News:

• February 25, 2018, 09:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blood Drive  (Read 10601 times)

aka

Re: Blood Drive
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 01:15:41 AM »
I like going in with my best friend and we race to see who can fill up their blood bag first.
We have some weird hobbies.

The only thing that makes me really sad is that I have extremely boring blood (A+)  I always wished that I could be some sort of fancy blood like AB-. :'(

Have you considered donating platelets?  They love those of us with A+.  In fact, while donating platelets takes a much longer time, we are treated like royalty during our 1-2 hours there (Blankets, heating pads, TV or movies.. etc)

eclecticgrrl

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
Have you considered donating platelets?  They love those of us with A+.  In fact, while donating platelets takes a much longer time, we are treated like royalty during our 1-2 hours there (Blankets, heating pads, TV or movies.. etc)

The A+ CMV- donors should really, really consider platelet donation.  This is what is given during transplant surgeries and for chemo patients, etc.  I think that something like 20% of the adult population is CMV- (so a very small percentage of the adult population who donate blood) but they need that for babies and people with compromised immune systems, like those people undergoing chemo.  Platelet donation takes longer and since I have a hard time sitting still for 2 hours, it's a major pita for me, BUT... 

I know that there have been times that my platelets go straight to the lab and then straight to the hospital because there's someone waiting for me to donate so that they can have something needed done.  I know because sometimes the techs at the blood bank will tell me (one even showed me the emergency rush slip included with my paperwork!)  So you get to feel like you honestly did help someone that truly needed it.  That's a rush...

A double dose of red cells during a platelet donation means that in addition to the platelets, they will sift your blood for just red cells and take them also.  You don't get as many returned to you, but you also don't lose them at the rate you would giving whole blood.

AND this is the perfect time to think about it because the blood supply is going to be very low for a while after all the holidays.

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »
I gotta figure out if I am CMV-... as soon as I get done with this bun in the oven, I can get back to my blood races!  Can you do the platelet donation at the Red Cross, or does it have to be at a hospital?
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/

Betsy

• Just a little crazy
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »
What is CMV +/- and how do you determine if you are?

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2007, 06:42:11 PM »
Congratulations to you and your town :)

Your so called "boring" blood will be in greater demand than the rarer types because more people require it.
I'm common as muck, too, O+    ;D

I haven't donated in a while due to low iron levels. I'm working on getting them up!

Laura, I'm curious, what does "double red" mean?

eclectic grrl explained it well when she said that the blood is sifted and just the red cells are kept.

One pint of blood was processed at a time, the red cells were centrifuged out and everything else was put back into me. Then another pint of blood was processed the same way.
I got very cold...from the inside out and from head to toe. I was shivering alot, so the Red Cross nurse put a blanket on me. It really didn't help physically.

Shea

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 03:43:31 PM »
When we have blood drives at our university there are always lots of people. It gives me warm fuzzies too :).

I have O- blood, the "universal donor", so the Red Cross people always get very happy when I show up.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

MrsO

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 03:58:23 PM »
I can't give blood due to a recent transfusion  :( But good for you, and thanks to all you blood givers, if it wasn't for you I probably wouldn't be here.  :-*

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2007, 07:38:25 PM »

CMV is a virus that the vast majority of the population (I believe I read 92%) is a carrier of. It's actually part of the herpes family of viruses, but usually isn't dangerous and doesn't cause any symptoms. You're tested for it when you give blood, and if you're a non-carrier your blood can be transfused into cancer patients, pregnant women, and premature babies.

housewife2k

• I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2007, 07:46:11 PM »
To all of you who give blood, THANK YOU!
I am unable to give blood, as are many wonem in my family due to extreme anemia, rediculously low blood pressure, and a few other issues.
Every female in my family, that I know of, has needed at least on unit of blood at some point in time, so for all of us, THANK YOU!

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2007, 07:54:12 PM »

CMV is a virus that the vast majority of the population (I believe I read 92%) is a carrier of. It's actually part of the herpes family of viruses, but usually isn't dangerous and doesn't cause any symptoms. You're tested for it when you give blood, and if you're a non-carrier your blood can be transfused into cancer patients, pregnant women, and premature babies.

Poop, if chicken pox has anything to do with being positive, I am out of the running.  I'm going to ask my doctor next time I go in.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »

Poop, if chicken pox has anything to do with being positive, I am out of the running.  I'm going to ask my doctor next time I go in.

Don't be disappointed just yet; just because you have one virus in the family doesn't mean you have CMV. Also, your blood can still save the life of someone who isn't pregnant, premature, or a cancer patient. Please don't let that stop you!

eclecticgrrl

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »

I don't think it has anything to do with chicken pox because I've had chicken pox and I'm CMV-.  In point of fact, it wasn't something I knew anything about until I went to donate whole blood one day and the technician looked at my tabbit thing and said "OH.  You're CMV-!  Why don't you donate platelets?"  And I said "Wha?"

The internet says that it's a "complex flu-like double-stranded DNA virus that most adults are exposed to at some point in their lives which belongs to the herpes virus family."  Being CMV negative just means that you don't have any antibodies.

As far as how to donate platelets, I don't know if this is true everywhere, but here in Pittsburgh, you can go to the blood bank and donate.  Not the mobile clinics, because they're only set up to handle whole blood donations.  But you don't have to donate at a hospital either.  It's a little more complicated because they're returning portions of your blood so you have to be hooked up to a more complicated machine and it takes longer.  But, like I said, it makes me feel like I actually helped someone and did a good deed that had an immediate impact.  I don't get to feel like that very often.

Red1979

• it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »

I refuse to give blood until they stop forcing me to make an appointment to do so (I will not make an appointment to give someone something) and they allow g*a*y people to donate.

The latter comment is something I believe the federal government has put in place.  You are not allowed to accept donations from people who indicate homosexual activities on their forms.  It's not something a blood collection agency itself can change--it's a safety guideline they are required to follow.  They are also not allowed to accept donations from people who have lived in europe for over 3 months--there's a long list of "don'ts" and unfortuantely it can exclude many viable donors.     

There are many g*a*y people out there who need blood donations--you are not helping the g*a*y community by not donating. 

I'm also guessing that many places would like you to schedule an appointment so that you don't get bogged down by waiting a lengthy amount of time, should there be many others ahead of you.  Also note that not all blood centers require an appointment--i know that the one I work at will allow you to just walk in--although without an appointment you may have to wait your turn.

--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Red1979

• it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2007, 12:15:42 PM »
I'm -O and CMV-negative. The Red Cross sends me postcards and starts calling if I don't donate every 8 weeks. All this, and it's too much for them to set up a permanent donation site less than 2 hours' bus ride away. :P

FYI - THere are plenty of other places to donate that are NOT the red cross.  I work at a blood center that is not afiliated with the red cross in any way.  Not sure where you are but there may be other places for you to donate.

Also, those annoying calls and postcards are usually done by outside companies on behalf of the blood collection organizations.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

iambe

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2007, 12:27:25 PM »
I'm A+ and CMV-. I used to donate platelets all of the time. They called me once for an emergency. They had a preemie who needed surgery but didn't have any CMV- blood available. That was quite a day, and I felt great for being able to help. Unfortunately, I can't do it anymore because of anemia.

At one point, while I was still healthy enough to donate, I had a doctor who told me that she didn't want me to donate. She said she didn't want any of her patients to donate blood because it lowered the immune system. I just looked at her.   :o When I had my voice again I asked her exactly how they were supposed to get blood for surgery if no one donated? She is no longer my doctor.