Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

I caved

(1/3) > >>

Mr. Fed:
It's easier to tell other people to do this stuff than it is to actually do it yourself.

I'm completely overcommitted.  But the current moderator of my deacon group asked me to be the next moderator.  I used my favorite dodge -- "I'm really busy, but please try to find someone else and come back to me if you can't find anyone."  That usually works.  Not this time.  Moderator tried everyone else.  Said she prayed about it.  That's dirty pool.

So I caved.

My natural inclination is to handle this by getting myself impeached, possibly by setting a 30-second comment limit at the meetings (committee + church + majority of people retired = somewhat longer meetings).  Then it occurred to me that employing stratagems to induce fellow deacons to kick me off by offending them was probably sub-optimal, etiquette and Christianity-wise.

I'll sleep less.

Sabbyfrog2:
How long are these meetings and how often?
Maybe you and another person in the group can share the responsibility? You do one meeting, they do another. That way while you are stillinvolved, you are not the SOLE person responsible. It might help...

wheeitsme:

--- Quote from: Mr. Fed on November 29, 2007, 03:48:33 PM ---It's easier to tell other people to do this stuff than it is to actually do it yourself.

I'm completely overcommitted.  But the current moderator of my deacon group asked me to be the next moderator.  I used my favorite dodge -- "I'm really busy, but please try to find someone else and come back to me if you can't find anyone."  That usually works.  Not this time.  Moderator tried everyone else.  Said she prayed about it.  That's dirty pool.

So I caved.

My natural inclination is to handle this by getting myself impeached, possibly by setting a 30-second comment limit at the meetings (committee + church + majority of people retired = somewhat longer meetings).  Then it occurred to me that employing stratagems to induce fellow deacons to kick me off by offending them was probably sub-optimal, etiquette and Christianity-wise.

I'll sleep less.

--- End quote ---

Oh please don't say you're Presbyterian...

Just a question, though.  How much of the overcommitment is due to the church?  My parent's church used to take advantage of my Dad.  I still remember the time he got a phone call and he had to drop everything and drive over there to put away a ladder.  That someone at the church noticed was out.  Because for some reason the person at the church  didn't feel empowered enough to.

Trisha:
I don't think a time limit on talking is unreasonable. If you think that will help, make a new rule that you only get 3 minutes when you're making a point. It will help keep talk to a minimum and will help provide some structure. It might be rough going at first, but after a few meetings it will hopefully become easier.

Mr. Fed:

--- Quote from: wheeitsme on November 29, 2007, 04:12:40 PM ---

Oh please don't say you're Presbyterian...
--- End quote ---

Exactly.

The worst possible type of committee.

The attitude appears to be "Jesus loves me.  Specifically, He loves to hear me talk."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version