News:

• February 20, 2018, 11:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blood Drive  (Read 10568 times)

Mazdoy

Re: Blood Drive
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2007, 04:29:30 AM »
FH is from Ireland and he said years ago they used to give out pints of Guinness to the donors! LOL

They still do!

Well, it's bottles of Guinness rather than pints but it's all the same.  I never take it because I'd be hammered after a couple of sips!  Instead I just take the iron tablets for a week.

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
FH is from Ireland and he said years ago they used to give out pints of Guinness to the donors! LOL

They still do!

Well, it's bottles of Guinness rather than pints but it's all the same.  I never take it because I'd be hammered after a couple of sips!  Instead I just take the iron tablets for a week.

So where is this magical land, and do they need me there?
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/

Mazdoy

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2007, 02:22:36 AM »

They still do!

So where is this magical land, and do they need me there?

Everywhere in Ireland, in all the mobile and static clinics and they always need donors so feel free to come over anytime :).  Next time I think I'll try a Guinness just to see how it affects me!

bluhairfreak

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2007, 02:44:49 AM »
I've been a semi-regular donor for the past 6 years.  I have to be careful to eat well before hand though, last time I nearly fainted.  And there was a period in 2005 when I was the only person in my family eligible to donate.  My brother couldn't because he needed transfusions during emergency surgery(hugs to donors) my sister-in-law couldn't because of too new tattoos.  My parent's couldn't because of travel and medical restrictions.  Brother and SIL are not eligible and donate regularly as well.

And is everyone else a member of the digital donor on giveblood.org?  It's a great way to keep track of when you can donate, and I also use it to track my cholesterol.

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2007, 06:46:23 AM »
Wow. Drink A pint of Guiness when you are down a pint of blood? That would be very interesting! I bet it's quite a buzz!

bestimw

• How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2007, 11:04:04 AM »
I tried to register at giveblood.org, but it's only for people who are registered with a Gulf Coast blood bank. 

Oh well.  The Philadelphia area blood bank always calls me when I can donate again, so I guess I already have a reminder system.  ;)

veraobsession

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2007, 07:34:48 AM »
Not only do I work in a hospital but my step-mother is a blood rep for the American Red Cross so I live in give blood/be an organ donor land! It really does make a difference.