Author Topic: Curse you Hershey!  (Read 1264 times)

demetra

Curse you Hershey!
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:21:17 PM »
I make an excellent chocolate cake from scratch.  At least I used to.

Previously, I used a store-brand cocoa.  I've moved, and that store doesn't exist around here.  So, having a hankering for this chocolate cake, I went to the local store to purchase cocoa.  Only brand they had was Hershey.  Bought it, made the cake.

Oh dear god, it's horrible.  It tastes like I substituted used oil for the cocoa. 

Went to another store.  My choices are - Droste, Ghiradelli, Nestle, Scharffen Berger, and that accursed Hershey.

Anyone know anything about those brands?  Ghiradelli makes a great chocolate bar, so it's my inclination.  I tend to use Nestle chips for cookies, so it's a runner up.  The other two I am unfamiliar with.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
Re: Curse you Hershey!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:26:19 PM »
Droste makes great everything.  I think Dutch chocolate is my favorite, period ;D

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:07:07 PM »
I'm a fan of Ghiradelli, I am also of the opinion that Hershey's cocoa stinks >:(
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

CyberKat

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 09:49:44 PM »
Nestle is decent. Droste is really good, quality chocolate without being too expensive usually. I'd go with Droste here.

demetra

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »
Thank you

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 12:22:55 PM »
Ghirardelli is great, but we get most of our cocoa from Penzy's, which you can order online.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

CynthiaBelle

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:56:51 PM »
Oh my goodness, this sounds like me, 2 months ago, I swear, my chocolate cake tasted like bad oil....

From now on, I use Ghiradelli, it is hands down amazing to work with, I also use it for home made frosting.

Best of luck.