News:

• February 22, 2018, 03:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blood Drive  (Read 10578 times)

bestimw

• How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.
Blood Drive
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »
Today I gave blood.  I'm not tooting my own horn.  I'm tooting the collective horns of everyone who gave up part of their beautiful fall day to do something that is not really any fun.  The cookies and juice afterwards aren't that good either.

The doors opened at 8:00. I had an appointment at 8:15, and that's about what time I got there.  And I was number 14.  By the time I was leaving at 10:30 they were up to number 68. Yea, my town!

It made me feel warm and fuzzy to see how many people were coming out. 

StaciNadia

Re: Blood Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 12:15:21 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of people!  Usually there's just a few people in the blood donation building I go to.  Congrats to you and your town!

I like having apple juice to stay hydrated during donations.  How about you?

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:46:52 AM »
I like going in with my best friend and we race to see who can fill up their blood bag first.
We have some weird hobbies.

The only thing that makes me really sad is that I have extremely boring blood (A+)  I always wished that I could be some sort of fancy blood like AB-. :'(
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:11:55 AM »
I used to donate blood all the time but haven't been able to in recent years (I was pg or nursing for 4+ years!).  When I had DS1, I ended up needing a transfusion and it completely changed my perspective from "It's not a big deal" to do, to "It really does make a difference".

Anyway, on behalf of those who have needed blood, I say thank you, because it truely is the gift of life.

bestimw

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:44:17 PM »

Wow, that's a lot of people!

That was the main point of my post.  I was gratified to see so many people giving up part of their Saturday for that. And 68 was only by 10:30.  They were going to be there until 5!  That's why I was so proud.  My town isn't that big!

I like having apple juice to stay hydrated during donations.  How about you?

Yup, that's what I asked for too.  No ice please. 

I have extremely boring blood (A+) 

Me too.  But they don't turn us away, do they.  ;)

Anyway, on behalf of those who have needed blood, I say thank you

You are very welcome!

rashea

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 07:47:39 AM »
Good for you and good for your town. You never know where that blood will end up, and who it might save.

I wish I could give blood, but I have never passed an anemia test in my life.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 07:52:40 AM »
I like going in with my best friend and we race to see who can fill up their blood bag first.
We have some weird hobbies.

The only thing that makes me really sad is that I have extremely boring blood (A+)  I always wished that I could be some sort of fancy blood like AB-. :'(

There's nothing wrong with boring blood.  Your A+ can be given to anyone with A+ or AB+ blood, which is almost 40 percent of the population.  Fancy blood types like AB- can only go to other AB- or AB+, about 5 percent of the population.  I often wonder if I'm wasting their time with AB+, which can only go to other AB+ folks.  But I figure if nothing else, they can donate my blood for research and save the good blood for the people who need it.

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 02:24:50 PM »
A local church held a blood drive a couple of weeks ago and we ran over when our church let out.  I have been a regular doner, but my kids had never seen it done.  (Hubby cannot donate-  he even double checked again this time, still no) Kids learned a lot, and there was quite a waiting line!  The Bloodmobile people said they would keep drawing blood as long as people kept coming, even tho there was set time they had in the parking lot. 
I met a neighbor of a school friend of mine, and my son got to eat a cookie, even tho at age 11, he could not donate.  The staff was impressed with how attentive he was.  He knew about coagulants, and blood types.

Another A+ here...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

kajunchick

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 02:35:56 PM »
I'm a B+, don't know if that's rare or not! I have been giving pretty regularly for the last 5 or 6 years. Last year, my daughter's school had a blood drive. Any adult donating could opt to get a child's t-shirt instead of an adult one. Well, of course my daughter wanted a shirt! She went with me to donate, and when it was over, I asked her what she thought of it. She said, "I didn't know there would be a bag." (to collect the blood) I asked her what she thought happened, and she said, "I thought there was a bucket or something and the blood just came out!"  :o

That was a really good turnout for your town! :)
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

Red1979

• it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
[/quote]

I'm also A+ and it's my understanding that A blood types are excellent for platelet donations.  If you're up for it, you could always donate platelets.  Those are really important donations, that not everyone has the time or is able to do.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 02:54:38 PM »
I started donating blood in 1973, when my hematocrit was high enough.

I'm A-.

2 years ago, I was asked if I wanted to donate "double red". I did. But it was weird.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 02:56:40 PM »
Mr. Nutrax was hospitalized in September for a perforated ulcer. He received 12 units of blood over the course of a week. A+ blood. Without "boring" donors like you folks, he wouldn't be here today. Believe me,every donation counts!

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Telmereth

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 03:07:43 PM »
Congratulations to you and your town :)

Your so called "boring" blood will be in greater demand than the rarer types because more people require it.
I'm common as muck, too, O+    ;D

I haven't donated in a while due to low iron levels. I'm working on getting them up!

Laura, I'm curious, what does "double red" mean?

bestimw

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 08:28:45 PM »
Any adult donating could opt to get a child's t-shirt instead of an adult one.

There was a "prize" for donating at our drive.  For every donation the Red Cross was going to give a turkey to the local food bank. 

And I'm glad to hear that my "boring blood" can be well used.  I figured as much, but it's still good to hear how.

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 06:07:31 AM »

I'm also A+ and it's my understanding that A blood types are excellent for platelet donations.  If you're up for it, you could always donate platelets.  Those are really important donations, that not everyone has the time or is able to do.
[/quote]

I think I've done this... not too sure.  I always joke that the military let me in as a junk body to grab spare parts off of.  I'm set up in the sytems as a blood/platelet/marrow donor, and should anything happen to me, some lucky person gets all my organs!  If it were to happen within the next six months, however, they would get some tenderized kidneys.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/