Author Topic: A friendly challenge  (Read 2010 times)

wellisawstar

A friendly challenge
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:08:02 AM »
Today I'd like to challenge you to talk to someone new.

Find the new person at your company and ask her how it's going. Walk across the street and see if your neighbor wants to go get a beer. Ask someone at the store fiddling with the local maps if they're new here and give them recommendations of good places to eat. And after all that, think about talking to them again. And again. And maybe becoming friends with them.

This is my second town in three years, and I still can't believe how hard it is for me to make new friends. I do all of the right things -- talk to new people who have similar interests, join clubs, be kind to all. I'm not pushy, and I listen. And yet I meet so many people who seem to think that they have enough friends. Apparently there is no reason to make friends, or even go see a movie, with anyone else.

So please go talk to someone new. Consider looking for a new friend. It will make a world of difference in their lives, and in yours.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: A friendly challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:00:51 PM »
Since I don't make friends easily, maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel that approaching a stranger would not necessarily have the desired effect, if you are trying to start friendships.  Having a total stranger or near stranger come up to me to say, "Hey, how are you?"  and attempting to start up a conversation as though they know me would just make me wary and confused.  I'd probably think that I should know them and have to fake my way out of it... :-[
My husband on the other hand, talks to anyone, anytime and he seems to be a person magnet, too, with perfect strangers telling him their life stories.  It's downright weird, really.
Some of the scenarios may be appreciated, like someone looking at maps but I would wait for them to ask for help. 
I think joining groups of interest to meet like minded people would be the way to meet new people and develop friendships.   

I hope you find a way of becoming involved with people in a way that is rewarding to both you and them. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:28:10 PM by jeaniuskc »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Ant V

Re: A friendly challenge
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »
I do that several times a week.  I am the contact for a local support group so it turns out that I talk to lots of new friends on a regular basis.