Author Topic: So, What's The $20 For???  (Read 3502 times)

ZipTheWonder

So, What's The $20 For???
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:17:09 PM »
I just got an invite for my husband and I for a Valentine's Day party at the home of a newish acquaintance.  The invitation says to "Bring twenty dollars, in two $10 bills."

Any ideas what this might be all about???  Admission?  A game??  Bail???

We can't attend so I can't find out that way,and I don't think it would be right to say "TWENTY BUCKS!?!?  Whatever for!?!?" when I RSVP my regrets.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
Re: So, What's The $20 For???
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:26:40 PM »
I just got an invite for my husband and I for a Valentine's Day party at the home of a newish acquaintance.  The invitation says to "Bring twenty dollars, in two $10 bills."

Any ideas what this might be all about???  Admission?  A game??  Bail???

We can't attend so I can't find out that way,and I don't think it would be right to say "TWENTY BUCKS!?!?  Whatever for!?!?" when I RSVP my regrets.

do try and find out for us will you.  This sounds like a whole lot of gift grab to me
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 05:40:10 PM »
I'd call the host and ask if he's okay since you seem to have received a ransom note from his address.  ;D
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 05:51:20 PM »
It would be intresting to know why the $20. And requested in the form of 2 $10s.

If it is not for his ransom, then what????

I wonder if it is not for some game. It could be for a poker buy in.

It is for admission, food, or a game it would be best to let people know. It it rude to invite people to a party and charge them for it.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:59:41 PM »
There is a game called b*lls**t that we used to play that involved using bills as "cards" but i don't remember exactly how it was played. I think it was with more bills in hand than two, but maybe with a lot of people 2 would do it? I don't know ... that still seems like a weird idea for a Valentine's Day party.

Please let us know when you find out. My imagination isn't going to rest until then.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Ulla dances in a silly way

• Super Secret Level 5 Ninja Wizard
  • Only a little off.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »
I've never play bullsh*t with money before. The way I've always played it is you deal the whole deck to the players, then go around putting your cards face down in a pile saying "2 Jacks," or whatever it may be. You can lie and say your putting down something you are not, but if someone calls bullsh*it and catches you, you take the pile into your hand, if you weren't lying, they get the pile. First to discard all cards wins. I've also heard this called the "kid-friendly" name, "peanut butter."

I agree that it might be for a party. It's strange no matter what it's for. Asking people to pay is always off.

-Ulla

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:56:32 AM »
I've never play bullsh*t with money before. The way I've always played it is you deal the whole deck to the players, then go around putting your cards face down in a pile saying "2 Jacks," or whatever it may be. You can lie and say your putting down something you are not, but if someone calls bullsh*it and catches you, you take the pile into your hand, if you weren't lying, they get the pile. First to discard all cards wins. I've also heard this called the "kid-friendly" name, "peanut butter."

I agree that it might be for a party. It's strange no matter what it's for. Asking people to pay is always off.

-Ulla

You know, i do remember playing that. I guess the money game was something different. I wish i could remember the name of it.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
I seem to remember a game played with a 10 dollar bill.  The serial number represented a hand of cards in some way.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
I seem to remember a game played with a 10 dollar bill.  The serial number represented a hand of cards in some way.

Preachin' to the choir here, I know.  But, if it's for a game, wouldn't the best way for the invitation to have read have been, "We're playing a great game that you'll really enjoy!  We're asking everyone to bring 2 $10 bills to participate.  Don't worry - you get to keep your money!" or something like that?  Something that lets the guest know a little bit about why he/she might be getting hit up for some money?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »

When I was in Korea, we played that game with 1000 won bills, which is about $1.00 US, give or take.  It was completely random in that the serial numbers on the bills represented your "hand".  IIRC, the person with the highest number gets the pot. 

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »
Hmmm.....so maybe this is it???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liars_poker

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »
Hmmm.....so maybe this is it???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liars_poker

THat is what we played in Korea - I forgot about using the s/n's as bids for poker.

I find it odd that they would request 2-$10 bills.  Why not tell guests to bring dollars and why they are being requested to do so?  I think it's horribly presumptuous to demand money is brought to a party without the reason why. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 06:58:09 PM »

Preachin' to the choir here, I know.  But, if it's for a game, wouldn't the best way for the invitation to have read have been, "We're playing a great game that you'll really enjoy!  We're asking everyone to bring 2 $10 bills to participate.  Don't worry - you get to keep your money!" or something like that?  Something that lets the guest know a little bit about why he/she might be getting hit up for some money?

That would definitely make a lot more sense.

Liar's Poker sounds similar to the game i used to play; it was so long ago i really can't remeber if that was it, it may have been. Even so, like Dottie said, they could have given some clue.
~Gaslight Anthem