News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2017, 11:52:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Save the Date Cards  (Read 1293 times)

jimithing

Save the Date Cards
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »
Even though I just finished my cookie exchange, I am already thinking about next year's!  One of the suggestions on the cookie exchange website I am a member of, suggested doing STD cards in September or so, since people tend to get booked during the holidays.

Do you think this is a good idea?  Would you think it was weird to get one for a cookie exchange?  I sent my invitations out about 4 1/2 weeks prior to the date, but there were still some people who couldn't come because they already had plans.

bopper

Re: Save the Date Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »
As a person who has a mostly annual holiday party, I have noticed there are some events that other people have that are also recurring.  Like the church has the concert the day of our party, or another friend always has their party the same weekend.  But sending an early invite would help for some people.  I don't think I would do it earlier than November.

Summrs

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »
I wouldn't do Save the Dates (sorry, I hate the abbreviation, lol), either.

I think those should be saved for events for which people need to have time to plan for travel and finances... like a wedding... not just so people can be snagged before anyone else thinks to send an invitation. 

An invitation sent maybe a couple of weeks prior to when you usually send them is plenty.

jimithing

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:18:07 AM »
I wouldn't do Save the Dates (sorry, I hate the abbreviation, lol), either.

I think those should be saved for events for which people need to have time to plan for travel and finances... like a wedding... not just so people can be snagged before anyone else thinks to send an invitation. 

An invitation sent maybe a couple of weeks prior to when you usually send them is plenty.

Good point.  I talked to my coworker, who was invited, but got the flu that night, and she said she wouldn't think it was weird, but she doesn't love the idea.  I don't think I'll do it.  I was really on the fence before, but after reading these posts and talking to my coworker, I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks!