Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

"No, mom. No need to pick me up. I'll drive and meet you there"

(1/3) > >>

geordicat:
My mom and her bf want to pick me up for dinner in a few weeks.  I don't see well at night, so.. they think they are saving me the hassle of driving. 

However, I get car sick when I ride in the back seat.  It doesn't matter how short the drive is, unless I'm driving or in the front passenger seat, I get queasy.  It doesn't help that my mom's bf drives unbelieveably slow and he hasn't figured out how to get the volume of the stereo to turn down in the back.  THey tell me it's automatically on a set level when the turn on the car.  So I have to wait for 'Burt' to turn on the car, talk.. talk.. TALK (good god the man talks a lot) so I'm waiting for him to turn down the sound.

My mom has changed dinner venues a few times.. first was seafood because that's all Burt wants.  He's allergic to pepper (any kind.. bell, spicy, black) so that leaves out most foods for him and 'seafood places give him more options of what he can eat.'  My mom and I don't like seafood that much... shellfish, ok.  Fins.. notsomuch.  Besides, the logic is we can always order non seafood stuff from a seafood place (kinda like going to a chinese place and getting a burger).  Burt gets his seafood and that's all that matters.

So.. dinner is at The Keg and it's just a few miles from my house to 'save me the hassle of driving at night they will pick me up.'  I told her nicely several times I"ll meet them there... really, I can do that.  Finally I had to say "NO I won't get in the back seat!  It makes me want to heave and Burt takes FOREVER to get in the car and get started to even turn on the stupid car."  We've joked that, before, if I did have to ride with them, I'm not getting in the car until Burt's halfway down the street because he gets in, turns on the car, (que music at loud volume) forgets something, has to go back in the house, comes back, turns down the music, forgets something, goes back in, comes back, puts car in gear, forgets something....  it's a battle my mom chooses to not fight, but that irritates the snot out of me, especially since I'm the one getting sick in the back.

My mom argued that SHE doesn't get sick, and she's ridden in the back.  That's nice.  I get car sick.  I get motion sick.  I don't want to ride in the back.

So I"m the unreasonable one for not wanting to ride in the back for 'just a few blocks.'   I don't mind if they come over (but will have to argue with my mom to park in an uncovered spot.. she'll park anywhere and claim it's only for a minute.. see, rules don't apply to her.. ya... rather entitled) but I do not want to get in the back seat and be sick.

hjaye:
I don't blame you one bit.  I don't get car sick, but I really don't like riding in the back seat of a two door sedan.  I get very cramped and claustrophobic.  I hate it when someone tells me "Well gee, it doesn't bother me"  Great, glad to hear it and how exactly is that supposed to make me feel better.

Stick to your guns, don't be bullied into being put in a situation that makes you uncomfortably sick.

geordicat:

--- Quote from: hjaye on November 13, 2007, 09:07:40 AM ---I don't blame you one bit.  I don't get car sick, but I really don't like riding in the back seat of a two door sedan.  I get very cramped and claustrophobic.  I hate it when someone tells me "Well gee, it doesn't bother me"  Great, glad to hear it and how exactly is that supposed to make me feel better.

Stick to your guns, don't be bullied into being put in a situation that makes you uncomfortably sick.

--- End quote ---

I have grandparents in San Diego.  I had a set of grandparents in Los Angeles.  For years and years I swore that Grandma and Grandpa W in LA were just up the street from G&G T in San Diego.  "Just up the street!!"  I thought that because my parents drugged me so I"d fall asleep so I wouldn't get car sick and heave all over Grandma W when we got there.

caranfin:

--- Quote from: geordicat on November 13, 2007, 08:54:07 AM ---My mom argued that SHE doesn't get sick, and she's ridden in the back.  That's nice.  I get car sick.  I get motion sick.  I don't want to ride in the back.

--- End quote ---

Then why doesn't she do the obvious... offer to ride in the back herself?  ::)

geordicat:

--- Quote from: caranfin on November 13, 2007, 10:28:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: geordicat on November 13, 2007, 08:54:07 AM ---My mom argued that SHE doesn't get sick, and she's ridden in the back.  That's nice.  I get car sick.  I get motion sick.  I don't want to ride in the back.

--- End quote ---

Then why doesn't she do the obvious... offer to ride in the back herself?  ::)

--- End quote ---

Because then her bf (who talks incessantly) can't talk to her!  I swear the man NEVER SHUTS UP.  Granted, he's smart.  Yes, he knows a lot.  Just ask him.  But he's so intent on telling you what HE knows about whatever subject it is, he doesn't listen.  But.. she's happy with him and they put up with each other and they are happy, so that's what counts.

Really, I don't know why she doesn't want to ride in the back.   Maybe because it would inconvenience her too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version