Author Topic: My name is Shatzie, and I am a "yes" addict.  (Read 5580 times)

ChristiKayAnn

Re: My name is Shatzie, and I am a "yes" addict.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »
How about "I have plans." They don't need to know you're planning on spending the night with a book.

"Like what?"  ::)

Some people never drop it. As a result, I find myself forced to be rude - or at least feeling rude - when they won't be satisfied with anything less than "Because I don't WANT to!!!"

This is where I start to get a little rude (because they are being rude by being pushy and nosey) My answer to "why not?" is "Nunya." most people know what that means but if they do not I have no problem telling them it means "none of your business."

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »
Wait. She asked YOU to pick up HER son, because she was in the middle of 'doing something'.
Sooooooo, she didn't plan that her son would be getting out of school, at the same time that he gets out everyday, so that she could go get him herself? Seriously? And why couldn't Dad go get him or bring him home? You have no reason to feel bad, IMO.
"Lack of planning in your part does not constitute and emergency on mine"...practice saying that to her...

Also practice;
"I am sorry. That won't be possible"
"Why"
"It just isn't."

...if she persists...
"I said No."

...and she persists and gets pushy....

"Pppllllleeeaaaasssseee... I am in the middle of something."
"So am I"
"What."
"MY life."
"But..."
"But what? He is YOUR son. Not my problem that you waited until the last minute to arrange transportation for him. Good bye." Hang up.

Maybe it is a bit rude but sometimes you need to to make people understand that when you say NO..you mean it.

Hecuba

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 03:37:59 AM »
In reply to Camlan, "Once I realized that other people expected me to say "Yes" all the time, but had no problem saying "No" to me, I learned how to say "No" in a hurry", this was also my wake-up call. This had to happen more than once for me, but once I made the connection, the doormat was gone. Interestingly enough, I never heard from those people again. And good "dingdangity" riddance.

Best of luck to you, OP.