Author Topic: sports games for 6 - 7 year olds... What are an Aunt's obligations?  (Read 5601 times)

BriarRoseGB

Re: sports games for 6 - 7 year olds... What are an Aunt's obligations?
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »
Update:  I didn't go to the game this past week, and got no passive aggressive texts!  However, I did have an infection... 
Only 2 more games to go, I'll pick one.   Thanks! !!

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 01:16:28 AM »
Update:  I didn't go to the game this past week, and got no passive aggressive texts!  However, I did have an infection... 

Good. Don't feel guilty.

I will suggest that you think about the relationship you want to have with your nephew. Then figure out how to make that happen. For example, take him to lunch, the park, the movies, the library. What part of your life do you want to share with him?

Or nothing is also fine. But it's your choice. I have 2 kids and live near a lot of relatives. Some relatives spend time with the kids one on one. Others interact in groups. Some spend time with the babies but not the kids or vice versa. Some interact with the kids as little as possible. It's all good.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »

Maybe she looked around and suddenly realized that most of the other kids didn't have a cast of thousands attending the games either.

NFPwife

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »

Maybe she looked around and suddenly realized that most of the other kids didn't have a cast of thousands attending the games either.

:D Or maybe she's realizing how tortuous it really is and is trying to figure out how to extricate herself.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »

:D Or maybe she's realizing how tortuous it really is and is trying to figure out how to extricate herself.

;D ;D ;D

ScubaGirl

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »
Between DH and myself we have 16 nieces and nephews (and no children).  We made it a point through the years to go to at least 1 event - whether sports or dance or recital - for each.  Not 1 event per year, but 1 event sometime in their "careers".  They always said thank you to us for attending.  I wonder now if we had attended every event (if that was even possible) they'd have taken it for granted and we wouldn't have heard a "thank you".  Anyway, I'm taking the long way to say:  let me give you a piece of advice.  Start laying the groundwork now that you love, admire, and adore all your little DNs but you will not ever attend a graduation ceremony.  :)  Fifteen have graduated high school, about half are done with college, a few more will be done with college over the next few years.  The hours and hours and hours of mind numbing ceremonies we've managed to miss makes us very happy.

Marbles

• I'm lost
I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell.

I agree with PPs that you should go to the number of games that you feel comfortable with.

My guess is that your nephew will only see your absence as a "lack of support" if the other adults in his life make a big thing out of it. If they treat it as normal that Auntie BriarRose doesn't attend every game, then that's what he'll think is normal. There are ways to support his endeavors that do not include attending every game.

I clipped this because it is so well said and something I wanted to comment upon. You may have to point this out to family members.

"MIL, DN would not even notice whether or not I was there unless someone pointed it out. This is a case similar to sharing bad gossip to the person it is about. It hurts the person you are talking to, hurts the relationship between the "sharer" and both of the other people, and it hurts the very relationship you think we need to be nurturing! I have my own ways of nurturing the relationship. Please be respectful of that." ( I used MIL, but it would work for other people also.)
This is what I would be most concerned about.