Author Topic: Carrots.....HELP!  (Read 3035 times)

rockingrandma

Carrots.....HELP!
« on: January 23, 2007, 04:34:58 PM »
Here's the deal.  DD is on WIC and since she is breastfeeding she gets carrots.  Well we now have 3 pounds of carrots sitting in the fridge untouched that are going to go bad soon if I don't do something with them.  If anybody has any ideas (other than carrot cake, nobody here likes that) I'll be very appreciative!

melodrama

Re: Carrots.....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:22:25 PM »
Carrots are great when they're boiled or steamed.  Cut them into thirds or quarters, lengthwise, and add them to a pot with enough water to just cover them.  Turn off the heat when they're still a little firm (but not rock hard) and drain the water.  Add a little butter and brown sugar or honey to glaze them (maybe a tablespoon of sugar, not too much) and they're very tasty.  You can also cook them in the juice of any roast you make--maybe with some potatoes, cabbage or celery?--and that will add flavor to them as well.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »
Here's the deal.  DD is on WIC and since she is breastfeeding she gets carrots.  Well we now have 3 pounds of carrots sitting in the fridge untouched that are going to go bad soon if I don't do something with them.  If anybody has any ideas (other than carrot cake, nobody here likes that) I'll be very appreciative!

Carrot juice! Mix with apple. Uses them up really quickly.

Carrot sticks with dips.

Carrot and coriander soup.

Carrots cooked how you like them with toasted sesame seeds.

Irish Clovers

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 06:41:23 PM »
They make great doggie snacks if you have a dog.   :)

I don't much care for cooked carrots but when I entertain, sometimes I par-boil them and then sautee them in butter and brown sugar.  Top with fresh chopped parsley.

willow2483

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »
Cut them up into little nickels and steam them with a little water (covered).  It will take about five minutes in the microwave.  Then you can flavor them with whatever you like (I like just a little salt!).

jamiescudder

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 10:23:28 PM »
My husband hates carrots and will only eat them one way.  Cut up the carrots and put them in a small saucepan.  Put a little beer on them and cook them. Add a tablespoon or so of butter and a little brown sugar.

If you need to hide them to get them eaten try putting cooked carrots in the blender and then adding them to broccoli cheese soup.  They change the color a little, making it look like you added more cheese than you did, but the flavor isn't strong enough to make a big difference in taste.  I've done it and everybody loved it.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 12:08:16 AM »
They freeze well after blanching.

orsuela

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 01:17:54 PM »
There is a pretty and creamy soup you can make with them, it goes great with grilled sandwiches.  It will also help you use up the milk from WIC too.

2 lbs cleaned carrots (if they are large, cutting them in coins will help them cook faster)
half of sm. diced onion
4 tablespoons of butter
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic pwdr
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1 1/2 quarts of milk  (Whole or 2% work better than skim)
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Just cover carrots and onion with water in pot.  Bring to a boil, cover and boil until very soft.  Add butter, salt, garlic, and lemon pepper.  Stir until butter is melted.  Place carrots and onions (reserve broth) in food processor/blender and process until smooth.  Return to broth and add milk.  Heat through and salt to taste.  Sprinkle sparingly with cheese.  Serve with garlic bread or grilled cheese.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:19:46 PM by orsuela »

Gigi

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 03:34:46 AM »
Carrot Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine (I prefer butter)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup cooked, mashed carrots
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shredded coconut (optional) or 3/4 cup well drained crushed pineapple (also optional)

Cream the butter and sugar together.  Mix in the eggs and carrots. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in coconut or pineapple.

Drop by spoonfuls about 2" apart on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Frost with Orange Butter Icing when cool.

Orange Butter Icing

2 1/2 tablespoons soft butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons orange zest (grated orange rind)

Mix all together until smooth.

Gigi

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 03:40:26 AM »
You can grate them on the coarsest side of the grater and mix together with crushed pineapple (drain off the juice), and raisins.  It's a nice salad.

Or coarse grate carrots and cook them in a saucepan with a little bit of orange juice, butter and brown sugar. They cook quickly this way. You can add slivered or sliced almonds, and replace the orange juice with Grand Marnier for a bit more zip.

beakiebean

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 02:50:11 PM »
If you shred them you can add them to spaghetti sauce or lasagna and they're yummy.

My aunt has a meatloaf recipe that calls for a cup shredded.

It's
1lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup sour cream
1 cup ritz or townhouse crackers crushed (I usually end up using a little more-basically you want to get the meatloaf consistency meatloafy)
Salt, Pepper, and garlic to taste

Put in loaf pan and cook about 1 hour at 350 or until done.

Very good and a little different than basic meatloaf. I usually serve it with carrots too-I cook however many carrots I plan on eating, drain off the water, add a little butter and brown sugar and serve. With a green salad and some bread it's a yummy, yummy meal.

Becca

alli_wan

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »
I've made a carrot/potato soup.

Peel carrots and cut into coins or chunks. (1/2 to 1 lb).

Cut 4-5 medium potatoes into 1 inch chunks.  (Scrub or peel.  They work either way.  I prefer Yukon Gold as they are flavorful and you can use less butter.)

Chop a medium onion and saute in soup pot in 1-2 Tblsp butter.  When onions turn golden (not fully browned) add a can or two of chicken broth (or dissolve the dehydrated bullion stuff in water.)

Add potatoes and carrots to broth and add enough water to cover.  Bring to boil and cover.  Boil 15-20 min until tender.

Allow soup to cool until handleable.  Puree in blender (or with immersion blender right in the pot).  Add a dash of skim milk (or other milk for richer taste) and stir to blend smooth.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  A dollop of sour cream makes a nice garnish.

(Recipe was adapted from a pea soup recipe I saw on 'Seasonings' on PBS.  The main differences for that recipe included shallots intead of onion (goes well with peas), omitting the carrots (as it was pea soup) and throwing a good quantity of frozen peas (I use four cups, I can't remember how much they used) in with the potatoes for the last 3-5 minutes of boiling.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream).

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »
Slice them, toss with olive oil and salt, put them in a large pan, and roast them in the oven until they're tender. YUMMY!
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 02:59:50 PM »

LOL!  :D I'm sitting here trying to figure out a way for you to use your leftover carrots and me to use my leftover ham.  There's got to be a way for both of us to benefit here! :D

Hmmmmm....Hamorrot (carrotam?) Salad?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 12:16:31 AM »

I also use them in pureed soups.   You can use a whole mix of veggies, including the ones getting wilted, they're nutricious, taste good, and reheat well. Mix and match veggies as needed, but things like potatoes, squash and carrots are good bases.  If you've got lots, cook, mash and freeze the carrots for later use.

Saute onions/celery/garlic/mushrooms/leeks/shallots

Add chicken stock, and a bayleaf.  Add potatoes/carrots/squash/asparagus/roasted red pepper/chick peas/sweet potatoes/pumpkin/lentils and cook until tender.

Puree with a hand blender or food processer, removing the bay leaf first.  You can sieve it if wanted, particularly if you've got stringy vegetables like asparagus in it, or you can eat it as is (lots of fibre).  Season as desired with salt/pepper/herbs/spices/fresh lemon juice and serve.

You can add a splash of cream or milk - I usually skip it as the flavour is more intense without.   You can also roast things like the onions/mushrooms/squash etc for a more intense flavour.

Good combos: 

Carrot, potato, onion and chickpeas, flavoured with a bit of garlic and ginger, cumin, coriander and black pepper and a splash of lime juice.

Pumpkin, onion and carrot, flavoured with cumin, a little bit of cinnamon, a little bit of cloves and lemon juice.

Asparagus and roasted red pepper with a bit of dill