Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

Forum Rules - Updated 06/04/2012

<< < (2/4) > >>

GlindaBunny:
I have a question about ownership.  Let's say a person posts a link to a couple chapters for a book she is just starting to write in order to get a little feedback.

If a person responds and pastes a couple paragraphs in order to show what he or she would suggest changing, does E-hell now own those paragraphs?

Ehelldame:

--- Quote from: GlindaBunny on November 07, 2008, 07:18:04 PM ---I have a question about ownership.  Let's say a person posts a link to a couple chapters for a book she is just starting to write in order to get a little feedback.

If a person responds and pastes a couple paragraphs in order to show what he or she would suggest changing, does E-hell now own those paragraphs?

--- End quote ---

No. 

bionelly:

--- Quote from: Ticia on January 13, 2008, 11:55:10 AM ---Freaky, the rule on linking is specifically meant to keep trouble and forum wars away from our forum. Posting a link to another forum (or thinly disguising which forum you're talking about but everyone knows what you mean) and then bashing or talking badly about those members of the other forum, or their views, language, etc.

This has led, in the past, to those forums coming here looking for a fight.

So, posting a link to your portfolio is not a problem. Posting a link to a writing forum and saying "These guys don't know squat about etiquette. This girl wrote about inviting people to her own birthday party and charging people for it!" would not be allowed. We have many members who read and post at various forums and I can almost guarantee that the other forum will find out about it.

Being an etiquette forum, it's pretty important that we not gossip or badmouth other forums, in my personal opinion.

--- End quote ---

Okay, so I've been wanting to put in an avatar which promotes an organization I'm a part of, which has a forum associated with it.  It is not political or religious in nature, although neither subject is taboo within that forum.  They have been known to engage in, well, heated discussions with people in other forums (in fact, it's kind of part of their mission statement that they should do so in certain situations), but only on a very narrow topic which I've never seen discussed here and would be extremely surprised if it ever was.  Would it be okay for me to have such an avatar, or should I keep my membership there completely separate from my membership here?

Ehelldame:

--- Quote from: bionelly on November 23, 2008, 10:20:17 PM ---
Okay, so I've been wanting to put in an avatar which promotes an organization I'm a part of, which has a forum associated with it.  It is not political or religious in nature, although neither subject is taboo within that forum.  They have been known to engage in, well, heated discussions with people in other forums (in fact, it's kind of part of their mission statement that they should do so in certain situations), but only on a very narrow topic which I've never seen discussed here and would be extremely surprised if it ever was.  Would it be okay for me to have such an avatar, or should I keep my membership there completely separate from my membership here?

--- End quote ---

I've been thinking more about this recently ever since joining a forum for large forum owners.  Every one of the really good forums prohibit their members from soliticiting or promoting of any kind.  The reasoning is simple, logical and based on history.  People who have the ability to promote a product, web site, other forum, organizations, etc. tend to eventually abuse it by making crap posts merely to get the promotion seen.  And while there are those who would not abuse it, enough people do to make moderation a nightmare.  So, signatures which include a link promoting a web site, product for sale, organizations, etc. will no longer be permitted.

Scritzy:
Does that also mean blogs (and dragon links) can no longer be part of one's sig as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version