Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Cooking from scratch in a microwave

(1/7) > >>

Venus193:
Is this even possible?  Are there books on this subject and would they be useful to a military person?  So many of them have only microwaves and no normal kitchens.

Rei-chan:

I've done baked potatos in a microwave, but not much else....hmmm, I'll have to look into it!   :)

Venus193:
I can't imagine it's possible to make gravy from meat prepared in a microwave, but there must be other things.

Of course, I have no idea whether anyone in the military gets their hands on fresh food in some of these places.

sparksals:

--- Quote from: Willow1979 on January 27, 2007, 08:53:56 PM ---
I've done baked potatos in a microwave, but not much else....hmmm, I'll have to look into it!   :)

--- End quote ---

Did you know you can do baked potatoes in a crockpot?  Rub a bit of oil on them, throw in the crockpot with a bit of water on the bottom, not much, set to low, and 4-5 hours later... awesome baked potatoes!

sparksals:
There are now microwaves that double as convection and speed ovens.  They're expensive, though, and I don't think would be on a military person's wish list.

I use a microwave for heating, re-heating and thawing things.  I prefer to use it to heat soups, canned food/veggies, but don't use it for normal cooking. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version