Author Topic: Need a Recipe for Guandis (Italian Pastry) - Update  (Read 2434 times)

G'sMom

Need a Recipe for Guandis (Italian Pastry) - Update
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »
Ok, in the other thread about Holiday Baking, this surfaced in my mind. I called my grandmother and apparently she lost this recipe a few years ago after spilling something on it and was unable to save it  :'(
(I was wondering why we haven't had them in a few years!)
Does anyone have this recipe? Here is a link to what they look like (in case they are called something else)
http://www.tripolibakery.com/image.asp?image=18pastryp.jpg
The pic is kind of big (Sorry!) but they are about the size of a Pizzelle or the diameter of your entire hand. They are not filled with anything and are really light and airy. Usually coated in powdered sugar, though some people dip the tops in chocolate. Anyone?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:11:13 PM by jaysgrasshopper »

CG

G'sMom

Re: Need a Recipe for Guandis (Italian Pastry)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:26:45 PM »
Holy Baloney!
I think you found them!! ( I never thought to put a W instead of a G)
Both sound right to me, I'm not sure if she baked or fried them.  I want to say fried, but both recipes look like they could be it. I'm going to show them to her this weekend and find out.
THANK YOU!!!!!  :D

CG

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »
I googled for "Italian Cookies" and just started going through the recipes I found.

G'sMom

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 08:13:47 AM »
I googled for "Italian Cookies" and just started going through the recipes I found.

I tried that! What the...  hmm.  Well the important thing is that it has been found, and now you are my hero :D

CG

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 09:32:03 AM »
Let me know what your grandmother says or if you try those. They look like mini funnel cakes to me and I LOVE my funnel cake...they're just too big for me to eat a whole one and get greasy if you try to eat them later. Can those be stored?

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 10:56:10 AM »
Oh you have just brought back so many happy memories of eating these around my grandfather's table.  I have a couple old cookbooks - never thought to look for that in there!  I'll see what I can find.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »
ok, this is oh-so-weird, and i am not sure if this is the same pastry,  but my former MIL makes something that looks exactly like that, and she is from tunisia. and i know for sure that other immigrants to israel (from other n. african countries) make them . she calls them J'labieh or something like that. hers are fried. after they are fried, they soak them in a very thick sugar/water syrup and then put them out to dry. they are very sticky but last forever and ever. they make them for certain holidays and sometimes weddings and other occassions.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

G'sMom

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 02:00:13 PM »
Well I spoke with my grandmother today and she said they are fried.  She also enlisted one of her friends to hunt down one of her recipes to compare them.  I think the fried one is going to be the one it is  ;D
I am so happy! And far as I can remember they don't last long enough to "keep fresh"   ;)
But I do remember them always being tightly sealed and wrapped until Christmas EVe (she made them the day before). We have actually set a date to make them together so she can show me (apparently you need two people to do them and they are quite difficult, she tells me). We are going to do them next Saturday (after Thanksgiving) so I will post an update on how it went!
Mmmmmm...I can almost taste them now....drooooooool. May have to make some pizzelles while I'm at it!

CG

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 07:28:32 PM »
*waits for update*

Didja make them yet? Huh? Huh?

Correction: *rather impatiently waits for update*  >:D

G'sMom

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »
*waits for update*

Didja make them yet? Huh? Huh?

Correction: *rather impatiently waits for update*  >:D

we are making them THIS coming weekend (saturday) after Thanksgiving :)
I will definitely post an update.  Especially once I can determine for myself how difficult they are to make. Wish me luck!

G'sMom

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 08:57:12 AM »
UPDATE
ok, my grandmother and I spent yesterday baking. However it did not turn out to be the Guandis  :-\
Neither of us thought ahead enough to make the dough the night before and put it in the fridge.  The dough is extremely difficult as it is to work with but having it not chilled overnight made it impossible.  I started losing patience and decided to scrap the Guandis until another day that way I could spend the day with her doing something enjoyable rather than aggravating. So we made about 200 Pizzelles instead!   8)
We made almond, vanilla, and lemon. DH (as it turns out) *loves* anise so I am going to make him a batch of those (I didn't make any yesterday because I detest anise flavoring).
So that what we have. The recipe for the Guandis, though, looks to be right because we fried up a piece of it just to taste it and it tasted right on!  ;D

CG

Re: Need a Recipe for Guandis (Italian Pastry) - Update
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 09:52:47 PM »
So....when's the next attempt?  ;D

G'sMom

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
So....when's the next attempt?  ;D

definitely after the holiday craziness! That was my last Saturday that was open until after the holidays :P

I'm thinking maybe mid to late January?   :D

CG

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 11:58:18 PM »
Me experimenting with things that involve very hot oil is probably not a good idea.

Ah well, not that it's ever stopped me before. >:D

I might try them on Sunday, have to get the sugar cookies frosted first.