News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 28, 2016, 09:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Curly Girl vs Straights; How to Discuss With Coach Politely  (Read 8260 times)

The Lunchlady

Re: Curly Girl vs Straights; How to Discuss With Coach Politely
« Reply #120 on: Yesterday at 08:37:08 PM »
Thank you, guihong! I think her hair is lovely, too! She's standing in front of a mirror that we salvaged out of the alley at our previous home. My Brother's Wife is an artist and worked her magic on it. The mirror frame has cutouts, the actual wall is the yellow color.

edited to add: too!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:39:14 PM by The Lunchlady »
Bringing civilization to the hungry hordes one lunch period at a time

Alicia

« Reply #121 on: Yesterday at 08:55:08 PM »
Dang i wish my hair looked like that how lovely. Mine is limp waves.

gramma dishes

« Reply #122 on: Yesterday at 08:58:12 PM »
Here's a photo of DD's hair after we got home from the game: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=141410.0

I'll leave it in the 'Test' folder...not sure what I did to get it to appear!

Oh my goodness.  I want that.  That hair is amazingly beautiful.

dqduck

« Reply #123 on: Yesterday at 09:06:15 PM »
My first thought when I saw her hair was "Oh, wow!" That hair is gorgeous. Makes me quite envious. My hair is a little wavy and frizzy.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #124 on: Yesterday at 09:56:15 PM »
Our family had the opposite problem.  One of my nieces does Irish Dancing.  She has dead straight hair.  The Teacher asked that she either has her hair permed (at 12 years old) or wears a wig.  When she was asked why, we were told that Irish girls had curly hair.  Not in our family we don't.  So my brother rounded up photos of all the cousins showing off their dead straight hair.  He asked the ones in Eire to take the photo in front of a landmark that showed they were in Eire. 

Long story short, the teacher capitulated and my niece went on to demonstrate her dancing talents around the world.  With straight hair.

The Lunchlady

« Reply #125 on: Yesterday at 10:30:34 PM »
amandaelizabeth, I'm sure no one in any audience would be looking at the troupe's hair for watching their feet and especially their knees! I've always loved Irish dancing, the music and movement are positively hypnotizing.

Thank you all for your kind comments; I let DD read them over my shoulder. She's overwhelmed and squishy with gratitude; she Thanks Each One of the plural You! If she ever feels like she doesn't fit in because of her looks, or feels 'less than', I'll take her to this page for a refresher.

Thank you all from me, too!
Bringing civilization to the hungry hordes one lunch period at a time

LifeOnPluto

• Blog
« Reply #126 on: Yesterday at 10:56:08 PM »
I have naturally very curly hair (think Shirley temple, only she's got nothing on me). I also work in a very professional position, so if I want my hair curly, it has to be in a shorter, bob cut. It's currently cut to my chin.

Quote trimmed.

This struck me as yet another bit of evidence of the cultural bias that straight hair is more acceptable than curly, and (more sadly) that this has been accepted and internalised even by the Shirley Temples of the world. I hadn't realised that curly hair was inherently unprofessional, or that competence in a professional field would be judged on the amount of curls. As I say, that's rather sad.

I have very curly hair which is currently just below chin length. I also work in a conservative, professional industry, but thankfully, my hair has never been an issue. I always keep it clean and off my face.

That said, curly hair does often seem to be synonymous with messiness, and quirkiness. I've come across a few people who assume I have a "wacky personality" simply because my hair is curly. Whereas in truth, I believe my personality is actually somewhat shy and conservative!

To add to that, straight hair has been "in" in the last 15-20 years, which means that curly hair - during that time - has been deemed conventionally unattractive. It's tough growing up in a time when you're automatically deemed "not attractive" purely based on a genetic trait, so I really feel for the OP's daughter.

The good news is, is that according to my hair dresser, curly hair goes in 30 year popularity cycles. It was popular in the 1950s, 1980s, and is slowly becoming popular in the 2010s. As of now, the "slightly messy curls" look is becoming very fashionable. So not only is the coach silly, but she's also out of touch.

Luci

« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 11:04:18 PM »
The hair is gorgeous! Thanks for the update.

loopyluna

« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 11:30:47 PM »
Here's a photo of DD's hair after we got home from the game: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=141410.0

I'll leave it in the 'Test' folder...not sure what I did to get it to appear!

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 11:34:38 PM »
It would be a crime to straighten such gorgeous curls.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #130 on: Today at 01:17:59 AM »
I've been lurking without anything constructive to add, but I had to chime in and agree that your DD's hair is glorious!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #131 on: Today at 01:33:02 AM »
I'll repeat my comment on the photo here: her hair is gorgeous and I am *green* with envy.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

sammycat

« Reply #132 on: Today at 03:25:28 AM »
Your DD has absolutely beautiful hair. No one in their right mind would ask/expect her to change it, especially if it meant getting rid of those gorgeous curls.

The coach really doesn't sound very professional at all.

Semperviren

« Reply #133 on: Today at 07:19:57 AM »
http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/whats-up-with-those-irish-dancing-costumes/

Interesting article on the current costume trend in Irish Dancers' appearance and costuming.

I have the same objections to forcing girls to curl or perm their hair into a curly style- stubbornly straight hair wants to stay straight, period. Requesting a chemical process is excessive. Asking them and or their moms to spend an undue amount of time forcing their hair into an unnatural style is unfairly burdensome. Making them feel bad about their natural hair is wrong. And really, a little perspective - this is, after all, an extracurricular activity at the school level. It's easy to get caught up in the costumes and makeup and frippery and make THAT the focus. It's the skill and discipline that matter most.