News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2016, 02:46:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'There's no picture of ME!'  (Read 12003 times)

miranova

Re: 'There's no picture of ME!'
« Reply #165 on: Today at 02:18:02 PM »
My husband's adult daughter and her fiance visited our new home for the first time a few weeks ago.

They spent only a few hours with us, before the long drive back to where they're living.  However, it seemed to be a very nice time for all.

Then this week she calls my husband, and vents that she cannot believe there are no pictures of her in the house anywhere.  He tried to explain that  he'll always be her father, and loves her, but this is our home, and what's on our walls is our own business.

I got a call from her brother this week, and he told me that his sister was trying to get him all upset that not only are there no photos of her displayed in our home, there are none of him either.  He told her he couldn't care less, but she would not relent. 

There aren't even any photos of ourselves on the walls, other than two pix from our wedding. 

I don't anticipate that she'll be back anytime soon, mainly because she has a very full plate, work-wise, but I don't want to want any more drama with this relationship.  (And she's addicted to drama.  This post would be wayyyy longer if I gave examples.)

Thoughts?
I don't like the argument that we can't say yes to something reasonable because then the person will ask for something unreasonable.  I don't think it logically follows, for one, and secondly, you don't lose your ability to say no to other things just because you said yes to one thing.

I also don't think that asking one's own father for a ride to the airport is in the same universe as an outlandish request.

I agree with your point Miranova, but the bolded from the OP doesn't sound exactly reasonable to me. Her request was reasonable, but her manner of delivery, including trying to get her brother upset about it, was the unreasoable part.

<Edited because I forgot my last sentence>

Certainly the sentence you bolded is paraphrased though, and it is not first hand knowledge.  I mean, unless the OP has a tape recording of the conversation between sister and brother, and the tape recording actually has sister saying the words "I want you to be upset about this!!!" then that seems like someone's bullet point summary/opinion of the conversation, and not what was actually said.

Chickadee

Re: 'There's no picture of ME!'
« Reply #166 on: Today at 02:44:02 PM »
My husband's adult daughter and her fiance visited our new home for the first time a few weeks ago.

They spent only a few hours with us, before the long drive back to where they're living.  However, it seemed to be a very nice time for all.

Then this week she calls my husband, and vents that she cannot believe there are no pictures of her in the house anywhere.  He tried to explain that  he'll always be her father, and loves her, but this is our home, and what's on our walls is our own business.

I got a call from her brother this week, and he told me that his sister was trying to get him all upset that not only are there no photos of her displayed in our home, there are none of him either.  He told her he couldn't care less, but she would not relent. 

There aren't even any photos of ourselves on the walls, other than two pix from our wedding. 

I don't anticipate that she'll be back anytime soon, mainly because she has a very full plate, work-wise, but I don't want to want any more drama with this relationship.  (And she's addicted to drama.  This post would be wayyyy longer if I gave examples.)

Thoughts?
I don't like the argument that we can't say yes to something reasonable because then the person will ask for something unreasonable.  I don't think it logically follows, for one, and secondly, you don't lose your ability to say no to other things just because you said yes to one thing.

I also don't think that asking one's own father for a ride to the airport is in the same universe as an outlandish request.

I agree with your point Miranova, but the bolded from the OP doesn't sound exactly reasonable to me. Her request was reasonable, but her manner of delivery, including trying to get her brother upset about it, was the unreasonable part.

<Edited because I forgot my last sentence>

Certainly the sentence you bolded is paraphrased though, and it is not first hand knowledge.  I mean, unless the OP has a tape recording of the conversation between sister and brother, and the tape recording actually has sister saying the words "I want you to be upset about this!!!" then that seems like someone's bullet point summary/opinion of the conversation, and not what was actually said.

OP is paraphrasing, but I tend to take any OP's account at face value. Just because she didn't or couldn't provide a word by word account of the phone conversation is not a reason for me to think that she is exaggerating. She related that her stepson indicated his sister wanted him to be as upset as she was, and I find that to be unreasonable.