News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2016, 12:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Appropriate greeting card for an expectant parent?  (Read 1256 times)

LifeOnPluto

• Blog
Appropriate greeting card for an expectant parent?
« on: December 07, 2016, 04:58:48 AM »
This is a fairly minor question in the scheme of things. The other day, I had to buy a card for a male co-worker who is going on paternity leave (first baby for him and his wife). Admittedly, the newsagent I visited didn't have a huge selection of cards, but I didn't feel like any of the cards on offer were really appropriate. For example:

- Baby cards: These cards all seemed to be based on premise that the baby had already arrived (the messages inside were all "Congratulations on the arrival of your new [son/daughter]". As the baby hasn't been born yet, I thought that was a bit premature (no pun intended).

- "Goodbye, we'll miss you!" cards: My co-worker is only taking leave for 6 weeks, so not really suitable.

- "Well done, so proud of you!" cards: It seems a tad strange to congratulate someone for a natural act of reproduction (or maybe that's just my hang-up?).

- "Good Luck!" cards: I came close to buying one of these, but thought it might seem a bit negative/insulting. Eg "Good luck with parenthood... you're going to need it! Hahahaha!".

In the end, I chose a blank card.

But what say you, eHellions? Was there a type of card which would have been more appropriate? I honestly couldn't find any that basically said "Congratulations on being an expectant parent".

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Appropriate greeting card for an expectant parent?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:50:56 AM »
The blank card is probably what I would have chosen.  Is a newsagent the only place you can buy greeting cards?  In the US, you can usually find a big selection of cards at drugstores and big box stores (in addition to Hallmark stores ;) )

Hmmmmm

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:00:33 AM »
I'd never had thought about giving a greeting card for someone going on paternity leave for a short period. I can understand why there wasn't a ready made card available for that type of sentiment. I think a blank card with appropriate message was the best way.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »
POD to others who've said the blank card was your best option.  I probably would write something like "Enjoy your time off with your new bundle of joy".

browzer11

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
Is a card really necessary for someone who is going on paternity leave?

Is this customary? I can't ever remember doing this in our office environment.

Why not wait till the baby is born for congratulations?

gramma dishes

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 04:07:52 PM »
I'm trying to figure out why someone would go on paternity leave before the baby is born.  What if the baby is two weeks late?  That will really cut into the bonding time for the father and his child, won't it?

In any case, I wouldn't get the father a card until the baby is born.  Then I'd send the more typical "So happy about your new baby" card with maybe a sentence that Daddy will be missed at work and though you're delighted for the reason for his absence, you're looking forward to his return.

LifeOnPluto

• Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 05:08:09 AM »
Is a card really necessary for someone who is going on paternity leave?

Is this customary? I can't ever remember doing this in our office environment.

Why not wait till the baby is born for congratulations?

Yes - in our office it is customary to give a card and a gift to someone who is taking maternity or paternity leave, especially if it's their first baby.

I'm trying to figure out why someone would go on paternity leave before the baby is born.  What if the baby is two weeks late?  That will really cut into the bonding time for the father and his child, won't it?

Well, Co-worker is actually taking some annual (recreation leave) also, but the baby will probably be born during that time, and then the paternity leave will kick in.

POD to others who've said the blank card was your best option.  I probably would write something like "Enjoy your time off with your new bundle of joy".

Yes, wording like this is what most people ended up writing!

nyarlathotep

• My other blade is Vorpal
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 03:19:18 AM »

Off-topic, and the OP has already answered, but IIRC pat leave can also be used for pre-baby logistics stuff, especially if the mother is waiting until labour to trigger her mat leave.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 04:07:30 AM »

Well, a lot of work places need concrete plans ahead of time. 
Nothing to see here.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:09:08 PM »
I think the blank card is the safest option.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

sweetonsno

• Grammando and Cupcake Lady
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:56:11 PM »
I agree that a blank card is the best bet, though some of the good luck/general well-wishing cards might work as well. There are occasionally cards in the retirement/moving away section that might be vague enough for this purpose, too.
You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.