News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 08:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SO - Rude for guest to dictate location - cat allergies  (Read 1642 times)

Bobby

SO - Rude for guest to dictate location - cat allergies
« on: November 16, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »
The other thread brought to mind a situation at our place. We have two cats in my house, and I have at least one friend who is very allergic to them. We hold a monthly gathering at our house to play boardgames, and I know in the past that my friend has had some difficulty with her allergies while at our house, and while she has taken medication to try to counteract it, it only helped so much. Even worse: she just found out that she is pregnant, so she may not be able to continue taking that medication (which wasn't helping that much anyway).

What can we do to help fight cat dander in our house? Our floors are ALL hardwood or tile. We don't even own a vacuum. We swiffer the floors regularly to pick up the cat hair and dust (part of the reason we went with hardwood was because it doesn't store dander and dust like carpet; I have severe allergies myself), and I wash the floors every few weeks. We also dust the shelves, bookcases, etc., weekly and before every gathering. The cats themselves avoid all people during the gatherings. Should we get a vacuum just to vacuum the two couches? If so, any recommendations on specific ones? Any other recommendations or suggestions? I don't want the presence of our cats to be bothersome to other people if at all possible...

kathrynne

Re: SO - Rude for guest to dictate location - cat allergies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 02:56:37 PM »
I won't comment on the upholstery or anything, but one thing I've learned is to do the cleaning the DAY BEFORE your gathering, so that any allergens the cleaning kicks up have a chance to settle.

I really don't have any other advice.

bah12

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 03:00:13 PM »
I don't have a lot of advice.  I vacuum my furniture, curtains, carpets, etc.  I keep the litter box in the laundry room away from my guests.  The cat, on her own, stays in my bedroom when we have guests.

I don't have allergies, but I've been told that cat dander gets in the walls, so it's difficult to just clean the house and expect that someone with sever allergies will be ok.  I do know people who go outside to get fresh air when their allergies start acting up.

I think that the only thing you can do for your friend is clean your house as well as you can before she is over....but, if she has a severe allergy, which it sounds like she does, then there may be little you can do for her....at least while she's pregnant and get take allergy medication.

dawbs

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »
As someone allergic to pets who still owns them, I'll second you defiantely don't stir things up the day of, vacuum/dust/whatever at least 24 hours before.

consider wiping down the pets often.  (allerpet wipes are what I'd recommend) so that the hair that is in place is less likely to be coated w/ cat saliva (most at allergic people aren't allergic to the hair, they're allergic to the saliva which is on the hair)

I've heard good things about the febreeze allergy spray.
And I hear VERY good things about the dyson vacuum, (although it's nt in my budget right now) but whatever you get, should be HEPA okayed

If it's possible to wash the cushion covers from the couch (in HOT water), do so a day or 2 before.  (otherwise, steam cleaning forces the release of allergens apparently)

Do you have HEPA type air filters?  I reccomend 'em. highly.