Author Topic: Cheese for Grilled Cheese sandwiches?  (Read 3649 times)

jemma

Re: Cheese for Grilled Cheese sandwiches?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »
My favorite hot cheese sandwich  is halloumi and bacon on an everything bagel.  But Halloumi is fried or grilled, not melted.  I think american cheese gives the best texture in grilled cheese.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 04:05:50 PM »
I usually use sharp cheddar, but then I love cheddar. Havarti sounds good. I'll have to give that a whirl.

If anyone has a George Foreman grill, it seriously makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches. And for those who worry about cheddar not quite melting, in the George it melts beautifully. Just lightly butter the outside of each slice of bread and then put the cheese sandwich inside and in a few minutes you will have a perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich. After I made on for DH that way, he won't eat it any other way.

Summrs

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
You know what's really good?  The shredded "Mexican Cheese Blend" makes great grilled cheeses.  And we absolutely love it on sourdough bread, but any bread is good.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 04:37:50 AM »
Not to be picky or anything, but Velveeta is not cheese.  Not even close.

that's what i was going to say ;D

i vote for mozzarella (but the real stuff, not those kiddie mozzarella sticks) mixed with some Parmesan. i also love goat cheese, and there is this great cheese here (in israel) which is an aged (hard) white cheese - something like feta that is dried out. it's great grilled.

I add tomato and basil leaves to the sandwich.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »
Any smoked cheese (or the cheaper "smoke flavour" cheese that I adore). Gorgeous. ;D...

I am indifferent to Smoked Cheese, otherwise, but something amazing happens when you make Grilled Cheese with it. 

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 09:35:59 AM »
The best grilled cheese I had was made with an Italian herb bread.  It had lots of spices - we got it at a farmers market.  It was more of a small dessert/breakfast bread size & texture, but was a savory instead of a sweet.  The grilled cheese was AMAZING on that.  We used just a regular cheddar for the cheese though.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

42_42_42

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »
I love Swiss cheese and rye grilled cheese. YUM!

beakiebean

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 07:36:58 PM »
I know Velveeta isn't cheese but it still makes good grilled "cheese product" sandwiches.  :)

This is a recipe my mom got from a one of the Taste of Home/Quick Cooking mags-not sure which one.  It's super yummy served with Italian tomato soup to dip it in.

Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

3 oz cream cheese, softened         
½ cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese      
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese      
Garlic powder and salt to taste            
⅛ tsp seasoned salt
Slices of Italian Bread (can use any kind)   
butter or margarine softened

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in cheeses, garlic powder and seasoned salt.  Butter the outsides of bread and put them together.  Spread cheese mixture on bread and put bottom side on top so that both buttered sides are to the outside.  Cook in skillet until golden brown, flip and cook other side until golden brown.

Becca

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 07:38:25 PM »
Gouda and provolone both melt beautifully. You can add a slice of Cheddar in between to give it that sharp flavor.

smarterthanu213

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 08:56:40 PM »
I just had a mozzarella and bacon grilled sandwich the other day, and it was absolutely, completely, utterly heavenly.

Missyb

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 02:12:52 AM »
Mild cheddar is my favorite for a grilled cheese sandwich.

ButterflieRJ

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 04:41:11 PM »
I like to use 2.5 slices of Kraft (yes, only Kraft, others aren't the same I've found) American cheese per sandwich.  Butter the bread (wheat), dip it in freshly grated Parmesan cheese (not the granule-like stuff in the can), lightly press the grated cheese into the butter, and THEN put it in a frying pan.  Fantastic!

I've also made grilled cheese with Emmenthaler swiss, Havarti, and Colby-Jack cheeses.  All worked out really well :)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 12:22:07 AM »
Apparently Oakland CA has a grilled cheese festival.

http://daily.mahalo.com/2007/11/15/md008-grilled-cheese-festival/

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 11:27:59 AM »
Ciabatta makes an excellent bread for grilled cheese.   The cheese falls into those giant holes.

Sneezy

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 12:50:41 AM »
My aunt showed me how to put shredded cheese on the outside of the bread so you get the toasty crunchies.  Mmmm...