Author Topic: Pumpkin Pie  (Read 3960 times)

edenparadox

Re: Pumpkin Pie
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
Regular pumpkin pie has a regular pie crust? That's news to me.  :) I've actually never used a regular pie crust for pumpkin pie and I think it would taste weird. I use a graham cracker crust and it definitely adds something extra. Just press it up the sides.

Summrs

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »
Yeah, just press it up the sides, but the recipe I posted makes it for a bottom crust.  You'd have to make more to have enough thickness to go up the sides, I think. 

And I've never seen a pumpkin pie with anything other than a normal pie crust, lol. 

alecmari

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »
I ALWAYS make my pumpkin pies with graham crust.  That's part of the reason I don't care for store-bought - I think pumpkin pie is much better with a graham crust.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 09:46:08 PM »
DF makes pumpkin cheesecake... and he uses gingersnaps as the crust base. Best modification everrrr.

I was just going to say this, but you already did!  I make a pumpkin swirl cheesecake with a gingersnap crust.  Yum!!

alecmari

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 09:59:16 PM »
DF makes pumpkin cheesecake... and he uses gingersnaps as the crust base. Best modification everrrr.

I was just going to say this, but you already did!  I make a pumpkin swirl cheesecake with a gingersnap crust.  Yum!!

Okay, I'll bite.  I want to try this - how do you make a gingersnap crust?  ;D

42_42_42

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »
Next year, I'd like to do a pumpkin cheesecake.  I think pumpkin and cream cheese together is one of the most yummy combos ever.  I'm torn on the crust, though- I'm not sure the traditional graham cracker crust would be the best thing to compliment the pumpkin...

I have a wonderful recipe for pumpkin cheesecake that uses gingersnaps for the crust:

Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake (from the Betty Crocker Thanksgiving booklet published in the fall of 2006)

Prep time: 40 min Start to finish: 9 hours 10 min

Sevrings: 16

crust
2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs (about 32) [use a food processor to make crumbs out of the cookies, they're too hard to crush using a rolling pin]
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

filling
4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1. Heat oven to 300 deg F. Grease 9-inch springform pan with shortening or cooking spray. Wrap foil around pan to catch drips. In small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and butter. Press crumb mixture in bottom and 1 inch up side of pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool 5 minutes.

2. In large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed just until smooth and creamy; do not over beat. On low speed, gradually beat in sugar. On low speed, beat in eggs, one at a time, just until blended.  Spoon 3 cups of the cream cheese mixture into pan; spread evenly.

3. Stir pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg into remaining cream cheese mixture; mix with wire whisk until smooth. Spoon over mixture in pan.

4. Bake 1 hour 25 minutes to 1 hour 30 miuntes or until edges are set but center of cheesecake still jiggles slightly when moved.

5. Turn oven off; open oven door at least 4 inches. Leave cheesecake in oven 30 minutes longer. Remove from ove; place on cooling rack. Without releasing side of pan, run knife around edge of pan to loosen cheesecake. Cool in pan on cooling rack 30 minutes. Cover loosely; refrigerate at least 6 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

6. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen cheesecake again; carefully remove side of pan. Place cheesecake on serving plate. Store cheesecake covered in refrigerator.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 08:27:21 AM »
Triple42, that looks great, and not too hard (I'm not a baker...)

Thanks so much!  I'll let you know how it turns out if I get to do it!!

Deb

MameDennis

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 09:52:29 AM »
I haven't tried this, but it looked really good on the Paula Deen Thanksgiving special  ;)

pumpkin pie made with apple butter...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32337,00.html

LB

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 01:04:43 PM »
Deb, graham crackers are good for a spiced pumpkin cheesecake, but add a little to them:

5 oz graham crackers (9 whole crackers), broken into large pieces 
3 tb granulated sugar   
1/2 ts ground ginger   
1/2 ts ground cinnamon   
1/4 ts ground cloves   
6 tb unsalted butter, melted 

Pulse crackers, sugar, and spices in food processor until evenly and finely ground, about fifteen 2-second pulses. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl, drizzle melted butter over, and mix with rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Turn crumbs into prepared spring form pan and, using hand, spread crumbs into even layer. Using flat-bottomed ramekin or drinking glass, press crumbs evenly into pan bottom, then use a soup spoon to press and smooth crumbs into edges of pan.  Bake about 15 minutes at 325. 

I don't have a spring form pan. Is there any reason it would not work to bake the crust in the pan that I plan to bake the pie in later?

Summrs

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »
I've never made a cheesecake in a regular pie plate...  It should work, but it might be too shallow to hold all the cheesecake mixture.  If it doesn't hold it all, adjust the baking time so it doesn't overcook.  Also, the sides slope away from the bottom, as opposed to a springform, which has straight sides.  You should bring the crust up the sides, then, so the pudding part has some support when you cut the pieces.

LB

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 03:56:19 PM »
I wasn't planning on doing cheesecake, sorry I wasn't clear about that. But, I would imagine it would be about the same for pumpkin pie too.

I have a very deep glass pie plate. I think I will try it with that.

LB

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 04:13:39 PM »
Another variation I have experimented with is using eggnog instead of evaporated milk as the liquid. This works very well and gives a rich texture and flavor. When I use eggnog I reduce the amount of sugar (because the eggnog already has sugar in it).

Cathy, I tried this today and brought it to work for my coworkers. I have gotten so many compliments and people telling me how wonderful it tastes! Thank you for the tip. I wish I could taste it myself, but I have to wait until Thanksgiving.

Now...dare I try to make a homemade graham cracker crust?  :-\

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 04:38:14 PM »

Okay, I'll bite.  I want to try this - how do you make a gingersnap crust?  ;D

You buy the little gingersnaps that are wafer size and you put them in a food processor and pulse them until they are turned into crumbs.  You then add butter like a regular graham cracker crust and there you go.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 10:04:52 PM »
Another variation I have experimented with is using eggnog instead of evaporated milk as the liquid. This works very well and gives a rich texture and flavor. When I use eggnog I reduce the amount of sugar (because the eggnog already has sugar in it).

Cathy, I tried this today and brought it to work for my coworkers. I have gotten so many compliments and people telling me how wonderful it tastes! Thank you for the tip. I wish I could taste it myself, but I have to wait until Thanksgiving.

Now...dare I try to make a homemade graham cracker crust?  :-\

I'm glad they liked it! :)

Yes, try the graham cracker crust.