News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 13, 2016, 03:32:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What subject line would you use for this email?  (Read 728 times)

julianna

What subject line would you use for this email?
« on: Yesterday at 03:49:05 PM »
Hi, all.  I feel a little stupid asking such a basic question, but here goes.

I have to send an email to the parents of one of my seven-year-old's classmates.  It's not a close friend of his and I haven't interacted with either parent before, so I doubt they would recognize my name/email address, and since it's a hotmail address they could easily assume it's spam.  (I also have a different last name than my son, so even if they recognize his last name, I don't think they'd connect it to me.)  I was thinking of mentioning who I was in the subject line -- maybe something like "question from George Smith's mom."  Does that seem weird or spam-like?  Is there a better wording?  The actual subject is about an extracurricular their child participates in, but I feel like something generic like "piano lessons" would sound spammy.  (Of course, I'll begin the actual email by explaining who I am, and close with both my name and my identity as DS's mom, but I know a lot of people scroll through their junk mail folders pretty quickly, and I don't want the email to get deleted unread.)

Thanks!

Zizi-K

Re: What subject line would you use for this email?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:05:08 PM »
I think something like "quick question from George Smith's mom" would be perfect. This lets them know right off the bat who you are, since they won't recognize your surname.  Can you be sure that they will know who George Smith is, though? If not, then something with more detail like  'quick question from George Smith's mom, classmate of your son Jack at Jefferson Elementary'.

Alicia

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:07:30 PM »
How about
George smith and brian jones piano lessons

Their kid and your kid piano lessons

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:19:10 PM »
I have to send a lot of emails to people who don't know who I am for work, and vice versa. I think your idea "question from George Smith's mom" is great. Or if there is any chance that they also do not know who your son is, you could mention the connection.

"QQ from George Smith's mom (Ms. Apple's class)"

rose red

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:12:16 PM »
I was also going to suggest putting the name of the school and their teacher's name on the subject line.

lmyrs

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:49:37 PM »
I'd use "Question from George Smith's mom re: piano lessons".