Author Topic: Cheesecake recipes wanted!  (Read 1822 times)

Metalchick42

Cheesecake recipes wanted!
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »

I love to bake and decorate cakes.  One of the few things I'm just starting to make is cheesecake.  I made my first one with much success.  I'm overwhelmed with all the recipies in my vast cookbook collection so I'd like to know some tried and true recipies.  I would like to make one for a get together with some friends this week.  Would anyone like to share their favorite cheesecake recipe?

Psykogrl

Re: Cheesecake recipes wanted!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:19:41 PM »
I have a great cheesecake recipe from one of my great aunts if you'd like it :)

Its a plain cheesecake, but you can put pretty much any type of topping on it... Strawberries, cherries, blueberries, etc...

I also have some other cheesecake recipes, like chocolate cherry cheesecake and pumpkin prailene(sp?) cheesecake, so let me know ok? :D

Metalchick42

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:39:24 AM »
That would be great if you can share.  I love trying passed down family recipies.  Also the chocolate cherry cake sounds wonderful!

rockingrandma

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:25:17 AM »
My family thinks I'm the cheesecake queen for some reason.  I have quite a few that I put through rotation, like dark chocolate, coffee, pumpkin, new york style, and one of the favorite, apple pie surprise.  I don't even use actual recipes anymore, because I've figured out a "formula" for the ingredients.  If ya want me to share I'd be happy to.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 04:36:21 AM »
Please, oh please, please, please, please share.

Please?

Psykogrl

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 11:27:55 AM »
Plain Cheesecake

Ingredients:
1 lb cream cheese
1 lb cottage cheese
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 pt sour cream
1 stick of butter, melted

Note: You may want to push the cottage cheese through a sieve with a spoon to break up the curds because it will make a smoother cheesecake. However, its a little time consuming and frankly your hand gets tired. I just buy small curd cottage cheese and it works out of for me.

Preheat oven to 350 (300 if its a convection) Cream together the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Mix in cottage cheese until combine. Add in eggs, 1 at a time, until combined. Mix in vanilla and lemon juice. Mix together the flour and cornstarch and slowly spinkle over batter while mixing to prevent clumps. Finally, add sour cream and butter.

Pour into a springform pan (the smallest it will fit in is a 9", but a bigger one is fine, it just won't be as tall) Bake in a waterbath for 1 hour. Turn off oven and open door a crack, but leave cake in oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. The top may crack, but the water bath usually prevents that.

If your not sure, a waterbath is just a pan larger and deeper than the one your using with some hot water in it. I just wrap the outside of my springform in foil to make sure there are no water leaks that could get into the cake. Just put the springform in the larger pan, put in on the oven rack, then pour in the hot water halfway up the side of the springform.

Psykogrl

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »
Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake

Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs           
 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 chopped pecans,toasted                   
1/4 cup butter or margarine,melted
Combine and mix well. Press mixture into bottom and 1 1/2 inches up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.  Bake 350 degrees for 5 minutes.

Cake:
3 (8oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup mashed pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon           
1/4 teaspoon gr.ginger
1/4 teaspoon gr. nutmeg               
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecan halves, toasted

Beat cream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Gradually add sugar. Then pumpkin and spices.  Add eggs, one at at a time beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan and bake 350 degree for 55 minutes to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan 30 minutes.  Loosen and remove sides of springform pan. Cool completly and refigerate overnight.  Before srving arrange pecan halves on top of cheesecake and serve with warm glaze. REcipe follows

Warm Glaze:
1 cup dark corn syrup {although, i've used light corn syrup and its ok too}               
1 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch             
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all except vanilla and a small saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-2 minutes,stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool slightly then add vanilla.Yields 1 cup                         

rockingrandma

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »
Cheesecake 101  LOL

Here's my "formula"  You can make almost any cheesecake using it.

Ingredients:
*For every 8 ounces of cream cheese, use 1 egg
*For every cup of sour cream (if you use it) use 1 egg
*For every cup of pumpkin, use one egg
*For every 8 ounces cream cheese, use 1/4 cup sugar or less.
*For every 8 ounces of cream cheese, use 1/4 tsp of vanilla (or almond or anything really.....I've used root beer flavoring!)
*There are only 2 reasons to use flour or cornstarch.  You use flour for New York Style or a cake that is more dense and cakelike, or you are adding more than a couple of teaspoons of actual liquid (like cream, milk, amaretto, coffee, etc.)

So a basic batter would look something like this:

4 8oz. blocks cream cheese ROOM TEMPERATURE!!!
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar (or so)
1 tsp vanilla

Then you get to mix and match

For coffee cheesecake add 1/4 c very strong coffee (room temperature) and 2 tsp. flour.

For pumpkin, add 1 cup canned pumpkin, one egg, and 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice.

For New York Style, add 1 cup sour cream, 1 egg, 2 Tbsp flour, and the zest of 1 lemon.

For apple pie surprise (a cheat really) just spread a can of apple pie filling on the crust and then pour the batter over it.

For dark chocolate cheesecake add 1 cup sour cream, 1 egg, and four squares of melted bakers chocolate.

Or just take your favorite candy bar, chop it into chunks, and fold it into the batter.

I never use a waterbath because I'm lazy, but I do turn the heat down to 300-325 and let the cake bake about 20 minutes longer, so around 60-70 minutes.  Then you turn off the oven, let it cool for 15 minutes, crack the oven, let it cool for an hour, then refrigerate it.  The BEST cheesecake tip I can give you is to try not to incorporate any air into the batter.  I set my cheese out at least an hour before I get started, sometimes 2 hours.  I then mash the sugar into the cheese with a fork.  I beat my eggs before I just dump them in and stir well with a spatula.  The less air you incorporate, the less likely it is to rise in the middle and then fall and leave a lip and the less likely it is to crack.

Have fun and experiement! 

thebadchemist

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 07:44:37 PM »
Rockingrandma, no wonder they call you the cheesecake queen! I'm definitely going to put Cheesecake 101 to good use! Thank you!

Here's my favorite recipe. I picked it up from Paula's Home Cooking, but I made some changes. I'm posting the original recipe, then my changes at the bottom.

Joanne's Almost Fat-free Lemon Cheesecake
(courtesy of Paula Deen via www.foodnetwork.com)

Crust:
Cooking spray
1 3/4 cups fat-free vanilla wafer cookie crumbs, or any fat-free cookie crumbs of your choice
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
3 (8-ounce) packages fat-free cream cheese
1 cup fat-free sour cream
2 cups sugar or sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
3 large eggs or 3/4 cup egg substitute
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Lemon Curd:
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits, or any fat-free butter substitute

Make crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Lightly spray a (9-inch) springform pan with cooking spray. Mix crumbs and melted butter in a bowl. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up side of pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly golden and crust is set. Cool on rack.

Make filling: In large bowl with electric mixer on medium-high, beat cream cheese and sour cream for 2 to 3 minutes until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar or sugar substitute. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, just until incorporated. Beat in zest and juice. Pour into crust. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until center is almost set, but still slightly jiggly. (Do not overbake, as it will firm as it cools). Let cool completely.

Make lemon curd: In the top of a double boiler, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, egg, egg yolk, and sugar or sugar substitute over gently simmering water. Whisk until hot and frothy, about 5 minutes. Gradually whisk in butter and continue whisking for 7 minutes or until thickened and coats back of spoon. Remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes.

Run a thin blade around the edge of the springform pan and remove sides. Transfer to a serving plate. Spread lemon curd over top. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Garnish with raspberries and zest, if desired. Cool cheesecake in refrigerator several hours or overnight before serving.

My changes:

Crust- I didn't have Nilla wafers, so I used Trader Joe's Butter Almond Thins. They make a great crust. Feel free to use any butter-esque cookie you can find.

Filling- I used regular sugar, which results in a creamier cheesecake. I also ended up using regular sour cream and cream cheese, but I've found that you can interchange the fat-free stuff with no noticeable change.

Curd- Regular sugar here, as well. As you can probably tell, I decided to omit the "fat-free" part of the cheesecake.

Baking- I used a water bath, because the one time I didn't, the cake had a lip and cracked in the middle.

XRogue

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 08:10:04 PM »
I've got a chocolate cheescake recipe that is dead easy and scarily good. :)

Fudge truffle Cheesecake

Crust:

Stir together

1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine

Press into the bottome of 9 inch springform pan

Filling:

12 oz package semi sweet chocolate chips
3 8-oz packages softened cream cheese
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Beat cream cheese in large bowl till fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk till smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, and melted chocolate chips. Mix well, pour into prepared crust. Bake at 300 degrees one hour and five minutes or until center is set. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Loosen cake from side of pan with knife. Cool completely, remove side of pan, and refrigerate several hours before serving.

Can be garnished with cherry or bluberry pie filling, chocolate curls or whatever. Also works with white chocolate chips, or peanut butter morsels.

retreadbride

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »
Here's one I found on allrecipes but haven't tried yet. Just reading it makes me gain weight. I'm planning on making it for Easter.

White Chocolate Cheesecake with White Chocolate Brandy Sauce

"This is a dense cheesecake that is very smooth and melts in your mouth. The white chocolate brandy sauce tops it off. I just nap it over the center of the slice of cheesecake on the plate. I garnish it with mint leaves and either raspberries or strawberries."

Original recipe yield:
1 - 10 inch cake

INGREDIENTS
4 (1 ounce) squares white chocolate
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups finely chopped white chocolate
2 fluid ounces brandy

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Wrap the outside of a 10 inch springform pan with foil. Grease the inside of the pan.

Place the cream cheese, sugar, and flour in a mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape bowl.

Melt 4 ounces of the white chocolate. With an electric mixer on low speed, mix melted white chocolate into cream cheese mixture. Keeping electric mixer on low, slowly beat in the vanilla and 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Blend well. Pour mixture into the prepared springform pan.

Place cheesecake pan in a water bath filled with warm water. Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes, or until center of the cheesecake is just firm. Cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Refrigerate until set before removing from pan.

To make White Chocolate Brandy Sauce: Place 1 cup heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Watch carefully so it doesn't boil over. Pour hot cream over 2 cups of finely chopped white chocolate and stir with a wooden spoon until melted. Add brandy and continue stirring until incorporated. Pour over chilled cheesecake and serve.