Author Topic: I'm afraid that won't be possible, and just plain NO aren't working. LONG  (Read 12409 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: I'm afraid that won't be possible, and just plain NO aren't working. LONG
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »
Would you mind doing it if you were paid?  Maybe you could say "Leader, I don't mind helping you out once in a while, but if this is going to be a regular babysitting job I charge $50/day" (that is less than $2 per hour).

clairesmom77

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
Good for the OP.  On top of the mother's entitled attitude, why would she want to leave her child overnight on a regular basis with someone she barely knows?  That's strange, IMO.

Also, I know the OP has already taken care of the problem, but there are real financial considerations to babysitting in one's home. 

One is taxes.  The mother (if paying the sitter) may want to claim her child care expenses on her taxes. This means that she will report the sitter's SSN to the IRS, which will make the sitter have to declare her earnings and pay self-employment tax, which can be close to 50%.

The other is insurance.  If babysitting in one's home, be sure to check your homeowner's policy.  Babysitting could be considered a business by some homeowner's policies, and so if the sitter got sued by a parent, the policy may not pay.  Additional insurance could be needed. 

It's really not as simple as the mom dropping the kid off and tolerating watching someone else's kid.

Gina

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 10:32:29 AM »
What's really surprised me is that Girlscoutleader is willing to leave her child with practically a complete stranger overnight. She's known you a month, for crying out loud! I don't think i'd let my kids play unsupervised at a strangers house, let alone sleep overnight. (no offense, OP, i'm sure you're perfectly responsible and capable of looking after her daughter  :P . What I mean is SHE doesn't know that you are.)

25wishes

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 02:40:22 PM »
Would you mind doing it if you were paid?  Maybe you could say "Leader, I don't mind helping you out once in a while, but if this is going to be a regular babysitting job I charge $50/day" (that is less than $2 per hour).
I agree with this approach, but would say, my regular rate is $10. hour. Guarantee you wouldn't get the job...

makasha21

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »
What continually blows my mind is how people would rather avoid any direct unpleasantness that will be over immediataly, preferring instead to suffer others' appalling behaviour for days, weeks, months, heck - even YEARS - just so they can feel like they're being the better person. Better according to whose standards, is what I ask?

Heh, you're funny.  The person you describe above would be called a martyr, which I am not and have no intention on becoming.

The feeling of being the better person never even crossed my mind, and the idea of preferring to suffer rather than say no to other peoples demands is rediculous.

Heh, this exchange reminds me of that Dolly Parton movie, "Straight Talk," where Dolly gets a job as a radio shrink, only the radio station mistook her "doctor" status. She tells one caller to "get down off the cross, honey, somebody needs the wood!"  Love that line!  >:D

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 11:03:09 PM »
I've always wondered why those who ask these things are so surprised when you say no.

I was asked by a mom at karate if I could pick up her child from school and take her to karate.  Ummmm, no.  She was genuinely surprised and had a litany of reasons why she couldn't take the girl herself.

Now I would have considered it if I even knew them apart from the karate lobby.  I always thought it was odd to ask an almost complete stranger to take your kid somewhere.

andrea007

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »
"She then tried to get me to watch her from 6 a.m. till 3 p.m. every other Sunday, and to tell my hubby that he'd only have to watch her till 3 if I had to work that day.  I told her I'd talk it over with hubby."

Uh Oh. That wasn't NO. You got her hopes up again. Now you have to start all over again.

Just say: "For the last time Mrs Brownie Queen, I WILL NOT babysit your daughter over the weekend, any time. WEEKENDS ARE MY FAMILY TIME. Please do not raise this issue again."

If she continues to bug you, you may have to cut bait. Because it will mean she has a mental/emotional disorder.
And would you ever want her to be responsible for your daughter on a  field trip?
For all the work you are doing you could start your own Brownie troop.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:38:38 AM by andrea007 »