News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 08:10:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turkey recipes!!  (Read 1242 times)

alecmari

Turkey recipes!!
« on: November 10, 2007, 01:15:39 PM »
Can you all post your favorite turkey recipes here for those of us who don't have good ones?!  My father once made a delicious turkey stuffed with and covered with fruits - too bad he got the recipe off the internet and didn't save it.   :'(  MIL makes a great spicy turkey too - but I promised myself I'm not going to ask her for anymore recipes - she gets too snarky about it.

I want to learn how to make a great turkey too!  My turkeys are always okay but nothing to write home about.

42_42_42

Re: Turkey recipes!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 08:52:56 PM »
Our turkey is basically a variation of Alton Brown's turkey.

My DH and I team up to make the turkey. He brines it (following Alton Brown's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html).

On T-day he removes it from the brine and dries it off and puts it in the roasting pan (which has beed liberally coated in peanut oil--you can use canola if you're allergic to peanuts).

I preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit (yes, I know that sounds insane, bare with me). I prefer a stuffed bird, so I put in the stuffing (see below), trying not to inflict serious burns on my hands as I make sure the stuffing is HOT when it goes in the bird. If you don't put stuffing in your bird, then fill the body cavity with aromatics, such as a couple of quartered lemons, a quartered medium sized yellow onion, three stalks celery cut into 3rds, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, fresh sage, and fresh parsley.

Then I massage softened butter (about 1/2 a stick or 1/4 cup) all over the bird.
Then I slash about 3 cuts almost but not all the way to the bone in both legs.
Then I liberally season the bird with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
I surround the bird with aromatics (see list above) insert my meat thermometer into the breast and pop it into the oven.
After 30 min of cooking, I decrease the oven temp to 350.
When the alarm on my meat thermometer goes off at 160, I pull the bird out of the oven and let it rest for a good 20 minutes before dismantling it (it will finish "cooking" up to the required safe temp will resting).
I check on the bird about every 30 min during the cooking process, and if the breast is getting too dark, I cover it loosely with aluminum foil.

For my stuffing I use 1 bag of the Pepperidge farm cornbread stuffing mix and 1 bag of the Pepperidge farm white and wheat bread stuffing mix. I mix the two together and prepare according to the package instructions, adding 1-2 cups cooked long grain and wild rice, 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 small chopped yellow onion, 2-3 stalks chopped celery, 1-2 chopped carrots, and chopped fresh parsley (about 1/2 cup chopped). Any stuffing that won't fit into the bird gets baked in a separate dish.

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:33:32 PM »
a couple of years ago, my SIL and I bought a jar of Hooters Hot Wing sauce, mixed it with some chicken broth and injected it into the turkey we were frying. It was interesting, although a bit spicier than I would've liked

Summrs

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:49:23 AM »
I like to make a slurry of olive oil, minced garlic, minced shallots, thyme, parsley, lemon zest, and whatever other herbs you like... and then carefully apply it UNDER the skin... be careful you don't tear the skin, though. It flavors the meat wonderfully, keeps it moister, and the skin comes out a little crispier, too.