Author Topic: Bridal luncheon - the second question  (Read 2628 times)

StaciNadia

Bridal luncheon - the second question
« on: January 28, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »
I have questions about a bridesmaids/bridal luncheon, but since they regard two different categories, I'll ask them separately.

I found out a few months ago that my maid of honor is not lactose intolerant like she thought, but she has a dairy allergy.  She can eat sharp cheddar cheese and parmesian cheese, and that's the extent of dairy for her.  She doesn't want me to worry about her eating at the wedding, but of course I'm going to!  When I plan the menu, our caterer will help make sure she can eat, though she probably won't have the wedding cake, as that's covered in buttercream.

I'm planning a bridal luncheon as well, and I want to make sure she can eat there as well!  Does anyone have any good dairy-free ideas for food?  I was originally planning a big dinner, but considering we're planning a lot of events for a few days, it would be better to have lighter faire.  I'm also planning a charm cake, so I'm definately looking for a tasty cake without dairy, frosted, if possible.  Please share your ideas!

MsEva

Re: Bridal luncheon - the second question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:35:52 PM »
You can always serve a salad and pasta with sauce for a meal. There are also many dairy substitutes on the market - Sour Supreme (sour cream), Nayonaise (mayonaise). As far as a cake goes, you can make a frosting using margerine instead of butter, and soy milk for frosting. Check at a local health food store for more ideas. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are also very good markets. Any food called vegan will fit the bill.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:04:39 PM »
Here's an icing recipe with no diary:

BAKERY ICING

1-1/2 c shortening
2 lbs confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons marshmallow creme
1 tsp vanilla (cake decorators and bakeries use clear to make the icing really white.
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring

Mix together separately:
about 1/2 cup water
about 1 teaspoon salt.

Cream the shortening and flavorings together.  Then add the sugar, a little at a time, until the mixture begins to look like coarse crumbs.   Then add salt water a little at a time until the mixture begins to get smooth and becomes the consistency of icing. 

Cake decorators generally like their icing on the stiff side, but it is a matter of personal taste.  Add the salt water until it is the consistency you want. 

After you ice the cake, and it sits for a couple of hours, it should have that "micro-thin" crust you’re looking for. 

As a personal side note, I usually add more liquid vanilla flavoring and butter flavoring to my icing, because I want the taste, not the terrible sweetness of some icings.  Almond extract can also be used in place of the vanilla, if you want to try something a little different.  If you do use almond, I'd use less than the vanilla, because it tends to be a stronger flavoring.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:05:26 PM »
Another one:

FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING

1 ½ cups sugar
2 egg whites
1/3 cup water
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla

In a heavy saucepan or double boiler, combine sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar.  With a portable mixer, beat mixture on low speed for 1 minute.  Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches 160 degrees, about 8-10 minutes.  Pour into a large mixing bowl; add vanilla.  Beat on high speed until frosting forms soft peaks, about 7 minutes.  Yield:  about 5 cups. 

Gigi

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:29:07 AM »
How about something like a salad bar with lots of toppings so each guest can build her own?  Chinese Chicken salad?  Caesar salad with chicken or shrimp or salmon? 

Crab cakes or Salmon croquettes?

Tea sandwiches or wraps?  Use a variety of meats and breads and have the cheese on the side.

Fresh fruit.  Edible Arrangements makes beautiful displays that look like flower centerpieces.

Crepes?  They are making a culinary comeback and can be made with lots of fillings that don't require dairy.

I'm sure I'll think of more overnight.

fklwmn

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 10:56:37 AM »
Are you sure the frosting would be an issue for her? You might want to double check. My son is allergic to dairy and can have *some* cheese and *some* ice cream now, but he had to grow into that.  For many years he could have virtually NO dairy at all, but buttercream frosting was never a problem for him. I'd check with your friend before making such a big change.

weber06

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 09:29:49 PM »
I went to a bridal luncheon that was kosher dairy.  We had salad, salmon, israeli couscous with raisins and craisins, roasted veggies, and salad.  For dessert we had cupcakes with amazing frosting.  That part I'd leave off :)  Other events I've been to had falafel bars, sweet potato bars, chinese food, and pasta stations. 

Usually events are kosher dairy so the good desserts, i.e ice cream and buttercream frosting, can be served.  If you've even had the unfortunate experience of ice milk you'll know where I"m coming from.  If you can find a caterer or a cookbook that provides menus for kosher dairy you should be able to find a meal that's light and suits her allergies.  Good luck!

StaciNadia

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 02:09:28 AM »
Another one:

FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING

Oh, thank you!  That sounds delicious!  I'm asking early so I can make a test-run.

Thank you all for the suggestions!  The night after the bridal luncheon, we're probably inviting all our guests to an Italian buffet, so pasta and salad are covered there, and I think we'll be having fruit cups for our salad course at the reception...  I like the tea sandwiches and crab cakes/fish ideas!  And what is in couscous?  I've never tried that before.  Also, I have a Jewish friend who might be able to show me kosher dairy menus (though I'm not sure if he keeps kosher or not).

Are you sure the frosting would be an issue for her? You might want to double check. My son is allergic to dairy and can have *some* cheese and *some* ice cream now, but he had to grow into that.  For many years he could have virtually NO dairy at all, but buttercream frosting was never a problem for him. I'd check with your friend before making such a big change.

I'm not sure if she can eat buttercream or not, but I've resigned myself to the probability of her not being able to have the wedding cake.  We'll make sure she can have something during all the other courses, though.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:13:01 AM by StaciNadia »

Gigi

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 03:29:55 AM »
Give her an inside piece of cake that has frosting only on the top.  She can eat the cake, and leave the frosting behind.  You can use a fruit filling between the layers, instead of the buttercream too.  Delish!

StaciNadia

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
Is the wedding cake the only dessert?  You could have a non-dairy groom's cake or another type of dessert entirely ...

We're having a candy buffet, too, but considering that most candy is milk chocolate or has cocoa butter, that will be a problem, too.  I can ask her if there are any candies she can eat, or if buttercream frosting is okay.

Give her an inside piece of cake that has frosting only on the top.  She can eat the cake, and leave the frosting behind.  You can use a fruit filling between the layers, instead of the buttercream too.  Delish!

That's a great idea!  An inside piece!  I didn't think about that...