News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 08:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First weekend guest at our new house...  (Read 1881 times)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
First weekend guest at our new house...
« on: November 29, 2007, 04:09:37 PM »
We moved in June and haven't had any overnight guests over yet.  A few months ago my brother who lives in CA went to NM for work.  After the meeting he had, a woman came over to him and re-introduced herself.  It was my best friend from grade school through most of high school.  We lost touch after high school.  We're not from NM so it was even more incredible that he ran into her.  Plus, she's working in a field that she didn't go to school for or that we would've expected her to be in.  She's more artsy, bro is more finance-y. 

Anyway, so she and I started emailing & talking after that.  Come to find out that her BF's parents live in Atlanta too!  So she's coming for a visit this weekend and staying with me.  She gets here tomorrow and I still don't know where to take her or what to do!  DH and I turned into old fuddy-duddies and we really don't go out to bars anymore.  Especially since we moved and our favorite Irish pub in Buckhead was forced to move and they won't re-open until January.  They're having a parade on Saturday so it'll be difficult to do something like the museum during the day.  And I don't like the aquarium - way too crowded and the crowds just don't flow well.  Argh!  I didn't even do any special shopping because I figure we'll be going out.  I have wine stocked and clean new sheets on her bed...  The house has been cleaned from top to bottom.  But that's about it right now.

I know I should stress.  I know she's not going to judge me, but still.  Plus I just feel chubby and who has fun entertaining when they're feeling more chubby than normal?  Just tell me to calm down and it'll be ok.... 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Summrs

Re: First weekend guest at our new house...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »
You'll be fine.  She's an old pal, it'll be just like picking up where you left off. 

I don't know much about the Atlanta area... what about historic homes or battlefields?  If she's only there for the weekend and visiting her boyfriend's family, too.. she might not want to do much but eat good food, drink good wine and catch up with her old friend.  I wouldn't worry about it :)

Edited because I'm an idiot and mixed up brother with boyfriend.  Good thing I live 3000 miles away from my brother, huh?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 02:27:58 AM by Summrs »

CG

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:44:57 PM »
The best times I've spent in other people's homes have been when they didn't stress about what to do. That leaves us open to randomly decide "Hey!!! Bowling!!!" or that "y'know, a bit of that wine in the stash would go nicely with a chick flick in the den...I'll grab the blankets and nail polish, you keep the popcorn from burning?"

I wouldn't worry about it, but would ask her if there's anything that she really wants to do and what her plans are. I'm assuming she will be hanging out with BF's family for at least part of the time.

I would, however, make sure there is some kind of food in the house for each meal - you never know what you might decide to do. Mom's habit of keeping chicken enchiladas or lasagna in the freezer can definitely come in handy (I have chili in mine) and very few guests just absolutely hate it when there's scrambled eggs or even frozen waffles for breakfast. No special shopping, just things that you would eat normally.

Xena_Xavier

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:42:10 AM »
"Just tell me to calm down and it'll be ok...."

Calm down, it'll be OK!  The people above me have given you the same advice I would have, but one thing you said struck me:

"Plus I just feel chubby and who has fun entertaining when they're feeling more chubby than normal?"

I was in the same boat as you several years ago, when I was living in the UK and a friend was flying in from overseas.  I'd offered her my sofa as crash space.  I'd gained a few pounds since we last met, and I was worried about my appearance.  But it didn't bother her one bit (it wouldn't bother a true friend, would it?), she was just glad we had some time to catch up and she had a groundbase for a few days.

Speaking of that visit, one afternoon we took a walk in a nearby park that had a very old church at one end.  After she got home, my friend told me our afternoon wandering around the park was the high point of her visit, that it even beat visiting the British Museum and watching the Changing of the Guard.  So you might like to find someplace picturesque that's not on the usual tourguide maps, that she'll enjoy seeing.