News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 01:43:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a question about roast-ham  (Read 1640 times)

theresa

a question about roast-ham
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »
I bought a ham today at Costco. I have had them before, they are delicious. They are precooked, then I cook it in the oven. The good till date is Feb 5. How can it be good for so long? I know its precooked but should I freeze it until Christmas?

Sahaira

• Angry Citizen
  • Keep On Rollin'
    • Sahaira's Myspace
Re: a question about roast-ham
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:01:40 PM »
Is it vacuum-packed? Ham is also very salty (salt is a preservative) and that extends its shelf-life. It will definitely be good for that long. No need to freeze, and if you were to freeze it, it would get rubbery. I love ham too :) Enjoy!
Don't fear god;
Don't worry about death;
What is good is easy to get;
What is difficult is easy to endure.

theresa

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »
Is it vacuum-packed? Ham is also very salty (salt is a preservative) and that extends its shelf-life. It will definitely be good for that long. No need to freeze, and if you were to freeze it, it would get rubbery. I love ham too :) Enjoy!

It's in plastic so I would say yes. I guess I wont freeze it thanks.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 08:44:29 AM »
The half spiral ham I warmed for Christmas was also pre-cooked and vacuum packed.  The directions said it could be kept in the fridge for about a week and in the freezer for about 3 months before serving. Check the fine print on the outer package for your specific ham.