To be more precise: What phrases, when said to you, cause you to immediately become very upset?
Naturally, we can all agree that being called a vulgar name would cause immediate anger.
But what about other phrases? On another thread, a poster stated that being told "I'm disappointed in you" raises her hackles due to her childhood memory of being told so too frequently and indiscriminately by a parent.
So....what could someone say to you that would color your world red?
1. "Grow up"
2. "Get over it"
3. "Deal with it"
4. "Figure it out for yourself/You're the ---, you figure it out"
5. "That's your problem"
6. "So?/So what?"
7. "I don't know what to tell you/I don't have an answer for you" (from my parents)
9. "Whatever"/"Oooookay"/"I'm sorry you feel that way" (used dismissively)
10. "You'll get over it/him" (with a condescending smile)
11. "You're overreacting/oversensitive/being ridiculous/being stupid"
12. Anything of a "You need to lose weight/wear makeup etc. or wo/men won't be attracted to you" nature
13. Any kind of racial, religious, national, ethnic, sex, or sexual orientation-based slur
14. Profanities (IMO raunch does nothing to add realism, sophistication or maturity to conversations)
15. Threats of physical violence
16. "It's G-d's will" (How do you know? Are you G-d?)
17. "Duh/no duh" (this is so juvenile)
There are others, but those ones do it immediately.
Some of those I hate, too.1. "Grow up"
--I AM grown, I just haven't matured, yet.2. "Get over it"
--This is what I'm told when I get annoyed over my aunt telling me how to live my life.8. "Smile!"
-- My paternal grandmother always used to tell me this when I was around her. When I have a reason to smile (ex. when I around my TKD instructor), then I WILL smile, but until then GET OFF MY BACK!9. "Whatever"/"Oooookay"/"I'm sorry you feel that way" (used dismissively)
--Usually said to me when I complain about being treated like a toddler.11. "You're overreacting/oversensitive/being ridiculous/being stupid"
--I have every right to be upset when you tell me I'm some fat, ugly slob & nobody in their right mind is ever going to want to date me. Or even be NEAR me!12. Anything of a "You need to lose weight/wear makeup etc. or wo/men won't be attracted to you" nature
-- Yes, because OBVIOUSLY, only skinny, little, blonde anorexic bimbos have boyfriends. The rest of us 'ugly' females (brunettes & redheads) are DOOMED to a life of loneliness.
Also: being told I don't know anything because I'm: female, young, young-looking, in college.
'Nice little girls don't do/say/whatever things like that'
Girls don't do whatever period.