Author Topic: Green bean cassarole?  (Read 1960 times)

Trisha

• Super Hero!
Green bean cassarole?
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:45:36 PM »
I thought I'd make a green bean casserole, but I have no idea what goes in. I know green beans, and those fried onion things. I think cream of mushroom soup, but I'm not sure. If someone had a easy recipe I'd appreciate it.

Betsy

• Just a little crazy
Re: Green bean cassarole?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 04:57:23 PM »
I use the recipe off the back of the French's fried onion can, thats the one my family has used for years. Very easy. Ill post it below so you have it in case you can't find French's brand in your area. Ive included some notes in parentheses of what Ive discovered over the years :P

Green Bean Casserole:
Prep Time: 5 min, Cook Time: 35 min

Ingredients:
3/4 c milk (don't use skim its not as good)
1/8 tsp pepper
10 3/4 oz can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup (If you use a store brand use less milk b/c the store brands are runnier IME)
2 (14.5 ox) cans of cut cream beans, drained. (regular cut, not French cut)
1 1/3 c French's onions (separate into two 2/3 cup amounts)

Directions
In 1 1/2 qt casserole, mix all ingredients except 2/3 cup french fried onions. Bake 20 min at 350F or until hot; stir. Top with 2/3 cup onions. Bake 5 min or until onions are golden.

Serves 6. (Although if you let me near it, it serves 1 ;) )

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 04:59:49 PM »
That is a HUGE help thanks! I wouldn't have drained the beans. :)

skbenny

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 05:10:50 PM »
My recipe's way different - but we love it:

1 lb hamburger
1 large onion (I think the yellow is best for this) chopped in about 1/4 inch bits
2 cans french cut green beans (you can use regular cut)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 bag tator tots
1 cup grated cheese

Brown onions and hamburger together, until hamburger is no longer pink.

Add soup and green beans, do not drain green beans.  Allow mixture to come to a boil.  Pour in baking dish, I use a 9 x 13 cake pan.  Top with tator tots spread evenly.

Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes, sprinkle the cheese on top and bake another 10 minutes.  Let sit for about 10 minutes and serve.

Sometimes I substitute corn bread or mashed potatoes for the tator tots.

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:10:50 AM »
I have an even different one I thought I'd throw in:

1 lb fresh (cleaned) or frozen grean beans
8 ounces pancetta, sliced into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, diced
1 can cambell's cream of celery soup (campells does make a difference in this recipe)
1/2 cup milk
1 tbs butter

topping: crumbled ritz crackers, kraft parm cheese and french fried onions, mixed together

heat butter in sautee pan on med heat until foamy.  Add beans and sautee 2 mins.  Add pancetta, garlic, mushrooms and pepper to taste, sauteing until pancetta is no longer limp.  remove from heat, add soup and milk and mix thoughly.  put in casserole dish and heat at 350 for 20 mins.  top with ritz mix and return to oven for 5 mins.  enjoy!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 07:38:12 AM »
We made one for dinner yesterday using Alfredo sauce instead of mushroom soup, using those petite frozen green beans, instead of canned, and put shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top, and just a few of those fried onions stirred into it and on top...very few.  I wish I could report that it was fabulous, but I thought it was awful.  No one else seemed to think it was that bad, or at least were not admitting it.  I think next time (if I ever do it again) I would make my own Alfredo since I didn't care for the store bought, especially the texture, which was kind of gluey and make my own caramelized onions instead of the crisp fried ones. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Pixie

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 12:55:37 AM »
Our family uses this quick and easy recipe:

2 cans green beans-drained
4 slices of bacon browned and crumbled
4 slices American cheese, torn into chunks

put into microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave for 3 minutes, stir, cook for another 3 minutes, stir, cook for 3 or 4 more minutes and serve.

Its so easy and disappears quite fast.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:17:28 PM »
Our family uses this quick and easy recipe:

2 cans green beans-drained
4 slices of bacon browned and crumbled
4 slices American cheese, torn into chunks

put into microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave for 3 minutes, stir, cook for another 3 minutes, stir, cook for 3 or 4 more minutes and serve.

Its so easy and disappears quite fast.

I'm going to try thisone tonight. The cheese sounds good!