News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 04:16:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mmmmm, fudge....  (Read 4762 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
Re: Mmmmm, fudge....
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »
Thanks CG!  I definitely have to do pumpkin pie fudge, and a few other flavors as well, depending on how it all turns out.

Thanks so much for all the little tips everybody, it's nice to not have to make my own mistakes, and I doubt I would have been able to resist Reese's peanut butter chips if I didn't know better ;)

I looked at the condensed milk at the store yesterday, and it had a recipe for key lime pie!  Who eats key lime pie on Christmas?  I love key lime pie, but it's not the best Christmas gift ;)

Thanks for the tips GlindaBunny.  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to be a purist or not.  I'm not afraid of doing things the "right way," but I haven't made up my mind.  I do have a traditional thermometer (it's tall, not like a meat thermometer dial), I'll have to do some testing to see how accurate it is, or maybe just buy a digital.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 07:43:08 AM »
DeHubby adores Key Lime Pie - I brought home Key Lime Pie chip cookies from H.E.B. (a local store - the cookies are a "house brand" and not widely available) the other day.  He was very happy to see them..........more Key Lime is better!  He also likes Key Lime ice cream, cheesecake, and would happily try just about anything else ONCE.

He buys Key Limes and cuts them into wedges to make Key Lime Coke...........something that you don't find on the shelves!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Paper Roses

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 08:22:49 AM »
He buys Key Limes and cuts them into wedges to make Key Lime Coke...........something that you don't find on the shelves!

I am so glad to see this!  I have had people laught at me when I refer to Key Limes, and explain to me in that oh-your-so-cute-in-your-stupidity tone that there is no such thing as a key lime, and the "Key Lime Pie" is only named that because it was first served in the Florida Keys. 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 08:30:33 AM »
This is sort of a brown sugar fudge, much like pralines.  Got this recipe from my mother:

Georgia Nuggets

Ingredients

3 cups Dixie Crystals light brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1 teaspoon light corn syrup

Directions

Stir sugar and cream together until dissolved. Bring to a boiling point and cook to 232 degrees F., or to the soft ball stage when tested in water. Remove from the heat and let cool. Add vanilla, butter (or margarine) and nuts. Beat until creamy. Drop with a spoon on to wax paper.

~ Cristen

VorFemme

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »

I am so glad to see this!  I have had people laught at me when I refer to Key Limes, and explain to me in that oh-your-so-cute-in-your-stupidity tone that there is no such thing as a key lime, and the "Key Lime Pie" is only named that because it was first served in the Florida Keys. 

Key Limes are smaller and have a different flavor than other limes.........not being a connoisseur, I just dig into my Key Lime pie slice (which I like) instead of a Lime pie (which doesn't taste as good - hey, I know what *I like*!).  Now, a good lemon meringue pie is hard to beat - but Key Lime or pecan pie is a tossup.

There may not be a piece of pumpkin pie on my plate this holiday season - when you are limited in carbohydrates - you pick the ONE flavor that makes your meal perfect.  Growing up in Texas - pecan pie is WAY ahead of pumpkin pie!  Although, a Key Lime pie on the dessert table might be reason to rethink that............maybe have one for Christmas and the other for Thanksgiving......?

XRogue

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »
The condensed milk recipe is no sweat:

1 can sweentened condensed milk
3 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts, of your choice
1 tsp vanilla

heat milk in microwave at full power for 1 minute. Stir in chocolate, and heat 1 minute, stir. Repeat heat and stir, 30 seconds at a time, untill chocolate is melted. Stir in nuts and vanilla, and pour into buttered pan. 

Variations:

try substituting mint extract or extract of your preference, different flavored morsels, or coconut, toffee bits, smashed peppermint chunks, etc. for the nuts.

VorFemme

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 12:58:36 PM »
There is no such thing as BAD FUDGE - although I am not fond of raspberry fudge - so, if anyone needs to get rid of some peanut butter fudge due to allergies - I'll be happy to let them have all of my raspberry fudge............

MC Clapyohanz

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 05:36:15 PM »
Are Key Limes the limes used in pansit? Does anyone know? The ones in pansit are much much smaller than regular limes. I was just wondering.
thanks!  :)

Rei-chan

• It's been awhile, but it's good to be back!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 04:57:40 AM »

I second Samantha's Fantasy Fudge recipe.  An ex-coworker of mine makes it, and it is EXCELLENT.

I regretfully cannot make any suggestions, as EVERY time I have attempted fudge (the Fantasy Fudge, and other recipes), I end up with icing.  It simply will not set, no matter what I try.   >:(

Perhaps when we get moved, I will invest in a candy thermometer, but I followed that darn recipe to the letter, and even had DH supervise me on another attempt (to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything, and to time me on the stirring), with the same result.

However, I DO make a heck of a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler!!   ;D

Zilla

• Cooking
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 11:20:32 AM »
I'm considering making fudge this Christmas, to give as gifts, since everyone already gets millions of cookies.  I've never made fudge before so I'm looking for good recipes and any advice you may have.  Variations are also welcome, like peanut butter fudge or mint fudge, or any other tasty fudge.  I plan on doing a trial run first, and I have a candy thermometer :)

Thanks in advance!

I just made a batch of fudge (not counting the tootsie rolls fudge disaster!) using my typical recipe.

2 cups of sugar
1 cup of cream OR evaporated milk ( I do evap milk)
1 tbsp of corn syrup
4 oz of excellent bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
2 tbsp butter

1 tsp of vanilla
2 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup of marshmallow cream

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat, add sugar and cream OR milk and stir well with a wooden sppon as it heats up.  Keep stirring till the sugar melts into the liquid and it is smooth when you pull the spoon out.

Add the chocolate in 4 or 5 batches while stirring to melt the chocolate in between batches.

When the chocolate is all melted, turn up the heat to medium high and stir occasionally till it starts to go a roiling boil.  When it is boiling, turn the heat to medium and cover.  Let it boil for 3-5 minutes.  Remove cover and insert candy thermometer.  When it gets to 232* degrees or soft boil stage, remove from heat.  This has taken me anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.  Be patient!  The last 5 degrees take forever! LOL  And don't stir once the cover it removed or while it is getting to soft boil stage.

Once it reaches that stage, remove from heat and let it cool till 110*.  About 20-25 minutes.

Once cooled, add vanilla plus butter and stir briskly with a wooden spoon. Stir for a good solid 5 minutes.  Don't stop.  Add the marshmallow cream and stir again briskly for another solid 5 minutes.  Your arms will be tired!

Pour into a greased or lined square pan.  Let it sit on the counter for a good 2 hours.

Then remove, and cut into pieces.

Yummy melt in your mouth fudge!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:02:58 PM by omgheather »

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 11:38:43 AM »
Here's another question.  Can fudge set in something like a muffin pan (I have a silicone one so I would be able to get the pieces out) to make it easier to divide up and serve?  Not sure I'd actually bother with it, but it's good to know.

Zilla

• Cooking
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 11:59:08 AM »
Here's another question.  Can fudge set in something like a muffin pan (I have a silicone one so I would be able to get the pieces out) to make it easier to divide up and serve?  Not sure I'd actually bother with it, but it's good to know.

Fudge can set up in anything.  I have used the holiday shaped silicon muffin thingie.  I have also used the candy plastic molds from Michael's that makes them into bite sized treats shaped however.   :)

Because fudge is firm but still malleable, I would refigerate them for an hour or so and then pop them out.

Edited to add that I keep forgetting the "typed" happy face turns into the pop eyes face. LOL
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:00:49 PM by omgheather »

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »
I might just have to buy some nice shaped silicone pans now.  Maybe stars or something that I could use all year :D  Thanks guys (girls?  ladies?  people?  hellions?  I never do know what to use here...)!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
I might just have to buy some nice shaped silicone pans now.  Maybe stars or something that I could use all year :D  Thanks guys (girls?  ladies?  people?  hellions?  I never do know what to use here...)!

I get candy/ chocolate molds from http://www.candymoldcentral.com/ but beware, they are addictive!!

I do have some Wilton candy molds, snowflakes and seashells, that I use with chocolate.  I'm planning to do blue and white snowflake suckers to give out with my potential fudge this year. Can you really make fudge in something that small?  I guess you can because two people have already suggested it, but it just seems amazing ;D

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 12:38:23 PM »
Ooh, smashed candy canes, good idea.  That sounds delicious!  My mom would love the orange fudge, too, and that might not have occurred to me.  OK, I'm ready to fudge now, everyone's gotten me excited!