Author Topic: Pumpkin Pie  (Read 3905 times)

LB

Pumpkin Pie
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »
I have been searching online for a pumpkin pie recipe, and while there are plenty, they all seem pretty generic.

Any ideas for a pumpkin pie recipe that would stand out a bit?

42_42_42

Re: Pumpkin Pie
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »
I've always just made the pie per the instructions on the can of Libby's canned pumpkin.

Although, my family much prefers sweet potato pie, so we usually have that instead of pumpkin.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:11:35 PM »
My Mom makes something called an Impossible Pumpkin Pie. You do NOT use a crust for this pie, as it makes it's own! I love this, as I prefer the taste of the pie filling over the taste of the crust! :)

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bisquick
2 tbs butter
1 can evaporated milk (13 oz)
2 eggs
1 can pumpkin (16 oz)
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp vanilla

Beat all ingredients together, and pour into a greased pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

A pyrex pan is preferred for this.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

alecmari

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:33:55 PM »
I've always just made the pie per the instructions on the can of Libby's canned pumpkin.

Same here.  I make that every single year and it is delicious!

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:37:25 PM »
Next year, I'd like to do a pumpkin cheesecake.  I think pumpkin and cream cheese together is one of the most yummy combos ever.  I'm torn on the crust, though- I'm not sure the traditional graham cracker crust would be the best thing to compliment the pumpkin...

alecmari

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 02:47:17 PM »
I use a graham crust for pumpkin pies and prefer it for pumpkin pie over the regular flaky crusts.  Its sort of fun because I've experimented with different flavors of graham crackers over the years in the crust.  I think the Honey Graham flavor compliments the pumpkin best - YMMV.

Not sure how it would go with cheesecake but I would try both kinds to see.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »
I use the recipe on the Festal can. I don't even know if Festal is still available (it isn't out here in Idaho - the ONLY canned pumpkin is Libby's!), but I double the amount of cloves. I like my pie spicy! If you do this, just be sure the spices blend in very well and very thoroughly.

Another variation I have experimented with is using eggnog instead of evaporated milk as the liquid. This works very well and gives a rich texture and flavor. When I use eggnog I reduce the amount of sugar (because the eggnog already has sugar in it).

LB

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 04:27:26 PM »
When I use eggnog I reduce the amount of sugar (because the eggnog already has sugar in it).

Reduce it by how much?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »
When I use eggnog I reduce the amount of sugar (because the eggnog already has sugar in it).

Reduce it by how much?

It depends on your taste - I'd reduce it by half.

Summrs

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:08 PM »
Deb, graham crackers are good for a spiced pumpkin cheesecake, but add a little to them:

5 oz graham crackers (9 whole crackers), broken into large pieces 
3 tb granulated sugar   
1/2 ts ground ginger   
1/2 ts ground cinnamon   
1/4 ts ground cloves   
6 tb unsalted butter, melted 

Pulse crackers, sugar, and spices in food processor until evenly and finely ground, about fifteen 2-second pulses. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl, drizzle melted butter over, and mix with rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Turn crumbs into prepared spring form pan and, using hand, spread crumbs into even layer. Using flat-bottomed ramekin or drinking glass, press crumbs evenly into pan bottom, then use a soup spoon to press and smooth crumbs into edges of pan.  Bake about 15 minutes at 325. 

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 08:51:46 AM »
Thanks so much!  That sounds really good...I might be trying that this year for Christmas...

LB

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:50:15 AM »
Deb, graham crackers are good for a spiced pumpkin cheesecake, but add a little to them:

5 oz graham crackers (9 whole crackers), broken into large pieces 
3 tb granulated sugar   
1/2 ts ground ginger   
1/2 ts ground cinnamon   
1/4 ts ground cloves   
6 tb unsalted butter, melted 

Pulse crackers, sugar, and spices in food processor until evenly and finely ground, about fifteen 2-second pulses. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl, drizzle melted butter over, and mix with rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Turn crumbs into prepared spring form pan and, using hand, spread crumbs into even layer. Using flat-bottomed ramekin or drinking glass, press crumbs evenly into pan bottom, then use a soup spoon to press and smooth crumbs into edges of pan.  Bake about 15 minutes at 325. 

Would this also work well for a regular pumpkin pie (possibly with eggnog in it)?

I'd like to try that and the Impossible Pumpkin Pie a PP suggested.

lamorevincera

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 09:51:53 AM »
DF makes pumpkin cheesecake... and he uses gingersnaps as the crust base. Best modification everrrr.

LB

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
DF makes pumpkin cheesecake... and he uses gingersnaps as the crust base. Best modification everrrr.

That sounds incredible! Yummy.

Summrs

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »
Kalila, I don't know.  Regular pumpkin pie has the regular pie crust.. I guess it would work.  You'd probably have to make a little more, though, because the recipe for the cheesecake crust only covers the bottom of the pan, not up the sides like you'd need for a regular pie.