Author Topic: Cooking from scratch in a microwave  (Read 4673 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Cooking from scratch in a microwave
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »
Oh, yes.  It's perfectly possible to cook from scratch in a microwave.  Swiss Steak and meatloaf come out just fine and the microwave is a wonderful way to cook fish.  There are any number of microwave cookbooks out there with plenty of recipes for meals.

HogwartsAlum

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 05:43:51 PM »

Try looking in used book stores or better yet, one of the online used book services like alibris.com.

Oh yeah, used are good.  I've found TONS of microwave cookbooks in the flea market.  Some of the recipes rival anything I could cook from scratch (although Julia Child I aint)!  Just check to be sure they aren't too old, as microwaves have changed from when they first came out.

Pixie

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 03:16:24 PM »
Sure, there are cookbooks out there, and cooking in a microwave is a snap.   BUT.... if it were me.... I'd also see if I could invest in an electric skillet and/or a croc kpot.    A crock pot is wonderful because you can set it to cook while you're studying or doing laundry.   IF you have set hours and KNOW when you'll be home, you can even have your dinner cooking while you're at work!

Hubby only lived in the dorms when he was TDY or on remote, but he had a crock pot and an electric skillet in addition to the microwave and was able to cook for himself just fine. 

Best of luck, and happy cooking!

pixiesilk

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 05:39:58 PM »
My students made Apple Crisp in microwave today! It turned out very well.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 02:09:48 PM »
My mother often used a Linton (?) Microwave cookbook.  I still have fond dreams of that meatloaf, or the spiced gravy.

Summrs

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 05:20:15 AM »
I do scrambled eggs in the microwave all the time.  I love my scrambled eggs with onion/chive cream cheese in them, so beating the eggs, throwing in the cheese, then nuking at 30 second intervals and stirring between until they're the right looseness for you is all it takes. 

A few weeks ago I found a microwave cake recipe online and had to try it.  It was ok.  It would work in a pinch with frosting, as it was a little pale.  But overall, the consistency was just ok, a little dense.

When I got my first microwave, it came with a cookbook and I always did stuff like enchiladas in it... there are even nested microwave bowls that allow you to make three courses at once.  Nothing beats an oven roasted bird with crispy browned potatoes, though!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 05:48:57 AM »

It's also surprising what you can do in a reasonably sized toaster oven (this year I baked three kinds of Christmas cookies in one). We have one that has a timer, a thermostat, and the ability to choose between upper/lower and both burners.  It sits on top of the microwave to save space.

You can make toasted sandwiches (and just plain toast), cheese melts, baked chicken breasts, fish and steak, very small casseroles, cookies, banana bread, some types of pie, garlic bread, roasted garlic and roasted red pepper etc.

I also love my rice cooker.

fklwmn

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 07:15:14 AM »

It's also surprising what you can do in a reasonably sized toaster oven (this year I baked three kinds of Christmas cookies in one). We have one that has a timer, a thermostat, and the ability to choose between upper/lower and both burners.  It sits on top of the microwave to save space.

You can make toasted sandwiches (and just plain toast), cheese melts, baked chicken breasts, fish and steak, very small casseroles, cookies, banana bread, some types of pie, garlic bread, roasted garlic and roasted red pepper etc.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who loves her toaster oven! Mine even has 2 racks for cooking. I use it almost exclusively - and that's just b/c I don't have a stoneware pan that will fit in it, wso I have to heat up the big oven when I want to use that.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 11:26:51 AM »
I cook a Cornish game hen in the microwave--8-10 minutes and it comes out nice and juicy.  Of course, the skin is not brown, but since I don't eat the skin, I don't care.  Don't think the bare-looking hens would work for entertaining, though

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 11:42:50 AM »
A thought: In the military, do hot plates get used for cooking?

Are there meals that can be practically prepared that way?
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 01:58:39 PM »
I suspect that some deployed personnel have hotplates, but we can only know that if they say so.  Every group you encounter on AnySoldier is different.

Large Navy groups actually get hot meals regularly, but ground troops, per the other thread, have to eat MREs most of the time.  Some have microwaves, but no other heating equipment.

One Navy woman actually just sent me a postcard requesting packages of yellow rice, so I guess she has access to something resembling a range-top stove.

fklwmn

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
I suspect that some deployed personnel have hotplates, but we can only know that if they say so.  Every group you encounter on AnySoldier is different.

Large Navy groups actually get hot meals regularly, but ground troops, per the other thread, have to eat MREs most of the time.  Some have microwaves, but no other heating equipment.

One Navy woman actually just sent me a postcard requesting packages of yellow rice, so I guess she has access to something resembling a range-top stove.

I'm sure the circumstances are different for each troop. The Marine told me that when he was deployed in Iraq they had a mess hall. He also said they had more call-home phone cards than they could use too b/c they didn't have regular access to phones.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 04:07:42 PM »
The more I know about this the happier I am to be a civilian.

I got two thank-you e-mails today.   The packages in question contained hygiene stuff for a group of 8 women and the other had DVDs (Hercules and Highlander) and soap for a mixed group of 20.

pryncsskittyn

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »
Microwave cooking is very possible for the deployed.  I actually had a request for (of all things) Ramen noodles.  The guys cook them quickly and easily in the coffee pot!
I have an old cook book from my dad that's all microwave cooking, but I've never cooked anything from it.  I suppose of I didn't have an oven I'd find it very useful.  My Dad got it when he was a bachelor living on base in the air force (yep, it's that old).

My BIL just hit US ground Monday and will be returning to my sisters arms next week.  He left January 10th 2006 for Iraq... it's been a long hard year.  I'll have to bring up the food question when I see him next week.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »
My BIL just hit US ground Monday and will be returning to my sisters arms next week.  He left January 10th 2006 for Iraq... it's been a long hard year.  I'll have to bring up the food question when I see him next week.

Would you please ask him about care package stuff for our other mlitary thread?  Not to mention that if other guys in his group aren't getting enough support someone should sign onto AnySoldier.com.  Thanks.