Author Topic: Deep fried turkey - and what to serve with it?  (Read 13887 times)

Dragonflymom

Deep fried turkey - and what to serve with it?
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:29:48 PM »
This year, DF and I are hosting Thanksgiving for the first time.  I think there will only be five people - us, my parents, and my brother, as FFIL and his fiance will be going to her mother's, and DD will be with my ex husband.

DF wants to do the manly thing and cook the turkey outside in a deep fryer.  I've never had deep friend turkey before, and was wondering if I should serve our traditional family Thanksgiving side dishes with it - ie: stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn or green beans and something with cranberries, or do something different?  I guess I'll have to do gravy from a box since I don't think you can get gravy from a deep fried turkey...
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Deep fried turkey - and what to serve with it?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 05:55:35 PM »
Your regular sides should be fine ... the deep-fried turkey I've had is *not* radically different from one cooked in the oven, maybe a bit juicier.

CG

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 08:08:56 PM »
Yup, they taste about the same. My brother and SIL are fond of doing it that way. The Heinz turkey gravy in a jar isn't half bad. 'course it's not Mom's, but it's still not half-bad.  ;D

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »
Just a tip.  One brand of turkey deep fryers come with spice mixes you can inject before submerging.  The 'cajun style' one should not be injected in one large blob!  :P

My uncle thought my face was going to melt off!  It was his first time trying it out.

Summrs

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:21:36 AM »
I usually think of a deep fried turkey as a Cajun thing, so you could try "Cajuning" up the sides... same traditional things, with maybe a little different seasoning.  I looooove deep fried turkey, mmmm.

Nonsequitur

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:26:29 AM »
Be sure and don't overdo it if you do that flavor injection thing. My brother does that - just goes nuts injecting those poor turkeys, until they barely taste like poultry.

auntiem

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:56:07 PM »
We deep fry our turkey. Ditto on the injections - easy does it.
The best part about doing it that way is that it frees up the oven for all the side dishes and rolls etc. We usually do the traditional sides and any "must have" special dishes like creamed onions for my Mom.

sooboo

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 09:48:20 AM »
<delurking>
One time my brother and I deep fried a turkey, and when it came out and was cooling, I, just for giggles, grabbed a big bag of frozen french fries and dumped them in the oil.  They came out beautifully - crispy and golden, and oh so very slightly turkey-flavored (like when one puts chicken stock in one's mashed potatoes).  A little sprinkle of salt and Yum!

I can see doing something a bit fancier with real potatoes - maybe cut into nice wedges with some kind of seasoning / coating / batter (or combination thereof).  Maybe not for Thanksgiving though ...  But then again hey - why waste good hot oil?  :D
<relurking>

edbson

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:21:59 AM »
Being cajun( full blooded coonass), we fry turkeys regularly, and I do not recommend using anything sold as "cajun" if you are not used to heavy duty spices( read RED PEPPER). We serve ours with the normal , dressing, veggies, and pies, as you would any other Thanksgiving dinner. There is a brand  called "Tony Chacheres" sold nationwide that is an injectable marinade, the garlic/butter one is awesome, and not too hot and spicy, and not real heavy on the garlic either. Just don't overdo it......

Jenzilla

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:07:19 PM »
You might look for hints online. I've never tried to deepfry a turkey, but I do recall hearing that one of the main mistakes is not keeping the oil at the right temperature. That might seem obvious, but I don't bother with monitoring the oil temp when frying other things, so I can see the possibility of overlooking that crucial detail.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »
About the gravy - cook the giblets with some chopped onion until you get a well-flavored broth and use that to make your gravy. You can add turkey bouillon for additional flavor, and add a little butter if you need extra fat to make it work.

Dragonflymom

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:08:10 PM »
Thanks everyone. :)
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

averybadidea

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 11:38:50 PM »
I'd love more tips on injectable marinades, if anyone has any.  Hubby can't decide how to do ours this year.

Irish Clovers

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »
About the gravy - cook the giblets with some chopped onion until you get a well-flavored broth and use that to make your gravy. You can add turkey bouillon for additional flavor, and add a little butter if you need extra fat to make it work.

If I may add to this.  Aside from chopped onion, I add peppercorns, celery (with the leaves) and whole allspice.  Mmmmmmmmm.  Also, I chop up the giblets and add them to the strained broth. 

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »

If I may add to this.  Aside from chopped onion, I add peppercorns, celery (with the leaves) and whole allspice.  Mmmmmmmmm.  Also, I chop up the giblets and add them to the strained broth. 

Come to think of it, carrots are a good addition too (in fact, I thought of this thread yesterday as I bought carrots for my broth!).