Author Topic: Fruitcake?  (Read 782 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
Fruitcake?
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
I can't stand the stuff, but my mom loves it with an unnatural passion, so I thought maybe I'd make her some fruitcake this year (and give it to her Christmas '08, to get that proper hard as a rock consistency ;)).  I don't really want to do 10 trial runs, because I don't know anyone else who likes it!  Anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks!

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
Re: Fruitcake?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:18:06 PM »
Alton Brown's recipe is the way to go.  (I turn to him first for most recipes I've never made before)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8157,00.html

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:41 PM »
Thanks GlindaBunny!  After seeing those lemon pomegranate meringues, I'll trust your judgement ;)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »
I can't stand the stuff, but my mom loves it with an unnatural passion, so I thought maybe I'd make her some fruitcake this year (and give it to her Christmas '08, to get that proper hard as a rock consistency ;)).  I don't really want to do 10 trial runs, because I don't know anyone else who likes it!  Anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks!

I like fruitcake if it's dense and moist and uses GOOD fruit (not that candied orange peel type nasty stuff). And good brandy.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:56:11 AM »
I've only had the cruddy store bought stuff.  It's like eating fruity bricks, but my mom loves it!  She likes that candied orange peel nasty stuff, but I'm sure she'd like fruit cake in almost any variety.  I think I'll try GlindaBunny's recipe, unless someone else posts something that seems absolutely irresistible for some reason.

42_42_42

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:23:24 PM »
Alton Brown's recipe is the way to go.  (I turn to him first for most recipes I've never made before)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8157,00.html

I'll second that! I make this fruitcake every year and everyone loves it (much to their surprise!). I bake mine in mini bundts. LOL my mom eats them for breakfast during the holidays!

XRogue

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 01:12:40 PM »
My fruitcake recipe, with metric converstions. It's good, I swear.

4 oz (115 g) halved dried cherries
1 lb.(450 g) raisins
1 lb.(450 g) golden raisins
4 oz (115 g)chopped dates
4 oz (115 g)currants
* can substitute 4lb. mixed dried fruit for the above.
6 oz (170 g) mixed peel

One bottle of Vintage Port

1 lb. (450 b) butter
1 lb. (450 g) Brown Sugar
12 eggs
1 lb. (450 g) finely grated carrots
1 tsp. (5ml) each cinnamon and nutmeg.
1 tsp. (5 ml) golden syrup (or your own version)
4 oz (115 g) chopped almonds (only if you like)
1 lb. (450 g) fine white stale breadcrumbs.
4 oz (115 g)plain flour
1 1/2 tsp. (7 ml) salt.

Put fruit in glass container with lid. Empty all the Port over the top and give it a good stir. Place lid on (this mix will have to be left for up to 7 days so make sure the lid is a good tight fit.) Each day stir the fruit and port to evenly mix it together. Each day taste half a cherry. When you get the "Oh my God, that's strong" you're ready to finish the mixing and bake it.

Next in another very large bowl or bucket, cream the butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time. Add all dry ingredients plus the syrup. Mix thoroughly. Take your very clean hands and mix in the fruit, carrots, nuts, and breadcrumbs. (This gets very messy, so be prepared)

After all ingredients are mixed,you are ready to place into your prepared cake pans. This mix will make 3-2lb. cakes.

Grease pans and line with wax paper, then grease the paper.

Bake for 1-2 hours at 350 degrees/180C. (Note from Rogue, mine set in an hour.)

Cool at least overnight and remove from pans.

Ant V

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 06:36:19 PM »
I've made this one.  It's easy, flexible and low fat.  After bragging about the low fat, we slice it thin and spread with butter or cream cheese.

Fruit Cake
This is a flexible recipe

1-1/2 pounds dried fruit, your choice, mix or match 
(cranberries, raisins, currents, chopped apricots, even that awful citrus, etc.)   
2 ounces candied cherries
1/2 pound dark brown sugar
15 oz brewed Black Pekoe Tea, cooled
In a bowl, mix sugar and fruit, pour tea over to soak overnight.
Next day stir in one egg and one pound of self rising flour.   Add some nuts or coconut if you like.
You can replace some of the tea liquid with a couple spoons of brandy or add a teaspoon of vanilla.
Divide between two Pam sprayed loaf pans.  Bake at 350 one hour.  Test for doneness with a pick.  Leave
in pans to cool.   
You can even wrap in brandy soaked cheesecloth.  Wrap tightly in foil for storage.