News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "You can go ahead of me."  (Read 3281 times)

NEDESAPIO

"You can go ahead of me."
« on: November 28, 2007, 01:51:35 PM »
I was out shopping for a couple of hours this morning and went into three different stores.  In each of the stores I bought only one item.  In two of the stores, people with a cart full of items saw me standing behind them with my one item, and kindly told me to go ahead of them in line.  Of course, I thanked them profusely.

I was really touched by this, because many times in the past I've had only one thing in my hand yet have had to wait behind clueless women with 100 dollars worth of stuff, who saw me but didn't offer to let me go ahead.

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
Re: "You can go ahead of me."
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:00:25 PM »
I feel you. I have Encountered rude people before, so Whenever I have a lot of groceries, If someone is behind me with only 1 or 2 things, I let them go ahead. I had to practically force a woman with a hand held basket with about 5 things in it in one hand, and a baby in the other to go ahead of me once. She looked surprised and said it's okay.  I insisted because I would tell she was just being polite and when she finally went she was very greatful. It's a good feeling. I don't know why people cannot extend a hand to people more often.

Mammavan

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »
The night before Thanksgiving I ran into Michael's for one item, less than $2.  Got to the register (only one open), and there was a couple there.  They had two separate orders, one their own and one the office decorations the woman was buying.  When they checked out their items, one needed to be replaced, so we stood there and waited while the woman went and got another.  The second half of the order consisted of an entire shopping cart filled with garlands and a large basked filled to overflowing with individual ornaments/decorations.  You know, the kind that have a little crimpled paper sticker that has to be smoothed out before it can be scanned?  I looked at them and smiled expectantly, with my $2 in my hand.  Nope, they began piling the second load onto the counter.  The cashier looked at me and the others who were beginning to line up behind me and called for someone to open another register.   We waited a few minutes and she called again.  Finally, the manager came by, saw what was happening and opened another register.  I checked out and stopped by to thank the cashier.  After all that time, she still had three-quarters of the first basket to go through.

behindbj

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:00:24 PM »
I feel you. I have Encountered rude people before, so Whenever I have a lot of groceries, If someone is behind me with only 1 or 2 things, I let them go ahead. I had to practically force a woman with a hand held basket with about 5 things in it in one hand, and a baby in the other to go ahead of me once. She looked surprised and said it's okay.  I insisted because I would tell she was just being polite and when she finally went she was very greatful. It's a good feeling. I don't know why people cannot extend a hand to people more often.

For the record, the fact that someone does not let you in front of them, no matter how many items they have versus the number you have, is not rude.  They were there first.

It's just that it's extra nice to let someone in front of them.

behindbj

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 07:44:34 PM »
I feel for you as well. On more than one occasion, on my lunch, I've had people ring out huge orders in front of me (I'd never expect to be put ahead, it's just nice when it happens). On the other hand, I've had people with 1 item tell me to go ahead of them even though I say it's okay, I can wait, and then they will practically demand, saying they aren't in that big of a hurry, and that they know I am on lunch.  People like that are really special. I also reciprocate, if someone behind me has fewer items than I do, I let them go ahead of me. What comes around, goes around.

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:32:58 AM »

For the record, the fact that someone does not let you in front of them, no matter how many items they have versus the number you have, is not rude.  They were there first.

behindbj
You're right, I didn't mean to say those people were rude. I was really tired that day when I wrote that and I wasn't paying attention. I am packed and ready for my place in EHell!

behindbj

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:04:49 AM »

behindbj
You're right, I didn't mean to say those people were rude. I was really tired that day when I wrote that and I wasn't paying attention. I am packed and ready for my place in EHell!

Sorry - looking back on that comment now it looks like I was being curt.  I actually wasn't - I was just pointing out that sometimes on this board folks refer to other people as being "rude" when they weren't.  They just weren't extra nice or considerate.

Pool Boy awaits our arrival.

behindbj

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:16:38 AM »
LOL...I have the Tequla and lime. Grab that salt shaker and we're good to go!  ;D

roselange

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 06:55:31 PM »
One thing to consider if someone doesn't let you go ahead of them is that those folks who don't let you in front of them may have already done this once or more -- for the person(s) who would have been in front of you and behind them originally...

Traveler

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 06:30:22 AM »
One thing to consider if someone doesn't let you go ahead of them is that those folks who don't let you in front of them may have already done this once or more -- for the person(s) who would have been in front of you and behind them originally...

SUCH an excellent point, thank you, this has been going through my head. Two weeks ago I went to the local Large Grocery Store. I had about 30 items, maybe (not a full cart, but definitely a cart!).   One by one, people came up behind me with only 1 item!  I let 3 people go ahead of me.  Each of them came up too late to see that I'd let someone else ahead.... so had no idea my kindness was wearing thin.... And the next person who came up only had 2 items. Again, they had no idea I'd let other people ahead.  And they did not get to go in front of me.... and I still feel bad!  Since I don't speak the local language, I was unable to justify myself to them.

THANK YOU for looking at the other side of the story! :-)