Etiquette School is in session! > "Have you tried the bean dip?"

SO, who did YOU vote for?

(1/13) > >>

LMichelle:
I don't know how I should have handled this one, but here goes.

At a dinner with my fiance's family, his grandmother (whom I had met only once before) threw this question at me (with the full attention of the entire family on me):

"So, is your family ******* or *******?"

My jaw about hit the floor. Yes, I do know that much of my family probably votes one way, even though I personally align myself the most with the Libertarian party, but that is NOT information that I would volunteer, and I never thought I would be asked such a direct, personal question in public by someone I'd only met once before!

I responded with something like, "Well, it's interesting that you should ask, because historically our area of the country has been Democratic...." and really avoided the question (I didn't think the bean dip response would go over well since his family already thinks that I don't like them, which is true to an extent).

I know that she probably didn't know any better -they are from an area of the country that is known for bad manners- so I don't think that she minded when I wrote it off, but I really did get the feeling that the rest of his family enjoyed seeing the "sweet little well-mannered Southern girl" being put on the spot - which is a little bit more disturbing.

Just Lori:
"I don't disuss politics with people whose relationship is important to me."

goblue2539:
I'm curious.  Which area of the country is known for having bad manners?  I thought manners, good and bad, were a little more personal than regional. 

That being said, good deflection.  ;)

Twik:
"I don't know, I've never asked them."

Twik:

--- Quote from: goblue2539 on November 08, 2007, 10:38:29 AM ---I'm curious.  Which area of the country is known for having bad manners?  I thought manners, good and bad, were a little more personal than regional. 

--- End quote ---

Me, too. I've noticed that just about every region in North America has been mentioned here in E-Hell at least once.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version