Author Topic: The most beautifully behaved child ever  (Read 4207 times)

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
Re: The most beautifully behaved child ever
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »
Quite a while back, I was grocery shopping and a small boy with blond curls and the brightest blue eyes, maybe 3 or so, was mildly distracted by something and bumped into me gently, he was not running, just looking at things walking next to him mom.  He stopped smiled and said "Excuse me very much please." and then...he bowed at the waist, with the one arm across his waist and one behind him.

I smiled and said "You are excused very much, and you are very polite!" he beamed and went along his way.

It made me smile for the rest of the day!

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 06:27:26 PM »
Quite a while back, I was grocery shopping and a small boy with blond curls and the brightest blue eyes, maybe 3 or so, was mildly distracted by something and bumped into me gently, he was not running, just looking at things walking next to him mom.  He stopped smiled and said "Excuse me very much please." and then...he bowed at the waist, with the one arm across his waist and one behind him.

I smiled and said "You are excused very much, and you are very polite!" he beamed and went along his way.

It made me smile for the rest of the day!

It's making me smile - what a sweet child!

I love this thread - it's so nice to hear about all the good children that are out there, reminding us that there are still many children being raised with manners.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 08:18:08 PM »
I'm happy to say that I've seen beautifully behaved children in my neighborhood.  There are two little boys in my building who, when they were about three, always tried to hold the door open when their mothers came through with a baby in a stroller.  At that time they needed help because they were little and the door is heavy.  They're a few years older now and, when they're on their way to school and I'm on my way to work they always open the door with a pleasant, "Good Morning Ma'am".  Of course, they're always thanked and the greetings are returned.

I started to see the turn when Mr. Thipu and I were having lunch in a sushi restaurant.  It was a quiet place and there were only a few tables being used.      One of the tables was occupied by an adult couple, their son and a friend of their child.  The boys who were about 7 or 8 years-old had just come from a soccer match they'd won.  10 years ago kids like these would have been rampaging all over the place and demonstrating their great kicks in the restaurant.

These children did not.  There was some laughter from the table as plays were recounted but the laughter was subdued.  The boys seemed perfectly content to eat their food and talk in a polite way with the adults.  I may also say that the boys were perfectly comfortable eating sushi with chop-sticks.           

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 11:39:05 PM »
I have to add another one after tonight.

Chip and I tried out a relatively new restaurant. I'd describe it as an upscale family restaurant great selection on the menu from burgers to pasta to roast turkey (which Chip ordered and adored you can't find a good turkey dinner just anywhere, he says). Lots of older people, families, teens, young adults and children.

A couple sat at a table next to our booth. They had a little girl. I can't begin to guess her age, but she was old enough to have teeth and to use a sippy cup and eat "real" food. She couldn't converse as yet, except for laughing and some quiet happy sounds. She was also cute as a bug.

That little adorable thing sat in her high chair patiently playing with a spoon until her mommy and daddy were served. Then she sat quietly eating food that her parents put on her plate. No matter what it was, the child tried it. She didn't eat all of it, but what she didn't want she left on the plate. She didn't throw it, scream, kick the table, try to climb out of the chair, etc. She picked up her sippy cup with both hands, drank, and put it down quietly. Then she would turn around to grin at me or at Chip.

She did commit one faux pas she wanted to wipe her mouth, and not seeing a napkin nearby, she leaned over and wiped her mouth on the tablecloth. Her mother was horrified and said, "No, we don't use the tablecloth as a napkin, honey!" and handed the child a napkin, which she used. (I had to turn my head away so the child wouldn't see me laughing at that one.)

Cutie was also extremely interested in our dessert. Chip and I split an apple crisp with ice cream and the child was fascinated by it. Chip said, "Next she'll tell the waiter, 'I would like one of those, please.'"

As we left, I complimented the parents on their adorable child and the child's good manners. The parents beamed, and the mother said, "And thank you for keeping her entertained! She enjoyed being around you."

I can't remember the last time I saw such a young child with such good restaurant manners. Maybe never.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.