Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Suggestions for "how to" cookbook

(1/6) > >>

cskirpan:
Hi everyone! 

One of my New Year's resolutions was to become a really good cook and baker.  Now that our surprise baby is 3 weeks old, and I've got my house back into some semblance of order, I'm trying to find a good cookbook to teach me.

I've tried looking on Amazon, but it was a bit too confusing.  I don't really want to start off with the Escoffier (sp?) cookbook to start.  Nor do I want to waste money on something that teaches kids to cook. 

Do any of you have any suggestions for cookbooks?  Preferably ones that give explicit step by step directions.  Pictures are good too!

Thanks,

Cathy

lolane:
I love my Good Housekeeping cookbook. It was passed down to me when I started college and I still refer back to it today. I like it because it has common sense info, substitution and storage info, and almost all of the ingrideints can be commonly foun din your local supermarket (no St. Jorge's cheese, etc.) I also like that there are pictures of every recipe so you know what it's supposed to look like.

My second favorite cookbook is Julia Child's "The Way to Cook," it's a little more advanced, and some of the recipes call for more obscure ingridients but overall it's very user friendly and she includes a lot of pictures of what your prep work is supposed to look like so if she uses a term you don't understand you can look at the picture and figure it out.

hobish:

Great question! I'll defnitely be checking on this one to see the answers - that is exactly the kind of cookbook i need, too.

...and ... Wow!!! Nice to 'see' you again!!!

dietcokeofevil:
The Good Housekeeping one is a great basic cookbook.  There's also a "How to Boil Water" cookbook based on the Food Network show.  I haven't looked through it, but it would probably be worth a look.

Wordgeek:
Welcome back!  And congrats on the new arrival.

I've seen "How to Boil Water" and it's very, very basic.  It's aimed at college students who have never been inside a kitchen before, and give step-by-step instructions on how to, say, make ramen.

I really like the Fannie Farmer cookbooks.  There's a general cookbook, as well as one specifically for baking.  Both have clear instructions and explanations.  They're by Marion Cunningham, and imaginatively titled the Fannie Farmer Cookbook and the Fannie Farmer Baking Book, respectively. 

Your library might have copies of some of these.  It's worth looking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version