News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 10:42:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Cookie Monster just came through my office...  (Read 9696 times)

LB

The Cookie Monster just came through my office...
« on: November 20, 2007, 04:11:23 PM »
At least that's what she called herself.  :-\  Except she was trying to give cookies away instead.

I walked out of my office and some woman (who I don't know - even more reason not to take a cookie from her) walks up to me and places a box of cookies directly beneath my nose. Pure torture.
She asked, "Cookie? Cookie from the Cookie Monster?"
I said "No, thank you." and started to walk away.
Behind me I hear this absolutely stunned voice, "Really?"  ???

TroubleInTO

Re: The Cookie Monster just came through my office...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:52:16 PM »
"Oh, well when you put it that way, a violent allergic reation to gluten sounds totally worth it!"

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:59:26 PM »
At least that's what she called herself.  :-\  Except she was trying to give cookies away instead.

I walked out of my office and some woman (who I don't know - even more reason not to take a cookie from her) walks up to me and places a box of cookies directly beneath my nose. Pure torture.

Huh?  That's weird.  I'd never accept things from people I don't know.  Not because of the stranger danger thing.. but... it's just too weird.

Was she selling them or giving them away?

eh.. no thank you. 
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

LB

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 08:28:53 PM »

Huh?  That's weird.  I'd never accept things from people I don't know.  Not because of the stranger danger thing.. but... it's just too weird.

Was she selling them or giving them away?

eh.. no thank you. 

She was giving them away. I believe she was a drug rep. They frequently bring us treats, but they usually bring something from a store or that is wrapped. Still, I didn't recognize her, so I wasn't taking any chances. Plus I'm on a diet and had a hard enough time passing up the doughnuts that someone brought in this morning!  :)

Laura

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 08:44:46 PM »
I love baking for people. Several times a year, I'll bring home-baked treats into work (cookies are my specialty), and instead of leaving them in the break room, I personally deliver them to offices. I love how something so simple can make people smile. Usually I only walk to the offices of my group, but sometimes I run into people I don't know and offer a treat to them as well. I'm never pushy, and I don't call myself the Cookie Monster. My only intention is to try to brighten someone's day.

I'm sure the Cookie Monster had only good intentions.

Shortcake

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
"Oh, well when you put it that way, a violent allergic reation to gluten sounds totally worth it!"

LOL!  ;D
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
I call myself the Cookie Fairy but I only give to those I know. I would be leery about accepting food from someone I don't know.

loopey2u

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »
I would be kind of leery of eating something from somebody I don't know too, but I'd bet this lady probably thought she was being nice by offering sweets to people.

Who doesn't love cookies?  Especially homemade ones.

I hear you on the diet though.  It's hard enough to try to pass on that stuff without people shoving it in your face just expecting you to eat it.

It cracks me up that she called herself the Cookie Monster.

I keep picturing some lady walking around in a Cookie Monster costume passing out cookies to all the people in the office.

LB

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 08:17:47 PM »
I'm with all of you, I understand that she was probably just trying to be nice. I just didn't understand her questioning a perfectly polite "No, thank you."
No big deal, just interesting is all.

TangoFoxtrot

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
HannahCat, we have the same nickname!  I am the Cookie Fairy on my campus.  I love to bake, but live alone and am trying to watch my weight, so 90% percent of what I bake gets delivered to offices on campus.  I understand that some people have allergies, don't like sweets, or are on diets--so I usually ask once and if they say no walk away quickly (to avoid over tempting those tryong hard to be "good", as well as not being annoying to those that are just busy.

CG

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »
CG stands for what some of the guys at work used to call me - "Cookie Goddess". Back during training, every single trainer seemed to know to come into our room on Friday because there would be cookies. Quite a few occasions after that as well.

Pixie

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
I am The Pixie Goddess of Fudge.

I can NOT bake cookies, but I can whip out a batch of fudge in 5 minutes! Chocolate, peanut butter or Butterscotch, your choice.

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
I am The Pixie Goddess of Fudge.

I can NOT bake cookies, but I can whip out a batch of fudge in 5 minutes! Chocolate, peanut butter or Butterscotch, your choice.

Pixie, I thought I was the only one alive who can't make cookies. It seems so simple, right? Nope... not for me. I don't burn them, I mix the ingredients when they're cold, bla bla bla... my cookies suck.  ???

But I make a mean apple pie!  :D
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/

Balletmom

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 09:58:05 PM »
If she's a drug rep, she's offering cookies as a way of furthering her business.

Put it that way, one doesn't feel so guilty or bad for saying NO, does one?

If I'm hungry and I can spare the calories, sure, I'll eat one. If not, no.