News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 08, 2016, 05:59:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Secret Santa Expenditure vs Value  (Read 1251 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Secret Santa Expenditure vs Value
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
The same Secret Santa party custom from last year is happening again.  The directive is for a gender-neutral gift of $8-10.  In the last few days I took advantage of two great deals:

3-wick candles at B&BW for $8.50 each (list price $22.50)
BOGO for Russell Stover boxed chocolates (list-priced at $9.99 each)

The same drug store chain now had a deal of $10 for the $25 size box of RS. 

What would you give under these circumstances or would you say to apply the price criteria to list price only?  The party is a week from Friday.

ClaireC79

Re: Secret Santa Expenditure vs Value
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »
I give on what I've spent, which normally means the RRP is a lot more

Mustard

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »
.... And you won't be the only one to have found a good deal, so I too would go with what I spent.

DavidH

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:27:02 PM »
I go with the price I paid for the item, not the list price.  However, if I used a $5 off coupon, I wouldn't feel compelled to pick out an item that cost $13-15 vs. the $8-10 specified. 

For the examples given, I'd go with the candle or the marked down single box of chocolate.  If I went with the BOGO offer, I'd give one box, since it seems awkward to me to give 2 boxes. 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »
The same Secret Santa party custom from last year is happening again.  The directive is for a gender-neutral gift of $8-10.  In the last few days I took advantage of two great deals:

3-wick candles at B&BW for $8.50 each (list price $22.50)
BOGO for Russell Stover boxed chocolates (list-priced at $9.99 each)

The same drug store chain now had a deal of $10 for the $25 size box of RS. 

What would you give under these circumstances or would you say to apply the price criteria to list price only?  The party is a week from Friday.

My rule of thumb over the years has been I stay within the price limit, but look for bargains, and have usually been able to find something at a great deal that maybe cost more than the limit. But that being said, I kind of keep it to the general price range, if that makes sense. As in, if the price limit was $15-20, and I got a $100 item for $20, and it was clearly worth way more than the limit, so I wouldn't give that. But let's say I found a really pretty $30 scarf, on sale and had a coupon, and it brought the price down by half. No one will know how much it orignally cost, so in that case, its fine to give, since you did only pay $15.

But something like you describe sounds fine; no one needs to know just how much you spent on an item, even if you did get it at a huge discount which allows it to fit into the price range for the exchange.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »
I think others have the right idea. The candle would be a fine option. I might not give just the one box candy that essentially cost you $5 for one because it reads as a little less generous to me -- but then, I know those kinds of things go on sale all the time and a $10 retail price box can often be found for less. Your experience may vary.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »
I think any of them would be fine (do you need to include the tax in the $8-10 range? - if so, the $25 box of chocolates for $10 would be out, IMO).

But for the $10 box of chocolates that you got for essentially $5, I might add something to it, like a $2 or $3 lottery scratch ticket.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Oh Joy

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
I remember it making sense to me when my sister used the phrase "perceived value" when shopping for coworkers and kids' teachers and the like.  It doesn't matter what you actually paid; it matters what most people would expect someone paid for it. 

For example, I'd consider a B&BW 3-wick candle's perceived value to be around $10-15.    With all of the sales and coupons and such available for them year-round, the $22 list price is almost irrelevant and I wouldn't consider it to even be a $20 gift.  If someone scored really well and got it for less than $10, then that's a private reward for good shopping.

Further, if something was really a steal, I would still only give it if the perceived value is in the requested range.  So if I'd managed to score a B&BW 3-wick candle for $4.25, I wouldn't give it for a $5 gift exchange.

How is that for not helpful?   ;D

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »
This has given me frustration to the point where I refuse to do this kind of exchange anymore.

I agree with the previous poster, Oh Joy, about perceived value. No matter what you paid for it, It needs to look as if it fits in the given price range. So no $$$$ items if the limit is $5-10 even if you scored with Groupon or something.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
I tend to go off "this is my budget" for the item, not for how much it costs when not on sale.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 06:12:01 PM »
I go on the $ amount paid, not perceived value. (This is also why I wouldn't see a secret Santa as a chance to regift).

I try to maximise the value of the gift within that budget. Some people may not. As long as I get a present in exchange I'm good. The only time I've been unhappy over Secret Santa has been with an unwelcome joke gift (that was really inappropriate for a workplace).

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 09:57:17 PM »
Thanks for your replies. 

I agree that the $25 box would not be appropriate.  This is the first time I've ever seen it go on sale to that price.  There are a bunch of Christmas-themed scratch lottery tickets I might think about.  B&BW also had tote bags for $1.50 that day that were probably designed for this one-day candle sale so if I go with the candle I'll add it.

This certainly beats the $35-50 price range for the Secret Santa at my last company.

Alicia

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »
I follow the rule that I will give something up to 50% off that is in the value range but if more then that I would go on percieved value. So if I got a 5 to 10 range and bought something worth 15 dollars on sale for 8 i would bring that but if it was worth 20 i wouldn't However I would bring a 12 dollar item i bought for 3.

DaisyG

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »
My secret santa this year has a limit of 5 and most people will spend as near to 5 as possible.  I tend to go for perceived value, so I might buy something for 5 that was originally 8-10 but I wouldn't buy something that was 25 reduced to 5. Also I would gift something I got for 3 but it was originally 10.

I adopted this idea as I once attended a party where we had to bring a gift from the 1 shop (costing 1 as now they sometimes have things that cost more). I found a large soup mug with a spoon in the handle and brought that. I didn't think to bring the receipt but I wish I had as I got told off for bringing something that obviously had to have cost more than 1!

kudeebee

« Reply #14 on: Today at 12:21:03 AM »
I tend to go for perceived value as well.  So, sometimes I end up paying close to the limit, other times I am able to find a great deal.

I am in a social group that does an ornament/holiday item exchange.  Last year most of the gifts appeared to be in the $8-$10 limit; however a few were clearly over.  A few members brought this up at a meeting this year where we were discussing the exchange and we all agreed to go with "actual cost of item" and not what we paid.  It made for a much better exchange this year, where some members didn't feel bad like last year because their gifts didn't look as expensive.

So, if it was me, I would go with the RS candy--price fits in the range for one box. 

Second choice would be a candle, but the candle only without the tote.  It might be perceived as tad over by those familiar with BBW pricing; but could be perceived as way over the limit by those that don't (they might think it closer to retail price, not thinking you may have gotten it on sale.)