Author Topic: Charger Plates  (Read 3934 times)

JENDUB

Charger Plates
« on: November 19, 2007, 08:50:11 AM »
My mom just purchased a set of charger plates to use for Thanksgiving dinner. She and I were discussing how I thought they were sort of silly since you remove them before the entree is served, so unless you were having several pre-entree courses, they were taken off the table almost immediately.

She said that she was going to leave them on the table throughout dinner because they were pretty!

Does etiquette dictate that they should be removed, or is it OK to leave them on the table?

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
Re: Charger Plates
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:53:05 AM »
I dont think theres anything wrong with leaving the charger on the table. My mother always did. I just did a quick search and all the places where I found "charger etiquette" says that some people remove them and some people leave them. And really, in the end, who cares? I doubt anyone is going to start pulling the "rude card"  because someone likes big pretty plates. :P
Wherever you go.... there you are.

G'sMom

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 11:56:17 AM »
The point of the chargers is supposed to be so there is no empty space in front of where someone is supposed to sit. After that you serve the soup and appetizers on it then remove it for the main course.

However, I often run into the problem you are having, because I don't typically serve soup or appetizers (at least while seated at the dining room table). It depends. Sometimes I remove them if I have many people at the table, that way it isn't so cluttered and tight with the chargers AND dinner plates. However if there are less people, I may leave them :)

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 11:59:27 AM »
It depends, I think, on how formal your service is going to be.  In formal dining the charger would be removed after the soup and appetizers, but a less formal meal may not have those, so the charger would remain.  There are all sorts of things one does in a less formal situation that would never be done in a formal one (place mats, paper napkins, etc.) so I think this would fall into the same category.

If this is a more informal family occasion, I don't think there is anything wrong with using something just because it looks good...it makes it "feel" more formal and can protect the tablecloth...both good things.

nliedel

• In my dreams, I'm a Goddess!
  • busy, as always
    • Goat Rodeo Fiber Fiesta
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 12:22:46 PM »
I've left them under my plates for the immediate family, because they look festive and the boys thought it would be neat. I don't feel any flames licking at my feet, but I would never do that if my step mom were here. She's quite precise, which always is a good lesson for all of my family. :)
Fiber artist, writer, belly dancer. Four boys and a husband of twenty years. I'm happy

kathrynne

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 06:02:17 PM »
I have a minor spinoff question to this, but don't really think it's worth a whole new thread.

When we got married, a cousin bought us ONE charger plate. It's beautiful, and I'm sure it cost a bundle, but I'd never even heard of the things before this showed up and am curious. What does one do with a single charger plate? Anyone know?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 06:07:26 PM »
Play frisbee?

Honestly don't know.  That seems like a very odd gift.

JordanX

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:26:05 PM »
What does one do with a single charger plate? Anyone know?

Is it pretty enough to use in a decorative fashion, like sitting on a coffee table or on shelves on a plate stand?  I have a plate similar to a charger that I keep my toiletries on in my bathroom.

It IS an odd gift.  Just as odd is the idea of an expensive charger, since you can get lovely ones in the $10 range.

Elle

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:36:36 PM »
I have a minor spinoff question to this, but don't really think it's worth a whole new thread.

When we got married, a cousin bought us ONE charger plate. It's beautiful, and I'm sure it cost a bundle, but I'd never even heard of the things before this showed up and am curious. What does one do with a single charger plate? Anyone know?

Centerpiece!
Put river rocks and votive candles in it

Stack christmas bulbs in it

Or those decorative balls Pier 1 sells

Arrange pillar candles on it.

Or use it as a displat for some cool napkin origami

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 11:50:50 PM »

Just use it as a serving plate for rolls, appetizers, or whatever.  In essence, it's just a bit, pretty plate, right?

G'sMom

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 07:51:16 AM »

Did she/he think it was a serving plate because they are larger? Perhaps?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 08:05:20 PM »

I often use charger plates as a base for the centerpiece or for holding a candle arrangement.

Paper Roses

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 08:28:02 PM »

Just use it as a serving plate for rolls, appetizers, or whatever.  In essence, it's just a bit, pretty plate, right?

Just be careful putting food on it - some chargers have paint (or something) on them that makes them dangerous to put food on.  (I learned this when I worked at Pier 1 - their chargers are specifically made not to eat off of - I know that sounds strange, given that they are supposed to sit right under the dinner plate, but it's true).  But the charger you have is one like that, it should say so on the bottom.  (I'm guessing it's a nice, high-quality one and not the Pier 1 type, and therefore not dangerous, but check to be sure).
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

kathrynne

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 06:57:14 PM »
Thank you all! My instincts were right, then. I think this is Mikasa, but I can't remember. It's a gorgeous light blue glass that's sort of wavy, with a gold rim. Given the side of the family this came from, I'm guessing it's real gold.

I've had it under various pretty vases and bowls on either the coffee table or diningroom table as the livingroom decor evolves, but I always thought it a bit odd--as if there's some bit of society where they have obscure etiquette rules about a single charger plate. This is the side of the family whose parents have mortgaged their home for EVERY daughter's wedding, whereas Mom's side rings the dinnerbell and lets the horses come running up for the ceremony.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 10:46:18 AM »
Why are they called charger plates?  When did they start using them?

My idea of a charger plate is the plastic tray at McDonald's.
 :-*