Author Topic: Spinoff: "Well, that's YOUR opinion."  (Read 4135 times)

NEDESAPIO

Spinoff: "Well, that's YOUR opinion."
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:15:36 AM »
It occurred to me that the line "Well, that's your opinion" is a good variation on "What an interesting assumption."  You use this line when someone makes a rude statement in such a way as to suggest it is irrefutable fact.  For example, a pushy religious zealot says, "All [members of X religion] are going to Hell."  You reply, "Well, that's your opinion" and leave it at that.  The response subjectifies their statement, which is, after all, nothing but an opinion, even though they've been trying to present it as fact.

Actually, I got this line from the movie Inherit the Wind.     

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
Re: Spinoff: "Well, that's YOUR opinion."
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:08:04 PM »
You do have to be careful with the tone of voice on that one.  If we're not careful how we say it, it can come across as showing we consider that opinion to be less/worse/dumber than ours. 

That being said, there are times where people don't seem to understand what it means to agree to disagree.  This seems to be a possible end to those conversations. 

baconsmom

• The novelist currently known as Catherine Winters
    • Catherine Winters
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:39:36 PM »
I've always hated "That's your opinion." I've never heard it used in any but a dismissive manner, and it's usually used to deflect constructive criticisms or honest, sought-after advice.

"Do you think I should tell my mom what a horrible person I think she is?"
"I think that would be unnecessarily harsh and confrontational."
"Well, that's your opinion."

It seems always to pop up on TV shows like "Kitchen Nightmares", and usually in response to some innocuous bit of truth dispensed by the person called in to help.
Follow me on  Twitter!

Like me on Facebook!

Or try something tasty from my blog: Catherine Winters

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 12:42:05 PM »
That's one I would only use in the face of rudeness. The example of telling someone that they were going to hell strikes me as a good one.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

behindbj

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 12:55:15 PM »
I've sometimes used "Well, that's one way to look at it" in a bland manner.

Because - it actually usually is one way to look at whatever it is.

behindbj
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 11:17:24 AM by behindbj »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:50:55 AM »

Because - it actually usually one way to look at whatever it is.

behindbj

Oooh, I like that one!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shortcake

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 11:14:33 AM »

Because - it actually usually one way to look at whatever it is.

behindbj

Oooh, I like that one!

Me too!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

echallenged

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:19 PM »

I also don't think it's appropriate for use in religious discussions, because it assumes that there is no such thing as knowable, objective spiritual truth. A person who would make that type of comment regarding hell would likely NOT believe that their statement is "just an opinion."  A more constructive approach would be to respond, "Why do you say that?" and continue the discussion from there.  If you're not interested in the discussion, just say, "I'm not interested in discussing that."     

There are a lot of Baptists that say Catholics are going to hell and vice versa.  I think the person saying "You're going to hell" has, for the most part, no way of knowing if that's true.  They have now way of determining who goes to hell and who doesn't.  It really is just their opinion. 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:29:10 PM »
I'd stay away from this one-it just comes across as too aggressive a response to whatever the other party is asserting.

Especially with strong emphasis on your.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC