Author Topic: Books for 9 year olds  (Read 8982 times)

extranormal

Re: Books for 9 year olds
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 02:02:24 PM »
Harriet the Spy.

And anything by Daniel Pinkwater.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »
Animal fiction...   "Redwall," (series) "Stuart Little" "Guradians of Ga'Hoole" (series), "Dr. Doolittle" (series)

"The Borrowers" (any of the series.)  "The Magic Treehouse" (series -- my sons loved these when they were about 8-9.)  Anything by Edward Eager ("Half Magic")

I remember "Half Magic"!!!  Great idea!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »
Ok, I have a problem with this thread now.  Now I'm going to have to go to the library and check out each and every book mentioned here to (re)read MYSELF!  I'm not going to have to time to sleep for days! :D

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 02:41:25 PM »
Find a bookstore that specializes in children's books.  If you were in SoCal, I'd send you straight to Children's Book World.  The people who work at independent stores like this tend to be very good and can make some great recommendations.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 03:07:44 PM »
The Secret Garden
Little Women/Little Men/Jo's Boys
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
A Wrinkle in Time
The Little Princess

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 03:11:41 PM »
Dottyg wrote:

"I know this is a weird thought.  But, I guess I'm visualizing this girl in her 20s or 30s thinking back and saying, "You know, when I was 9 years old, some stranger gave me a book that changed my life.  It made me who I am today.""

Well, if that's what you're going for, try "A Clockwork Orange".

Kidding, folks, kidding!

I'll second the Little House series.  And of course, some of the classics aren't bad.  "The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster was a big one for me.  Shel Silverstein is also a good choice (although I'd avoid "Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book" if I were you).

Virg

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 03:32:21 PM »
My I suggest maybe a mixture of old and new?

We all know that people like different types of books..........

at5115

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 03:41:53 PM »
If you want something more contemporary and Librarian vetted - ALA (American Library Association) publishes several lists of recommended books for children ranked by age, grade, reading level, awards, etc... etc...  via their group, Association for Library Service to Children:

http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/alscresources/summerreading/recsummerreading/recommendedreading.htm

You can also find lots of info for young adults (maybe too old for your 9 year old) through YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association):

http://www.ala.org/ala/yalsa/booklistsawards/booklistsbook.cfm

MA

Ondine

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 04:10:44 PM »
The Babysitters Club Series
I know we read 'Where the Red Fern Grows' in fourth grade, but I'm not sure if that would work. It's a good book though.
Goosebumps Series

Telmereth

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 04:30:51 PM »
The books I was given as a child really did change my world at that age  ;D

I loved:
What Katy Did
Anne of Green Gables
Little Women
The Chalet School series (these are very very old fashioned, but I adored them)
The Saddle Club books
The Babysitter's Club books
Goosebumps

If you want something new, too, I highly recommend the Series of Unfortunate Events books. They are beautifully presented and pitched at the right level for a 9 year old with good reading ability. I would have been over the moon to have them at that age because they're hard back and absolutely gorgeous!

alexerin

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 07:48:19 PM »
Oooh, I've got to delurk for this one ...  I'd recommend anything by Beverly Cleary or Judy Blume (the kid-friendly stuff, of course!).  There is also a new series with a girl who discovers she is actually a mermaid. The first book is The Tail of Emily Windsnap.  Just as an aside, my daughter is 7 and in second grade and she and most of her friends have already outgrown Junie B and are on their way out of Magic Treehouse.  A 9 year old (especially if she is an avid reader) may find those books too young for them.  They are moving in Judy Moody and Amber Brown series which are at a little higher reading level.

Slinking back into lurking ... 

:) Lisa

wazzer

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 07:51:45 PM »
Understood Betsy, by Dorothy Canfield Fisher.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 07:56:36 PM »
The Secret Garden
Little Women/Little Men/Jo's Boys
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
A Wrinkle in Time
The Little Princess

Oh, YES!

I am about the least girly girl i know and The Little Princess gets me every time. I loooove that story.

I think it was at about 9 that i first read The Hobbit.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 07:58:31 PM »

Oh!
Bonnie of the Wolves
There is another book that goes with that one and i can never remember the name of; i have yet to read it. That, along with The Wind in the Willows were kids books i read as an adult that would probably be age appropriate.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

LissaR1

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 08:58:45 PM »
Ballet Shoes!  (They've made it into a BBC movie, too, with Emma Watson.  SO want to see it.)

We gave my niece The Princess Academy for her birthday- she loved it.  :)   (Sorry I don't remember the author!)