Author Topic: Books for 9 year olds  (Read 9341 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Books for 9 year olds
« on: November 30, 2007, 12:18:03 PM »
I got an Angel from our Angel Tree this year who's 9 years old.  It's a girl, and she wants books.  I need help with some ideas on what to get, as it's been a couple of years since I was 9. ;)

I'd really like to get some classics rather than "pop" stuff now.  What would be good?  Probably every girl needs some "Nancy Drew", right?  Would this be age-appropriate for a 9 year old?

What else fits that age group that "every little girl needs in her library"?

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
Re: Books for 9 year olds
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
What about The Little House on the Prarie series?  Any of Shel Silverstein's books.  Black Beauty.  Little Women.  Island of the Blue Dolphins.  My Side of the Mountain.  Trumpet of the Swan.  Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing or Are you there God?  It's me Margaret by Judy Blume.

Happy hunting :)

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:41:44 PM »
DD is 11.  Two years ago, the Junie B. Jones books were HUGE with her and her friends.  Also, Judy Moody was pretty popular.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 12:51:02 PM »
definately little women! is narnia for that age group? I don't remember.

my 10 YO niece is devouring the little house the prarie series.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 12:52:59 PM »
Definitely Nancy Drew. Some good suggestions already, but I might also recommend:

Anne of Green Gables
Heidi
The Little Princess
The Secret Garden
The Wizard of Oz (but I'm sure you've already thought of that one! :) )
A Wrinkle in Time
Any of the Trixie Belden series
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
Any of the Marguerite Henry books (I loved the Misty books)
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure more will come to me later.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »
Ok, how in the world did someone who LOVES the "Little House on the Prairie" tv series, grew up watching them and still watches it every chance she gets NOT think of those books first?!  (DottyG's head hits the wall several times here! :D)

Thanks for these suggestions, y'all.  These are all wonderful!!!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:55:12 PM »
The Wizard of Oz (but I'm sure you've already thought of that one! :) )

But, of course! :D  That's ALWAYS on my gift list.  It's also my favorite Baby Shower gift as well!

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
I hate to say this, but DD doesn't like the Little House books.  She has one friend who likes them, but they seem to have lost some popularity. 

It crushed me! They were some of my favorites as a girl.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 12:56:30 PM »
and another thought: when i was that age (more or less) i really enjoyed reading "hero/heroine" books. you know - like the books about hellen keller, and florence nightingale. I think that it is so important to expose kids these days to true heroes and heroines.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
and another thought: when i was that age (more or less) i really enjoyed reading "hero/heroine" books. you know - like the books about hellen keller, and florence nightingale. I think that it is so important to expose kids these days to true heroes and heroines.

Ooooo!  Good thinking!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »
I know this is a weird thought.  But, I guess I'm visualizing this girl in her 20s or 30s thinking back and saying, "You know, when I was 9 years old, some stranger gave me a book that changed my life.  It made me who I am today."

I know that's strange!  :D  But, wouldn't it be totally cool if it could happen.....?!

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »
I know this is a weird thought.  But, I guess I'm visualizing this girl in her 20s or 30s thinking back and saying, "You know, when I was 9 years old, some stranger gave me a book that changed my life.  It made me who I am today."

I know that's strange!  :D  But, wouldn't it be totally cool if it could happen.....?!

Absolutely! I still have my favorite books from childhood. They're all still very special to me and I can remember what it was like to read them when I pick them up again. :)

Oh! I thought of a few more.

The Jungle Book
Lassie
Pippi Longstocking
Swiss Family Robinson
Mary Poppins
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Pollyanna
Dr. Dolittle

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 01:22:49 PM »
I got an Angel from our Angel Tree this year who's 9 years old.  It's a girl, and she wants books.  I need help with some ideas on what to get, as it's been a couple of years since I was 9. ;)

I'd really like to get some classics rather than "pop" stuff now.  What would be good?  Probably every girl needs some "Nancy Drew", right?  Would this be age-appropriate for a 9 year old?

What else fits that age group that "every little girl needs in her library"?

I got our 9 year old GGD a book on building fairy houses.  She loves fairies and so I think she'll love this book.  Did the angel tree indicate any interests of the child?
I'm with you on the classics.  I think the Little House books are a good safe choice. (whereas a book on fairies may be considered metaphysical or something).
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 01:37:42 PM »
Terry Pratchett kid's books if she can read pretty well (also great for Mom/Dad to read aloud at bedtime)-

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith

If she ends up liking them, she will be able to start reading his adult books at about 12/13- and there are 35+ of those to enjoy!
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »
Animal fiction...   "Redwall," (series) "Stuart Little" "Guradians of Ga'Hoole" (series), "Dr. Doolittle" (series)

"The Borrowers" (any of the series.)  "The Magic Treehouse" (series -- my sons loved these when they were about 8-9.)  Anything by Edward Eager ("Half Magic")
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain