News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 05, 2015, 10:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decorating for Easter  (Read 3647 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Decorating for Easter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »
There's a house in our neighborhood that decorated a small tree in their front yard by hanging colorful plastic eggs with ribbon. It's adorable and makes me smile every time I pass by.

mandycorn

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:49:37 PM »
One year at college I hung a bunch of plastic eggs from the ceiling using fishing line and push pins. They were a ton of fun to jump at to get them swinging and they went nicely with the colored Christmas lights we never took down, but at my "grown-up house" I usually stick to a couple of bunny figurines and an Easter Egg wreath on the front door.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Elisabunny

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
Easter is probably my favorite holiday to decorate for, because the colors are so pretty.  I try to go with stuff that indicates the religious aspects.  So, lambs and butterflies and chicks instead of bunnies, unless the bunnies are really cute.  We have a fairly large collection now of blown eggs that we have decorated.   Most hang from a mounted branch, painted white, for an Easter tree.  The rest go in a glass bowl.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

darkprincess

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 04:44:42 PM »
A house down the street from us does outdoor displays of eggs hanging from her trees. There are literally hundreds of them. It is very beautiful.
Three years ago, the neighbor across the street, was offended by the eggs because he says they were Pagan and not Christian. After asking several of us to object to her display and most of us saying we thought it was pretty, the neighbor decided to show us the "true reason for the season." He wrote that on a sign he puts in his yard. In addition to the sign are three giant crosses-one is at least 6 feet tall and the other two a little shorter. He puts a ring of old blackberry vines on it (crown of thorns) and 3 really large nails painted bright red in appropriate places on the tall cross. There is some sort of cloth draped over the cross as well.
In some ways the juxtaposition of the two displays makes me giggle. We do not decorate for fear that the neighbor will add something to his now yearly display.
Ironically through this I got to know both neighbors. The lady with the eggs is the Christian Pastor for the state prison located in our county. She likes both displays. The other neighbor is one of the few staff members of a small community theatre known to do some very avant-garde experimental theater. 

Elisabunny

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »
Personally, I think eggs make very good religious Easter decorations- life coming out of something that seems lifeless.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

katycoo

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 12:45:18 AM »
I feel like Easter decorations must be an American thing. I've never seen anyone decorate for Easter.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 01:28:31 AM »
When my girls were growing up, I always decorated, and we did the Easter Egg thing. They are adults now, and I have worked Easter for the last 12 years.

This year my daughter is having an Easter Dinner on Saturday with the egg hunt before dinner. Before Easter, I plan on decorating eggs with my granddaughter. I got white plastic eggs, and we are going to glue small pieces of colored tissue paper on them, so it looks like stained glass. (She is 3 1/2) so the attention span isn't there yet for big projects.

In fact, you all just reminded me to pull out the decorations and give them to my daughter for the grandchildren to enjoy!  :D

jazzgirl205

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 08:13:29 PM »
When my dd was Easter basket age, I had a life-size bisque rabbit flanked by two green vases of fresh flowers on my diningroom table.  One winter, a raccoon found it's way into my attic and caused quite a mess.  The rabbit was filthy and showed signs that the raccoon "did something to it."  Although I scrubbed and cleaned it the best I could, it will never go on my table again.

I do a fancy table decoration on Saturday night.  Since Holy Week is such a somber time,  I feel uncomfortable decorating any earlier.  DD is a teenager now so she doesn't get a basket.  I now do what my mother did.  I polish all the silver and set a silver tray on the diningroom table.  I arrange Easter grass on it with chocolate bunnies, all sorts of candies, and pastel M&Ms in china egg shaped boxes.  I don't dye eggs anymore because they are already blue and green. I get them from a nearby farm.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
I feel like Easter decorations must be an American thing. I've never seen anyone decorate for Easter.

Decorated Easter Eggs are big in Ukraine

and also in Germany (Easter Fountains)

gmatoy

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »
Bopper, thank you for sharing those lovely pictures!