News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 11:15:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blood Drive  (Read 11214 times)

Betsy

• Just a little crazy
Re: Blood Drive
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 06:28:36 AM »
Sometimes I think that I should donate blood, since I have A- which I hear is needed/in demand in the area. But I talked to my doctor about it and she was concerned that donating wouldn't be good for me... :/so I dont... I hate needles anyway :P

Mazdoy

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 07:15:02 AM »
Well done!  It's always a great feeling to donate blood.

I couldn't donate last time as I was waiting on test results and the time before that I fainted, which was very embarrassing!  I've given blood regularly over the last 6 years and that was the first time I fainted!

I have A+ blood too but can't donate platelets as they require you to be a minimum weight of 9 stone.

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 03:46:10 PM »
Erm... how much is 9 stone?
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Telmereth

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 04:59:01 PM »
126 pounds or 57 kilograms.

unicornbee

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
I've been giving blood since 16 (I know 17 is the cutoff, but I had blood drawn for my own surgery and didnt use all of it, only 3 of the 4 they took). The only reason I have not been allowed to give was my iron was too low.

My dad has given over 16 gallons in his lifetime

wazzer

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 01:07:55 PM »
The only thing that makes me really sad is that I have extremely boring blood (A+)  I always wished that I could be some sort of fancy blood like AB-. :'(

I'm also A+ and it's my understanding that A blood types are excellent for platelet donations.  If you're up for it, you could always donate platelets.  Those are really important donations, that not everyone has the time or is able to do.

I think I've done this... not too sure.  I always joke that the military let me in as a junk body to grab spare parts off of.  I'm set up in the sytems as a blood/platelet/marrow donor, and should anything happen to me, some lucky person gets all my organs!  If it were to happen within the next six months, however, they would get some tenderized kidneys.
[/quote]

My DH donates platelets all the time.  He says that the platelet donors get treated like royalty.  (Well, they get to watch a movie, and have a nurse at their beck and call, etc).  He also says that the recovery is easier than when you donate blood.  He's A+  .   That's not just his grade, it's his blood type!

jais

• Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »
Congratulations to you and your town :)

Your so called "boring" blood will be in greater demand than the rarer types because more people require it.
I'm common as muck, too, O+    ;D

I haven't donated in a while due to low iron levels. I'm working on getting them up!

Laura, I'm curious, what does "double red" mean?

I thought O+ was the universal donor type?  That's BF's blood type and they call and ask him to donate all the time.  He's actually on a schedule now and donates about once every 2 months. 

cicero

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 04:05:07 AM »
that's so nice. I wish i could donate blood but I can't (they don't want my blood :'( because i had chemo)...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

StarFaerie

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 05:10:19 AM »
I thought O+ was the universal donor type?  That's BF's blood type and they call and ask him to donate all the time.  He's actually on a schedule now and donates about once every 2 months. 

O- is the universal donor type. O+ is the most common blood type.

I refuse to give blood until they stop forcing me to make an appointment to do so (I will not make an appointment to give someone something) and they allow g*a*y people to donate.

bestimw

• How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »
I look at the appointment as more for my benefit than theirs.  It reminds me to go.  When you get there it makes absolutely no difference whether or not you had an appointment.  You're still going to be taken in the order you walked through the door.  Also, you don't  have to make an appointment.  You could just be a walk-in.

As for the restriction against g*a*ys, I understand and agree with the sentiment, but people need the blood,  so I can't say no. People that need the blood now can't wait for the Red Cross to get it's policy right.

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 09:20:34 PM »
my next door neighbor was telling me about when she had her 2nd DD. She lost all but about a pint of her own blood, and ending up getting a major transfusion, as well as an emergency hysterectomy. from what she and her DH have said, she didn't have any problems with their first DD.

my DH usually signs on for all the blood drives we have at work, but hasn't been able to this year. something about being on blood-thinners and narcotic painkillers, they just don't want his blood...

I generally don't go to the blood drives, but then, I know they rate me under "tattoos too new" so it would be a waste of time. somehow, I've managed to avoid every blood drive at school or work that way, since before the tattoos, I was under age

Sharnita

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »
I'm A+ and I've donated platelets.  In fact, my count is so good that I can give a double load.  It does require a couple of free hours but other than that is no trouble or inconvenience.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
I'm -O and CMV-negative. The Red Cross sends me postcards and starts calling if I don't donate every 8 weeks. All this, and it's too much for them to set up a permanent donation site less than 2 hours' bus ride away. :P

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 11:36:38 AM »
I'm -O and CMV-negative. The Red Cross sends me postcards and starts calling if I don't donate every 8 weeks. All this, and it's too much for them to set up a permanent donation site less than 2 hours' bus ride away. :P

Wow, thats a bit pushy :-\  What if you happen to like your blood in your body?  Some people don't like to donate, and I figure that is their right... wouldn't that count as harassment?
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 12:38:46 AM »
I suppose they figure it's no big since I donate regularly, but yes, it could be construed as rather pushy.