you giving up something for Lent?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:45 AM »
The church I go to encourages doing something extra during lent, as opposed to giving something up.

I think that that is a great idea. O.K. so giving up something for Lent might be good for you, but does it benefit the wider world? If we all gave up chocolate for Lent, the cocoa bean growers and Messrs. Rowntree, Cadbury and Fry would suffer. Or if you do give up chocolate or something else for Lent, donate the money you would have spent on sweeties to charity.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
I was going to try and start exercising for a few minutes a day in the evening as well, but I'm currently sick, and I don't know how long it'll be before I can breathe again to exercise.  :P

How about just starting with some stretching?  It won't affect the breathing quite the same way as cardio exercise will.  And while not massively calorie burning, it is still exercise.  This is what I'm going to do, since I'm just getting over a cold, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MummySweet

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »
I was going to give up my cherry coke zero and other pop, but my kids came to me and asked me to consider giving up yelling at them in the mornings.  "You're really nice the rest of the time..."   

Day one down...

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 09:59:06 AM »
Careful.

In 2012 I gave up Diet Coke for Lent. On Easter Sunday I was really looking forward to my reward, a nice cold can of Diet Coke. What I got was overly sweet brown fizzy water. I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke. Now I can't stand it.

Giving up diet soda did me a lot of good. It stopped my blood sugar levels doing wacky things for a start (Acesulfame K) was the suspected culprit). It wasn't a result I expect though.

Interestingly I got some sugar free mints for the first time ever and they had a lot of the same ingredients as Diet Coke. I got an enormous well-being feeling from those sweets. 

Julsie

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »
The church I go to encourages doing something extra during lent, as opposed to giving something up.

It needn't be "as opposed to" but "in addition to".  We choose a pleasure to sacrifice and a good work to do.

I'm giving up my beloved daily glass of merlot.  A little known fact is that Sundays do not "count" as part of Lent.  Sundays are considered "Little Easters", so you can enjoy your Lenten sacrifices on those days.  :)

I dedicate each of the 40 days of Lent to a different family member or friend and offer up that day's sacrifices, sufferings and good works for that person's benefit.  I hate sacrificing!  I am all about self-indulgence.  But it turns Lent into a joy when those sacrifices are done out of love.  Today is my husband's day.  <3

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:46 AM »
I was going to give up my cherry coke zero and other pop, but my kids came to me and asked me to consider giving up yelling at them in the mornings.  "You're really nice the rest of the time..."   

Day one down...

I'd come back at them with "Only if you give up doing the things that make me yell." ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »
Careful.

In 2012 I gave up Diet Coke for Lent. On Easter Sunday I was really looking forward to my reward, a nice cold can of Diet Coke. What I got was overly sweet brown fizzy water. I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke. Now I can't stand it.

That would actually be a pretty good outcome for me - all other fizzy drinks are things I can take or leave, but diet coke is a bit of a weakness and while it's not as bad for your teeth as full sugar coke is, it would still be better if I didn't drink it (or any of the other fizzy drinks - but like I said, seeing as I can easily take or leave them, that's not the hard part!)

My only worry is that in the absence of diet coke I'm likely to drink more coffee...

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
This year, I'm doing things instead of giving up my usual cream in my coffee. Monday I picked up the check for the couple sitting behind me in a restaurant (whispered to the waitress so they wouldn't know and maybe feel on the spot.) And I'm working on embroidering pillowcases to donate to nursing homes. Some pretty flowers, butterflies, etc. on them make all the difference! Sort of a pay-it-forward take on Lent this year.

What a lovely thing to do.

That is nice! There's a guy here in NJ who's helping pay for peoples' purchases, giving them $10 for gas, etc. It's nice to see a happy story in the news for once!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
I gave up cheese a couple of years ago and think I may do that this year as well.  We don't eat much meat, so dairy, including cheese, is a protein source for me, but I believe I can work that out.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

RubyCat

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »

It needn't be "as opposed to" but "in addition to".  We choose a pleasure to sacrifice and a good work to do.

I'm giving up my beloved daily glass of merlot.  A little known fact is that Sundays do not "count" as part of Lent.  Sundays are considered "Little Easters", so you can enjoy your Lenten sacrifices on those days.  :)
[/b]

I dedicate each of the 40 days of Lent to a different family member or friend and offer up that day's sacrifices, sufferings and good works for that person's benefit.  I hate sacrificing!  I am all about self-indulgence.  But it turns Lent into a joy when those sacrifices are done out of love.  Today is my husband's day.  <3

I, too, will be giving up my nightly glass of wine at night but I drink Shiraz.  ;)  And I also try to do something positive. In my case, I'm trying to be less negative and to complain less.  It may not sound like much, but when you get a bunch of my coworkers together, we can really get each other worked up over a bunch of stuff.

Lauren7891

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 03:14:40 PM »
I'm giving up pizza and cheeseburgers.  They're my go-to comfort foods.  I'd like to do something as well, but I'm not sure what.

angilamae

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
I'm giving up cheese! I have given up the same thing for about 7 years now, always delicious, wonderful, buttery cheese. And on the Sunday after Easter, I have my annual gala 'The Cheese Ball', where everything is made of cheese!

I'm giving up cheese too!  This is my first time for cheese.  I'm actually agnostic but I do lent each year. I try to mix it up with what I give up but it's always food related so it helps with my dieting as well

I think it's totally fine to add a good thing rather than take something away but again, agnostic here so not sure.  I read an article to young christians yesterday that had a list  of wierd things to do for Lent. One was to do 20 sit ups so at least they think it was a good idea to add rather than subtract
I can resist everything except temptation-Oscar Wilde