Author Topic: Pushy Student  (Read 6487 times)

Peaches737

Pushy Student
« on: November 28, 2007, 06:48:18 PM »
In my field, we often supervise students for internships.  Myself, and my two collegues each have students from different schools, who are taking approximately the same class.

S1 asked S2 if she could read her paper on a proposal.  S2 said "sure" all about helping out another intern.  S1 asked if she could make a copy, and S2 said "I'm afraid that won't be possible, but you can read it over."  S1 said that she couldn't possibly read it today, and she really needed a copy.  S2's instructor, (my collegue who is normally a pushover, but I'm proud of her for this) said, "S2 is really uncomfortable with giving out copies of her paper, it has taken two weeks for her to write it, and she is not done.  She would happily let you read it over today or next week."

Plagerism alarm bells going off.  S1 then approached S2 again and asked for a copy...  AGAIN!  She politely said no again, and came to me.  She is now concerned that S1 made a secret copy.

My first thought is to approach S1's supervisor.  Not being accusatory, but maybe asking him to talk to S1's prof, and forward a copy of S2's paper to the school.  That way if it is innocent, no harm no foul.  If it isn't, the school has proof of plagerism.

Thoughts?

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
Re: Pushy Student
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »
S1's pushiness is raising flags. If you can do something to protect S2 without making harmful accusations (or interesting assumptions  ;)), I would.

Is it possible that S1 is clueless rather than devious? Maybe her supervisor needs to explain professional courtesy, and how/why making such a request is considered a faux pas in your field.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Peaches737

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »
That's what I am thinking.  S2 has been working on my unit since Sept, and met S1 just today.S1's direct supervisor believes that Denial is a river in Egypt.  I will approach him first thing tomorrow, and ask that he review her grant proposal before she submits.  I have a copy of S2's paper, and if anything is fishy, I want S1 out of my field.

I am hoping that S1 is clueless, but I dont get the clueless vibe from her.  She went behind people's backs after S1 had asked her twice and been denied by S2, didn't take no for an answer when S2's supervisor told her no, etc.

I feel like I want to give her the rope to hang herself if she really is being devious, but not accuse her of anything if she is not.  I figure if we ask her prof what her proposal was at the end of semester, and it is different, no big deal.  However, if we find that it is the same proposal, she has violated ethical code, and University code.

Peaches737

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »
Oh yeah, didn't hit on the professional courtesy.  S1 is working on her masters degree in this field, while S2 is working on her Bachelors. 

I would expect that S1 would have a better grasp of professional courtesy, since she has had two years more experience in the field than S2.  If not, that raises a red flag, as well.

redcat

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:38:57 AM »
The paper's a grant proposal, right?  That S2 hasn't yet submitted?

But S1 is still on her Bachelor's, and S2 on her Master's?  Would it be common for a Bachelor's student to be making her own grant proposals in your field?  I would have expected that in a Master's student at the earliest, so I wouldn't have expected S1 to have any cause to plagerise.  Unless she needs to do it as a exercise?  Or plans to do a Master's and is thinking ahead?  Or is it just the way things are done in your field/country?

spats

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »
But S1 is still on her Bachelor's, and S2 on her Master's?

I believe the situation is switched. Peaches said, S2 was on her Bachelors and naughty S1 was a Masters student.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »
I feel like I want to give her the rope to hang herself if she really is being devious, but not accuse her of anything if she is not.  I figure if we ask her prof what her proposal was at the end of semester, and it is different, no big deal.  However, if we find that it is the same proposal, she has violated ethical code, and University code.

If it may damage your chances with your grant, then I would absolutely expose it. 

If it's just simple plagarism, I'd have a tougher time butting in without actual proof and only suspicion. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Peaches737

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »
Thankfully, the subject got dropped.  S1 and S2 have been working on different units.  Both bachelors and Masters level do a "mock" grant proposal for their field placements, because it is such a need in our field.  Bachelors level is not quite as involved, and it is an elective class.  Many students take the class as a good way to gain advanced standing for an MSW, and as preparation for their eventual thesis or dissertation.

livluvlaf

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
I'm glad the grant didn't get copied ... even if it was a mock assignment. My guess would be S1 really liked what she read, if she didn't use it immediately she was contemplating it for future use. Not very ethical if she didn't do the work, and wasn't planning to share the credit or spoils with the person who did.

In highschool a classmate "borrowed" my binder during class time to copy something he had missed during the lecture. When it was returned, the page I was working on was missing ..... I pestered him about where it went, but he tried to ignore me. The teacher overheard the scene, confronted him in front of the class ... he caved and pulled several dozen pages out of his shirt. I was stunned he had the nerve to rip pages out of my book, while sitting next to me. 

Some people count upon the obvious being overlooked.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:59:57 PM »
I think this whole thing sounds fishy, and you should talk with the instructor.

"Professor, I was there when you talked with S1 and S2 about borrowing a paper. S2 approached me and is worried S1 has made a copy without her permission. S2 is not trying to cause trouble, but does worry it will effect her grade if something should happen with the copy. I wanted to let you know this might be a possibility. S2 came to me in confidence, and I have not said anything to S1. I just wanted to make you aware."

Katia144

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 07:05:12 PM »
That IS weird.  I mean, I could understand if maybe she was nervous about reading it right there (sort of nerve-wracking to read someone else's work right in front of them, perhaps, if you're afraid they'll be expecting you to say how you like it and you're not sure you will) but if she was that pushy about it...I wouldn't be surprised if she had something up her sleeve.