Author Topic: Cookie Recipes Needed!!!  (Read 902 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Cookie Recipes Needed!!!
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:41:02 PM »
Our squadron is having a cookie bake off/drive for the holiday season.   All of the cookies entered will be distributed to the single dorm people on base, and the cookies will also be judged.

I am totally stumped on ideas... so if anyone has any good ideas on recipes, I would totally love the help!  I have a couple in mind, but am completely open to suggestion.

I am doing two entries, but I need to decide on two.  1)  Molasses Sugar Cookie  2)  Chocoate Cookie with Andes Mint Chips   3)  Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies with Fruit Filling.

Any other ideas?
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Summrs

Re: Cookie Recipes Needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 07:30:45 PM »
How about Chilenitos?  (Cuban Sandwich Cookies)

2 cans sweetened condensed milk      
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour         
2 1/2 cups cornstarch            
1/2 ts baking powder            
Pinch of salt                
1 lb butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs plus 2 yolks
2 tb Malibu or other similar rum
1 ts vanilla extract
Grated zest of one lemon
Toasted coconut
Chopped chocolate
Chopped salted peanuts

Make Dulce de Leche:  Pour milk into pie plate and bake lightly covered with foil 2 hours at 350 in a water bath.  After it cools a bit, whisk it until smooth. 

Stir the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl until well blended.

Beat the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk at high speed until pale yellow and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and yolks one at a time. Beat in the rum, vanilla and zest. Switch to the paddle attachment and add 90% of the dry ingredients. Mix at low speed just until incorporated. The dough should form a soft ball but not be sticky or runny. If necessary, add more (or all) of the flour mix.

Chill the dough until firm, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Let the dough stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before continuing.  Roll out dough to 1/4 inch and cut into an even number (32) of 3 circles.  Bake on parchment at 350 for about 12 minutes or until pale golden brown.   Cool.

Use about 1 tb of Dulce de Leche as a filling between 2 cookies.  Press together so filling goes to edges and roll each cookie into a topping:  toasted coconut, chopped chocolate or chopped salted peanuts.  These can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days.

mlooney

Re: Cookie Recipes Needed!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:20:03 PM »
These are a favorite in my family

Cocoa Drop Cookies

1/2 cup soft shortening or butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup chopped nuts

Mix shortening sugar egg thoroughly. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and stir into mixture. Stir in nuts. Chill 1 hour. Drop rounded tsp dough 2 inches apart on greased sheet. Ice with brown butter icing Makes 3 1/2 doz Bake 400 degrees for 8-10 min.

Brown Butter Icing

Melt 1/4 cup butter and keep over low heat until golden brown. Blend in 2 cups sifted powdered sugar. Stir in 2 tsp cream or milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Dip tops of cookies into icing. If it gets stiff warm a little to soften.