Author Topic: Any ideas for a fussy diabetic?  (Read 1622 times)

Germane Jackson

Any ideas for a fussy diabetic?
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:17:37 PM »
FH was diagnosed with type 1.5 earlier this year. He has always been a fussy eater. He refuses to eat any veggies except for peas and potatoes and likes some fruit. He only eats chicken breat and beef. He will not eat any meat off the bone, and won't eat pork, lamb, etc.  He doesn't like rice, beans, or pasta either.

He's not feeling too well these days so eating right is rather important and he is trying hard to try different things. I do a lot of marinades and things, but I can't just do that. He needs to have something with it..like rice, pasta, etc.

So whatdoes a veggie-hating, pasta-hating, most-meat hating diabetic eat?

nrb80

• Global Moderator
Re: Any ideas for a fussy diabetic?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:49:26 PM »
Let' try the reverse - what does he like?  If you know that maybe we can help.

Germane Jackson

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:05:15 PM »
White meat on chicken, beef for meat. Peas and potatoes for veggies, apples, bananas (i guess tomatoes are in the fruit category), grapes, oranges.

He likes all kinds of cheese and was advised by the doc to stay with  light cheeses, which he does do.

But, he has to learn to like something otherwise he's going to feel sluggish and sick all the time.

Ant V

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:08:32 PM »
Well all I can offer is what my father, a diabetic, would have said to the picky eater.  "You don't like what's here for dinner? There's the peanut butter and bread".   Unless the diabetic does not have the mental capacity to correct his fussy ways, he'll  have to learn the hard way.  Have you consulted a dietitian?  I would not drive myself nuts trying to make a picky diabetic eater happy if he/she refused to work with me.  I don't think peas and potatoes are high on the list for diabetic patient's diets. 

Germane Jackson

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:11:16 PM »
He literally starts retching at the thought of eating meat off the bone or being introduced to a carrot. He says he has bad childhood food memories, so perhaps it's a shrink he's needin'!  :P

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 10:02:18 PM »

With that limited a diet, he may have to choose between broadening his food choices and overcoming his early food problems, or getting used to living with poor health.

I'd go straight to the doctor and lay this before them, and see what they say.

waterwren

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 10:27:25 PM »
Chicken with Marinara Sauce would be one if he likes tomatoes.

Tomatoes with Fresh Mozzarella and a Vinegar dressing. For a side.

Beef can be done in any number of ways. Get a George Forman,,,it's easy and drains the fat while cooking.

If he wants to expand his veggie eating start with a mixed veggie bag. See what he likes out of it. It's mostly peas ( at least the one I get is) so he'll have mostly his favorite.

Oh and the Mrs Dash's shakers are your friend.

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 07:56:08 AM »
White meat on chicken, beef for meat. Peas and potatoes for veggies, apples, bananas (i guess tomatoes are in the fruit category), grapes, oranges.

He likes all kinds of cheese and was advised by the doc to stay with  light cheeses, which he does do.

But, he has to learn to like something otherwise he's going to feel sluggish and sick all the time.

Hmm - most of those fruits and veggies are high on the glycemic index - though I don't know what his therapy requires.

Any textures he likes / dislikes?

You can fake the feeling of a cheese sauce with a white sauce, I make one for my husband with olive oil, whole wheat flour, and soy milk. 

How about pureed soups?  If he likes apple, might he like a butternut squash apple soup that tastes pretty apple-y?

If he likes peas, will he eat a peas and watercress soup, or something with the taste of peas but maybe with more stuff?

If he wants to try new things, I echo a previous poster - try lots of things and see what he likes.

nliedel

• In my dreams, I'm a Goddess!
  • busy, as always
    • Goat Rodeo Fiber Fiesta
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »
The sad thing is that you can make all the tempting healthy food in the world and if he is going to stick up his nose, he's going to stick up his nose. My mother-in-law was diagnosed several years ago and she will still eat a whole pecan pie. We've all tried to help her change, but she's not going to, until she is ready.

Just make what he wil eat that is healthy and talk, without nagging, which is hard when someone you love is killing themselves with dorkiness.
Fiber artist, writer, belly dancer. Four boys and a husband of twenty years. I'm happy

Only me

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:28:37 AM »
Hi

I too am a picky eater, LOL at least with veggies.

I had a friend get me to eat cauliflower and it was actually good. She cooked it, kind of mostly par boiled, then put it on a cookie sheet, smoothered it in tomato sauce and cheese in the oven. Melted teh cheese and finished cooking the cauliflower. And why was it good, cause I couldn't taste the cauliflower.

I agree with consulting a dietician. I'm not sure where you are, but I know in my community I can get like 4 hours consultation thru the Medical board because of my eating history. Maybe the local hospital or Diabetic society has some hints.

Good luck, Dolley

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »
kitty - would your husband be willing to speak to a nutritionist - therapist - someone? you can try all you like to get him to eat other foods, you can clean up your house and cook healthy stuff,  but the bottom line is that HE has to be responsible for HIS life and until HE makes the choice, he is going to suffer, and so will his family. SOMEONE needs to get it into his thick skull that he needs to be very careful. diabetes is a serious disease and if he doesn't keep things under control it's going to get worse.

I don't mean to scare YOU - but someone needs to scare HIM. I watched my mother die of juvenile diabetes. It was a progressive disease, and each time her body went out of whack, it was that much harder for her to get back on track. and my mother was very very very careful about what/how/when she ate. My ex-H went from being "borderline" type II to full blown type II all because he didn't take it seriously and didn't watch his weight/diet/lifestyle. of course , to hear HIM tell the story it was MY fault because I didn't cook the right foods. oh, right. see - i DID cook the right foods but all the vegetables, olive oil, chicken breasts, salad in the world isn't going to help if they don't get off their behinds and take care of themselves. My exH would look at the food i made, and go out to the mall and get fast food, ice cream, and assorted garbage. ::)

the actual vegetables that your husband likes are the ones he shouldn't be eating - both peas and potatoes have a high glycemic level, and while it's fine ocassionaly, his diet should consist of vegs with a low or medium glycemic level (tomatoes, zuchinni, lettuce, etc).

he's a grown up and if he can't understand that he HAS TO change his life style, then get him to a therapist and hopefully that will work. good luck

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Germane Jackson

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
He actually is scared and I told him I started a thread about him!  ;D All of those suggestions sound lovely and I may even make some for myself and see if he'll try it. He can't cook. He is hopeless, so it's easier for me to just make something.

He isn't supposed to eat that much fruit. The doctor told him months ago what to avoid and what he should have more of. He slipped off it for a while and not suprisingly he is very sick now. I was so disappointed that he had because he had lost weight and started looking healthier than he ever had. He even started getting into shape.

He is losing his eyesight and everything now amongst other things.. He's been seeing the news reports about diabetics having legs amputated and some even dying. He says 'That's far-fetched isn`t it?' I said 'If you don't start looking after yourself it won't be so far-fetched!'

So I've printed off a bunch of recipes and if there's even a few things that he likes off of them, they can at least be rotated a few times a week.

Tonight I 'm making him some spicy beef dish that has been marinating in dry spices for 2 days. It's supposed to be served with rice..so he's going to have to learn to like rice, dang it!

Oh and did I mention that I'm a vegetarian? He used to say I was the fussy eater. Never. In.. A. Million.Years.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »
tell him that death, blindness, and amputations due to diabetes is NOT far fetched. my mother was 53 when she died a very painful death. the last few years of her life were very difficult for her - she was in and out of the hospital all the time. she was losing her eye sight. my mother's grandfather had diabetes (in runs in our family, and so far skips a generation). he was totally blind. my mother's brother was also very sick bec of the diabetes.

good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »
Since he doesn't cook at all, you may want to see if there are healthy frozen dinners that he might be interested in. Also, maybe adding a nutrient drink or something to help him get the right kinds of nutrients.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »
Here's a recipe for veg. beef soup that has a lot of veggies in it.  Perhaps you can start there.  Somewhere.  Anywhere.  You can add as much or little of something as you'd like, and the quantities will depend on that and how much you're making.  It would be easy to start with, say, a larger amount of tomatoes, beans, celery and onion and increase the amount of zucchini, spinach and carrots over time.  I'm using amounts for a med-sized pot.

beef broth
1 lb. sirloin, chopped into small pieces
1 cup chopped onion
2 tbs. tomato paste
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 bag baby spinach, stemmed
1 cup chopped zucchini
can red kidney beans
canned diced tomato's
1 tbs. olive oil
1 bay leaf
parsley and pepper to taste

Add oil to hot saute pan and heat over med. until shimmery but not smoking.  Add sirloin and brown, aprox. 2 mins.  Add onions and tomato paste and saute 2 mins, until onions start to brown on edges.  Empty into soup pot.  Add a small amount of beef broth to saute pan and scrape up fond, adding to the soup pot.  To the soup pot, add carrots, kidney beans, bay leaf and tomatoes (including liquid) and cover with beef broth to two inches above vegs.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 mins.  Add celery, spinach and zucchini and more broth if needed and return to simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove bay leaf and add parsley and pepper to taste.

Ok I'm editing to include a variation if you need to sneak the veggies he won't eat in.  If you think he'll flat up refuse things like the carrots, zuccini and spinach, you can do it this way.  Before you start the beef, saute the carrots in some olive oil.  Add the zuccini, spinach, a pinch of salt and enough beef broth to cover them and simmer for 10 minutes.  Put in a blender or food processor and puree.  Add into the recipe using in place of some of the beef broth in the first part.

If it will make him more likely to eat it, you can add some potato's and peas too (add potato's with first batch of veggies and frozen peas with second).  Red skin potatoes have less starch than white potato's.  Rice generally isn't that good unless you can get him to eat wild or brown rice - white rice is pure starch.  MIL (who is diabetic and controls hers completely through diet and exercise) swears by baby-spinach salad with fresh tomato's and bleu cheese crumbles.

Add me to the list of people who have watched someone die a very painful death due to complications from diabetes.  By the time my grandmother had died, she'd lost her sight, one leg, the other had an open wound from years earlier that couldn't heal, dementia, as well as a myriad of other health problems.  She was in her early 60's.  It very commonly happens to diabetics who don't control their diabetes.  Your husband is taking a lot of chances. 

Ok I just mentioned this to MIL (she called) and she said to see a nutritionist after she was diagnosed is the best advice she got.  There are also tons and tons of diabetic cookbooks and cooking websites out there and she suggested you just google "diabetic cooking".

Good luck to you and FH.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:54:44 PM by LiveLoveLearn »