News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 07:48:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When just saying "NO" does not work. Guy tries to cancel AOL account...  (Read 17254 times)

GingerLee

Re: When just saying "NO" does not work. Guy tries to cancel AOL account...
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 10:02:37 AM »
I had the same experience with Vonage, cable telephone service.  It was a grueling experience.  It took several hours and several phone calls, but they finally did cancel.  It's no wonder people get rude in the face of such obstinance.

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 12:02:50 AM »
I think the generally accepted method to cancel AOL, is to close the account that AOL deducts the money from. 

I had to do that.

Me too.  ANd for two years now they have been sending me a bill each month, which I ignore. 

Have you checked your credit report to make sure your ignoring that bill isn't costing you your good credit?  Ignoring it isn't the way to make it stop, no matter how tedious the procedure is.  Try sending them a registered, certified letter demanding that the account be marked closed and that the billing stop.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

LJM

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »
DH calls AOL AOH*LL  -- now I understand.

Yeah, they've always been called that. Back in their hey-day, we could never figure out how they got so much business, since their product had always been so horrible and their practices so objectionable. I guess people just bought into their "the internet is a big, scary, place. So you need US to make it friendly for you!" advertising B.S. It's amazing what a company can get away with when their customer base doesn't know any better.

seren

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
what worked for me: saying "I'm sorry, but my husband says I have to cancel the account"...there wasn't anything they could say to that (lol).

Seren

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
what worked for me: saying "I'm sorry, but my husband says I have to cancel the account"...there wasn't anything they could say to that (lol).

Seren

It's funny you said that, I found out on accident when buying tools in a pawn shop that, "My father said I shouldn't pay more than X" to be an excellent negotiation tactic.  Probably because I am in my 30's.  I've used it 3 times and the response after a pause has always been, "Pick out whichever one you want, and I'll sell it to you for X." 

dawbs

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »

Seren

when I was a CSR my supervisor told me one "correct" way to counter that was to ask who wore the pants in the family...

I refused.  (we butted heads over that issue  ::))

Hecuba

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 03:01:02 AM »
This reminds me of the time I was trying to cancel my deceased aunt's AOL account and I kept getting cut off on the phone after speaking to the first agent; then, 2 1/2 hours later, when I finally got to speak to a second agent, and after he tried his best to talk me into keeping the account open, he told me he'd have to charge the account for shutting it down. I told him, "She's dead. Good luck getting blood out of that turnip." And I know Auntie L'edOL at that one.

The account was closed, and we never heard another word from AOL.